Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
eDelivery at Smashwords Looking for Private Beta Users

Hello Mobilereaders!

At Smashwords we are hard at work making your reading experience better. We have a feature in private beta which we think you will be very excited about: the ability to deliver books to your Kindles and Dropbox accounts.

With this feature you can have books delivered automatically to your devices on check-out, or choose to send previously purchased or free books from your library at any time.

To kick this feature off, we'd like to conduct a private beta. The first 25 people to PM me a link to their Smashwords profile will be sent an email at their Smashwords email account on how to get started.

We will be closing the call for beta users as soon as we reach 25 or Monday at 10:30AM PST (whichever comes first), and your invitation email will arrive shortly after.

Thanks for your participation!

-- Case Talbot
Smashwords Engineer

Update: As of Sunday 9PM PST, we still have room for more beta testers. PM me your Smashwords profile link to participate!

Update: As of Monday 12:35 PST, the private beta has commenced and we are no longer accepting requests for beta testers. If you missed out, you'll be able to use the new features as soon as we release, which shouldn't be too far away.

Update: As of Friday, November 15, 2013, we've released Send to Dropbox! Our CEO, Mark Coker, made a great blog post about it.

Update: As of Wednesday, February 12, 2014, we've released Send to Email! Here are the new highlights:

Adds email as a destination for your books to be sent to. We will always send your books from edelivery@smashwords.com *hint, hint*
Adds the ability to configure the formats sent to destinations including dropbox
Adds the ability to configure the email address that books are sent to
Adds the ability to send book samples
Adds the send button to the book action control box, as long as the book is free, a sample is available, or the user has bought the book.

We hope this makes it easier than ever to get books to your tablets.

Last edited by nikkie; 02-12-2014 at 06:02 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Sent you a PM! This sounds exciting. Specially the Dropbox part!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
PM Sent....sounds good
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
PM sent. My interesting part is dropbox, as I don't have a Kindle.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Thanks folks, we're all full for private beta testers for now. If you got in, you should receive an email with instructions shortly!
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It looks very cool, I'd be more likely to consider buying book from Smashwords if I didn't have to manually copy them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
nikkie
Guru

Thanks folks! We've just released Dropbox. Check out the great blog post from Mark Coker.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Thanks folks! We've just released Dropbox. Check out the great blog post from Mark Coker.
I love this feature! Too bad the Send to Kindle had to be removed due to Amazon's new policy. I'm pretty sure Fictionwise use to have it when they were around.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I love this feature! Too bad the Send to Kindle had to be removed due to Amazon's new policy. I'm pretty sure Fictionwise use to have it when they were around.
Wait--what new policy from Amazon? Baen still allows their books to be sent directly to your Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Wait--what new policy from Amazon? Baen still allows their books to be sent directly to your Kindle.

Shari
I don't know I got email from Smashwords saying they had to remove the Kindle option due to Amazon's Policy. I figured it had to be new because Fictionwise use to let you send to Kindle too.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru

As far as I know it is not a new policy. We were not aware that it affected our use of the Send to Kindle feature until they contacted us referring to their Terms of Use and indicated that it was not allowed. I was very surprised that it affected our use as O'Reilly technical books has a similar feature that ships books to your Kindle on purchase.

We were very disappointed to have to pull this feature as, for many users, sideloading is too technically involved. I know I would never be able to teach my grandmother how to sideload a book to the Kindle Fire that I bought her for Christmas.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As far as I know it is not a new policy. We were not aware that it affected our use of the Send to Kindle feature until they contacted us referring to their Terms of Use and indicated that it was not allowed. I was very surprised that it affected our use as O'Reilly technical books has a similar feature that ships books to your Kindle on purchase.

We were very disappointed to have to pull this feature as, for many users, sideloading is too technically involved. I know I would never be able to teach my grandmother how to sideload a book to the Kindle Fire that I bought her for Christmas.
So Amazon is no longer allowing you to email books directly to people's Kindles? I don't understand how they could stop you--it's really no different from me sending something to my Kindle by email.

Shari
Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
shalym
Wizard

I just looked at the Terms of Use that you linked to, and unless you were sending illegal/infringing content, I don't see why Amazon would have an objection. Unless you were charging your customers for the service?

Shari
Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
nikkie
Guru

We definitely do not charge for this.

They can block us because our from email has to be kindle@smashwords.com.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
We definitely do not charge for this.

They can block us because our from email has to be kindle@smashwords.com.
So were you possibly sending things that Amazon construed as being illegal or infringing? Maybe one of your authors had uploaded a book that, while legal in their country of origin, was not legal in the US?

Shari

Tags
delivery, dropbox, kindle, smashwords