Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #61
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anymore pictures out there?
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #62
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
There are many photos online in addition to the ones posted here. What more do you need? The cover works and looks as advertised.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #63
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Kindle Boards has a thread with more photos, if you haven't seen it.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...,125674.0.html

Also, there have been photos posted on Amazon as well under customer images.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #64
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What colour do you think matches the Black kindle best?
The black one of course. The black cover blends seamlessly with black Paperwhite. I have one and I really love it.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #65
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
No leather or bulky cover for my PW - nothing over a 2 oz sleeve for this baby.

Because one of the best things about the PW is that it is only 7.4 oz and "doesn't need the added weight of a light". This one goes in my purse. I tried carrying around the Kindle Fire but it was just to heavy in there!
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #66
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
I have the persimmon cover and it's gorgeous. I don't agree that it's more red than orange though. It has a very reddish tint but it is still very much an orange cover. I'll try to get a photo side by side with my old KK burnt orange cover.

I also ordered the royal purple cover for a gift PW (though the PW itself is on back order). It is a lot darker than the Amazon pictures. The person I ordered it for will still like it but it is a little too dark for my tastes. Someone described it as aubergine (eggplant)... I think that is a good description.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #67
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

What about weight? I like to use my Kindle "naked" because that.

Also, how it feels when folded and what about the edges, are they rounded?
A naked Paperwhite without a case weighs 205 grams while the one with the leather case weighs 340 grams. So, with a case, your Paperwhite would weigh about 65% heavier. It is not a problem for me because I rarely hold the device with my hands and I just use a special stand made my Octovo to hold it on my table.

It feels pretty soft but solid and yes, it's well rounded.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 11-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #68
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Oberon cover for the Kindle Touch can easily be adapted to the Paperwhite.
Without adjustments, there is a little too much play left within the corner holders, although I doubt that the PW would fall out. After all, the PW is only 0.1" smaller in each direction.
Since the covers are so expensive, I certainly did not want to buy another for my new PW (I sold my Touch via Craigslist).
After a few experiments, here is what I did, for less than a dollar. I got some standard felt at the craft store, in black, for about 25 cents. I cut three strips and glued them to the underside of the 3 leather corner retaining straps, tucking the ends of each into the slits through which they emerge. I think any old plain glue will work fine. This is just enough space filler that now the PW is held securely in place, and the black felt is invisible against the black leather corner holders, especially as the PW is black also.
For the custom touch, any hardware store will sell you a roll of a flexible magnetic material (about 1/16 inch thick) that can be cut with scissors. Cut a one inch piece with angled ends, and use the same glue to glue it to the inside of the front cover so that it fits just inside the lower right retaining strap. This is in just the right place to trigger the automatic switch which will turn off the PW when the cover is closed, and turn it on automatically when the cover is opened. The magnet is a little on the visible side, but the convenience is wonderful. Putting the magnet inside the pocket does not work as the magnet is too weak to trigger the switch from behind the leather pocket (that would be nice!). I don't mind the magnet, and the glue seems to be holding it in place (and I have a lot of spare magnet left) so I'm going with that, as I love the auto on and off, the cover closes completely, and the magnet is not terribly conspicuous.
As far as I can tell, few manufacturers other than Amazon are adding these magnets. It looks like the Oberon covers designed for the PW do not, which is a shame, but the cost of hiding the magnet and making it strong enough to work is probably prohibitive.
So if you have a Touch and move on up (way up, in my opinion) to the Paperwhite, keep your Oberon cover, glue in some felt, and you can keep on using your wonderful and beautiful cover with the new reader.

Last edited by SquiddOhio; 11-21-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Removed all references to the Fiscal Cliff.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #69
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
This one isn't real leather and doesn't have a nice clip-in area like the Amazon cover, but for the price it's not bad and does have the wake/sleep magnet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PU-Leath...item2ec2b0c66f
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
The Oberon cover for the Kindle Touch can easily be adapted to the Paperwhite.
Without adjustments, there is a little too much play left within the corner holders, although I doubt that the PW would fall out. After all, the PW is only 0.1" smaller in each direction.
Since the covers are so expensive, I certainly did not want to buy another for my new PW (I sold my Touch via Craigslist).
After a few experiments, here is what I did, for less than a dollar. I got some standard felt at the craft store, in black, for about 25 cents. I cut three strips and glued them to the underside of the 3 leather corner retaining straps, tucking the ends of each into the slits through which they emerge. I think any old plain glue will work fine. This is just enough space filler that now the PW is held securely in place, and the black felt is invisible against the black leather corner holders, especially as the PW is black also.
For the custom touch, any hardware store will sell you a roll of a flexible magnetic material (about 1/16 inch thick) that can be cut with scissors. Cut a one inch piece with angled ends, and use the same glue to glue it to the inside of the front cover so that it fits just inside the lower right retaining strap. This is in just the right place to trigger the automatic switch which will turn off the PW when the cover is closed, and turn it on automatically when the cover is opened. The magnet is a little on the visible side, but the convenience is wonderful. Putting the magnet inside the pocket does not work as the magnet is too weak to trigger the switch from behind the leather pocket (that would be nice!). I don't mind the magnet, and the glue seems to be holding it in place (and I have a lot of spare magnet left) so I'm going with that, as I love the auto on and off, the cover closes completely, and the magnet is not terribly conspicuous.
As far as I can tell, few manufacturers other than Amazon are adding these magnets. It looks like the Oberon covers designed for the PW do not, which is a shame, but the cost of hiding the magnet and making it strong enough to work is probably prohibitive.
So if you have a Touch and move on up (way up, in my opinion) to the Paperwhite, keep your Oberon cover, glue in some felt, and you can keep on using your wonderful and beautiful cover with the new reader.
Thank you so much for this, this is just what I needed to hear! I'm still waiting for my PW to arrive but I actually held on to my Oberon cover because I thought I'd still be able to use it for the PW. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting some pictures?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #71
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

I'll try to get some pictures posted soon.
I checked the stats for the PW carefully in the hope that my it would fit into the Oberon Touch Cover. I saw that the PW was one tenth of an inch smaller in each dimension (I'm not sure about thickness), so I went ahead figuring that this was pretty close. Unaltered, the PW has a bit of wiggle room, which makes me wonder about all the older cases now advertised to fit either the touch or the paperwhite. Anyway, putting some felt strips for filler inside the big pocket behind the PW will work also, but it's not as effective, and not nearly as elegant.
Gluing the felt to the underside of the three leather corner retaining straps makes for a perfect fit, is almost invisible (the felt, the straps and the PW are all black), and the PW is actually easier to get into and out of the cover than the Touch. (I think because the felt gives a little, but I'm not sure. Also, with the PW, I slide it into the two corners on the left, then force the third strap over the bottom right corner - then finish with the elastic. Note that even the Oberon people struggle a little getting the Touch device into the case on their videos.)
Finally, Oberon notes that the extra space around the edge of the cover gives extra protection against mishaps on the side - that space is now 0.1 inch greater, and every little bit helps.
I went slow, and cutting the felt and gluing it to the bottom of the straps took about fifteen minutes.
Considering that these are surely the best, but pricy, cases available, I think this is a nice way to keep the cover when upgrading. I looked for a place to post this info on the Oberon site, but could not find one.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #72
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Due to an overwhelming number of requests (I am easily overwhelmed), I have some photos of the two modifications I have made to my Oberon Touch cover so that it (a) my Paperwhite fits snugly into the straps and (b) the magnet switch is triggered upon opening and closing.
The first two photos show that the felt strips glued to the underside of the three retaining straps are invisible except upon the closest of inspections.
The third photo shows the felt glued to the underside of the corner retaining strap, with a note to tuck the ends of the felt strips into the little slits that go through the Oberon leather backing upon which the Kindle rests.
The fourth and fifth photos are for those who may want to add a magnet and eliminate the need to use the button on the bottom edge of the Kindle to turn it on and off (who can live like that?). The "magnet tape" is pretty standard, and is sold in hardware and craft stores everywhere. It has some sticky on one side, but it is not strong enough to really hold the magnet in place on the cover - use some real glue. I used a little too much glue which shows in the photo, but I will get that off when I get motivated and when I get laughed at in the doctor's waiting room for being so sloppy with such a fine piece of leather.
The felt pieces are easy to get and easy to cut and glue into position. The magnet is optional, of course, and I wish it were a little less conspicuous, but the convenience is very nice.
I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle in case from above-800x728.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	96722   Click image for larger version

Name:	invisible felt padding-661x800.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	96723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuck Felt-800x563.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	96724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locate Magnet-800x529.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	96725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnet Tape-800x594.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	96726  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #73
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very nice job. Thanks for taking the time to share the pics.

Quote:
The magnet is optional, of course, and I wish it were a little less conspicuous, but the convenience is very nice.
I hope this helps.
Would it be possible to tuck a small magnet inside the pocket on the Oberon in that same area and have it work the same so the magnet could be more discreet?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #74
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur

No. I tried that first, of course, but the magnets are too weak to trigger the switch; the leather is thick, and the corner retaining band also adds more space between the magnet and the switch. A magnet big enough to trigger the switch from inside the pocket would be too big to fit inside the pocket.
Not that you should not try to find one.
Let us know.
Finally, the piece of magnet that I cut, shown in the photos above, may be a bit larger than necessary - I did not run a lot of tests. As far as I was able to determine, however, to be reliable it should be about that size. Also, the strip has sharp edges which I rounded off a bit with a Dremel tool.
This is the best I can do.
I've obviously got some time on my hands, but there is a limit.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #75
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
No. I tried that first, of course, but the magnets are too weak to trigger the switch; the leather is thick, and the corner retaining band also adds more space between the magnet and the switch.
I tried it and it worked for me inside the pocket. Maybe the strip magnets are just too weak? Might be worth trying the kind I used as it did work for me inside the pocket.

This is the magnet I used from the back of a bag clip.