Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Exclamation Kindle 1.2 update makes boat anchor

I'm home recovering from having steent number 6 installed this past weekend (what a birthday present that was) and was finally feeling good enough today to fiddle with the Kindle again. (rather than just sleep all day long).

Imagine my surprise to discover software 1.2 was attempting to sneak it's way into my Kindle along with my stack of new ebook purchases.

Imagine my surprise when the update reported an error F000 and instructed me to call customer service.

Imagine my horror when customer service informed me the unit had to come back to them to be fixed e.g. there is no emergency re-flash capability!

Yikes!

Then imagine my attempt to follow my cardiologist's directions (heart rate to be kept between 60 and 100 at all times) when they told me my launch day unit was now out-of-warranty and they'd have to charge me for a replacement unit.

Fortunately it was Amazon and when they looked up my account and saw a 2.0 on pre-order, a couple hundred purchased Kindle books and Amazon Prime on my account they decided to over night me a new unit.

Cardiac crisis averted.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone else posted anything about software 1.2 for the Kindle? So I'm guessing this came out since Monday?

Deets here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200226050

Promised features if my unit hadn't committed suicide:

Image zoom: Zoom in on any image in Kindle books or periodicals using the scroll wheel.

Enhanced content management: Delete items directly from the Home screen with a new short-cut key--scroll to the item and push the "backspace" key.

Improved character and font support: New support includes Greek characters and monospace fonts.

Looks like a nice set of updates, assuming you can get your unit to survive the update process.

I must say I am a bit astonished that Amazon doesn't have an emergency re-flash ability in the Kindle. You'd think they had iRex cobble together the software or something.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no issues with the update here...Amazon is treating you good at least
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wow! I'm so sorry your birthday present was surgery though I'm glad you're well.

Good on Amazon so you can have your Kindle while recovering. I installed the upgrade myself and luckily had no problems.

Take care of yourself.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Imagine my horror when customer service informed me the unit had to come back to them to be fixed e.g. there is no emergency re-flash capability!
Dude, that is not right.

Quote:
Anyway, I didn't see anyone else posted anything about software 1.2 for the Kindle? So I'm guessing this came out since Monday?
Actually it's been out for a while. There was a thread about it here a few weeks ago.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
And people wonder why it takes me months to download updates! Glad to hear they took care of you.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I had no trouble.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
See Kindle Upgrade and Kindle now Zooms AZW Images.

There was a teleread post over the weekend on how easy it was to reflash the Kindle. I guess it is easy until it breaks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

A few weeks ago sounds about right. Last time they released an update it took several weeks of waiting for my unit to come up in the rotation.

Fortunately I can hit up Baen for the latest Lt. Leary ARC in BBeB format and read that on my PRS-700.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Smile

Nice to see amazon is treating you well! They probably just wanted to get rid of one of their old kindle 1s lieing around though
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I tried the image zoom on an image that didn't improve. So I'm withholding judgement on that feature so far.

But the "delete from home screen" is GREAT, for me. Sooo much easier.

So -- if they are overnighting one to you -- will you be the FIRST of us to actually get the Kindle 2? Or are they shipping a K1?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've only tried image zoom on previously illegible tables and diagrams in one of my tech books and it worked quite well there.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hey -- glad to hear it does help, sometimes! I'll keep trying it then.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

The shaggy dog story that grows more hair

Well I tracked the return via UPS to Amazon and thought that was the end of it when they signed for it.

But alas it was not to be so.

Instead of it being processed as a returned dead unit to cancel out a "we'll bill you in 30 days if we don't get the dead unit back invoice" it was processed as a customer return.

I get an email yesterday informing me that they were crediting me for $399 minus the re-stocking fee.

I hit the "comment on this refund" link in the email and politely express my desire to not be charged a re-stocking fee for a Kindle they screwed up with their firmware update.

I hear nothing back.

This morning I call and get a woman whom evidently got up on the wrong side of her bed.

After getting a "supervisor" I learn that Amazon didn't just credit me $399 minus restocking fee + sales tax: they put it back on my credit card.

Of course now that I'd called in: Amazon wanted their money back.

No heart burn on my part so I ask if they need my credit card number and they say "Oh no, we'll just take it off the card ending XXXX that we mistakenly put the money back onto."

Only problem: that card was skimmed last year and was canceled (with extreme prejudice) by the bank.

You could hear a pin drop on their end of the phone.

So maybe I don't have their money but they don't have any record of the refund having been refused by the bank. So they'll have to investigate and send me an email when they get it figured out.

So seven hours later I get an email asking me if I'm satisfied with the resolution of the incident.

What resolution?!!?

So I punched the "No, I'm not happy" link and left them a lengthy text box full of explanation of my un-happiness.

My advice: don't let the Amazon firmware updater toast your Kindle, you have no idea what a pain it may be to get it all resolved.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Well at any rate it's not your problem... they put the money on the credit card and didn't mean to; now it's between them and the bank who didn't refuse it. I don't know why you're that unhappy; you got your Kindle 2 (free!) and I don't think Amazon can come after you for more money.

PS - I got my first two stents last month. Cardiologist says my arteries are wide open now though so I'm good as new. Stupid genetics.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Just checked my primary Kindle. It is updated to version 1.2, but now I'm more than a little leery of updating the other two.

I certainly don't want to have to send any of them back and be charged for damage that Amazon caused.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote