Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
JRyn
JRyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch: Anyway to go to Recovery Mode???

Hi guys, I'm just a new member here.

I just bought Kindle Touch for 10 days, but today it's already dead and the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."

I tried to restart by holding on/off button 20 seconds many times ,still stuck with Repair Needed page. I plugged in USB cable with my notebook ,It rebooted and Kindle drive could be seen for 20-30 seconds .Then "Repair Needed Page" came back and Kindle drive disappeared.

I found some thread here about this problem but with Kindle 2. And Meem said that just put your kindle to "Recovery Mode" can solve this problem.

<Here>

Quote:
I entered to "Recovery Mode" by hold "HOME" button for a couple of seconds while restarting (exactly while the screen flashes from black to white before "Amazon Kindle" logo appearance)
Quote:Type ‘RESET’ to reset to factory defaults
I typed it then the system reset has been done successfully, and I have ability to use my Kindle normally again.

D'you guys know how to go to "Recovery Mode" in Kindle Touch????

Note:

I contacted Amazon Customer Service. They said within 30 days I just need to send it back for replacement. There is NO Way I can fix it by myself.

But the problem is I bought it from Chinese unofficial dealer (for about 135$) and I live in China. Amazon Customer Service said they can not send back Kindle Touch to anywhere outside USA. So, I may have to let them send to some of my friend in US. and ask them to send me here with the total delivery cost and custom around 50$ which I won't complain if there is really really No Way to fix it here by myself.

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-17-17.51.22.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	80055  
JRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyn View Post
Hi guys, I'm just a new member here.

I just bought Kindle Touch for 10 days, but today it's already dead and the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."
Can you see it as a USB Drive when connected to a PC? There is a trigger file you can put on it to bypass the "Repair Needed" message so it will continue booting (according to the startup scripts). I will look it up if you can add files to your USB Drive.

Also, it can possibly be repaired using the internal serial port. You can read about that on the Kindle Touch Jailbreak threads. Yifanlu understands you that stuff works better than most members here, I think.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
JRyn

Thank Geekmaster for your reply.

I can see and access the Kindle Drive for 20-30 seconds. So I guess it's enough for put that file you mentioned. I'd like to give that shot but I don't know How I can get that file.

Anyway, so this problem is just some boot file damage?. Is there any thread about this "Repair Needed" problem in Kindle Touch?. I tried search this forum but found nothing for KindleTouch.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyn View Post
Thank Geekmaster for your reply.

I can see and access the Kindle Drive for 20-30 seconds. So I guess it's enough for put that file you mentioned. I'd like to give that shot but I don't know How I can get that file.

Anyway, so this problem is just some boot file damage?. Is there any thread about this "Repair Needed" problem in Kindle Touch?. I tried search this forum but found nothing for KindleTouch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyn
Thanks Geekmaster. So I just put that file in Kindle Drive? Would you give me some clue how to get that file?.
My Kindle4 came with that file already on the USB Drive, and I saw another user who had it on his. I am looking now...

It is a zero-length file called DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR

It does not have a file extension. This can be a bit difficult to create from windows. On linux you can use a touch command. From a DOS window you could do domething like
echo X > DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR
but that would create a one-byte file (okay because the scripts just check whether the file exists.

Beware that the file CANNOT have a .txt extension on the filename.

You can find out what the problem is from the diagnostic logs on the kindle. You need access to a command shell (SSH or telnet) on it --OR-- you need to connect to the kindle internal serial port, to see the log files.

You need to install the jailbreak to SSH into it, as described on the forum.

I am going by what the K4 and earlier kindles used for getting past that error screen. My Touch is scheduled to be delivered later today.

On my kindle3, the script:
/etc/init.d/framework
contains code to set or check the DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR file.
If that file is missing, the kindle halts if the battery ID is not authorized by amazon, or if the framework (GUI) could not start.
If that file exists, the framework startup code drops to a command prompt (presumably on the serial port).

Unless you can SSH or telnet into your kindle to repair it, you may need to add a DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR file, and connect using a serial port cable (documented in the Touch Jailbreak threads).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
JRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Unless you can SSH or telnet into your kindle to repair it, you may need to add a DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR file, and connect using a serial port cable (documented in the Touch Jailbreak threads).
Really appreciate you help ,Geekmaster although I can't do either ways.

The first one, I read Jailbreak threads and found out that if I'm not wrong it's impossible to jail break my KT in my condition. The second one, I don't have serial to USB converter ,even have none spudger to open the back plate.Most of all ,it seems very complicate above my ken and need weeks to study.

So finally I may have to return it to US and ask someone send the replacement one back to me.

thanks you anyway.
Advert