Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Kindle Touch hangs when updating to v5.0.4

I'm trying to update firmware from v5.0.3 (wifi, unhacked) to v5.0.4.

I've waited for over half an hour now, and it's still stuck at the first updating screen (screen 1/2). What am I supposed to do now? I'm at my wits end! Please help!!!!!
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I'm trying to update firmware from v5.0.3 (wifi, unhacked) to v5.0.4.

I've waited for over half an hour now, and it's still stuck at the first updating screen (screen 1/2). What am I supposed to do now? I'm at my wits end! Please help!!!!!
I just updated my kindle and it took about 3 minutes to complete....i would suggest to do a hard reset if you're device is not responding!
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
lumanz
lumanz began at the beginning.

Device: Bold 9000/Kindle Keyboard/Kindle Touch
I didn't find any difference.
lumanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
After applying the update I could not wake it up initially, so I forced restart, and now it is okay.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I did a hard reset. I was worried at first that it may 'brick' the reader (because of the very stern warning that I shouldn't be playing with the on/off button), but it didn't. Fortunately it rebooted and went back to v5.0.3.

I cleared out the ebooks in the storage and tried again, and the update went through without a glitch this time. I didn't think 200 odd ebooks could cause a problem!

Anyway, functionally, v5.0.4 seems to be the same as v5.0.3. The only difference is the version number.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe 5.0.4 is the firmware that handles KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
freebird75
freebird75 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Has anyone found a changelog of the 5.0.4 update?
freebird75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
I've a jailbreak KT 5.0.3. also installed yifanlus Launcher, orientation extension, start usbnetwork extension, screensaver hack, auto-rotate hack and font hack. managed to upgrade to 5.0.4 successfully without uninstalling any of the hacks.

after upgrading, all the hacks still work. the only one that needs to be repaired was the auto-rotate hack as the jar file was overwritten by the upgrade.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe 5.0.4 is the firmware that handles KF8.
I'd be surprised if that only merited a "third digit" version increment - they generally indicate maintenance releases. I'd expect a "5.1" for the KF8 support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Anyway, functionally, v5.0.4 seems to be the same as v5.0.3. The only difference is the version number.
I unpacked and examined the update.

The main thing that changed was the linux kernel.

This update required two reboots. The second reboot showed an "updating" screen that included "2/2".

I also compared my main system partition image backup before and after the upgrade, by mounting the image files and comparing all the files inside them. The main difference between them was that they changed the list of search bar shortcut commands from a .js file to a .json file, and moved it up to its parent folder.

Although there was a "new" busybox in the update, after upgrading, my busybox was identical to the previous one. There were comments in an install script in the update package that these files were for kernel installation support.

Also, the diagnostics partition did not change.

As far as I can tell, it was mainly a linux kernel update. Perhaps they fixed a bug in a built-in kernel device driver or something. Will need to study the GPL source code changes to see what changed in the linux kernel...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote