Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #256
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertram1970 View Post
how do you remove items in the carousel
You can't remove books but if you clear the data in the appmanager app it will remove the apps icons and websites for the moment till you use them again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #257
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimad View Post
Sorry, I just went back and tried carefully again. This isn't working on my KFire.
OK, after playing some more here is what I CAN get to work:

Download a free book to /Download

Use a file manager to move that book to /Docs

touch it up using File Expert.

now I go Home, go Docs, and at least some of the time my book is there.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #258
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, after playing some more here is what I CAN get to work:

Download a free book to /Download

Use a file manager to move that book to /Docs

touch it up using File Expert.

now I go Home, go Docs, and at least some of the time my book is there.
What format is the book? If you reboot do they all show up?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #259
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Cant u just hit synch instead of reboot for some book types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #260
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Cant u just hit synch instead of reboot for some book types?
No. Sideloaded books loaded other then the USB method wont show up unless you Restart or use File Expert to open them via the Kindle app.
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #261
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The book in question was a mobi. In general I have been having trouble getting all the books I have in /Documents to show up, even after reboot. I just touched up a txt file I had there using File Expert, and now I can open that in Quickoffice. Strange that File Expert doesn't allow one to touch up a txt file to tell it to open in "Kindle" -- given that Kindles support txt files.

I also touched up a .prc "Thank You" letter from Amazon that is in /Documents and it still doesn't show correctly.

So, it all kind of works but not really and I haven't been able to figure out they why or where for.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #262
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The book in question was a mobi. In general I have been having trouble getting all the books I have in /Documents to show up, even after reboot. I just touched up a txt file I had there using File Expert, and now I can open that in Quickoffice. Strange that File Expert doesn't allow one to touch up a txt file to tell it to open in "Kindle" -- given that Kindles support txt files.

I also touched up a .prc "Thank You" letter from Amazon that is in /Documents and it still doesn't show correctly.

So, it all kind of works but not really and I haven't been able to figure out they why or where for.
Sounds like something is wrong. I would do a factory reset.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #263
Sylvia2
Sylvia2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
This doesn't work consistently for me

Quote:
To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book.

You can do this in Calibre.

From Calibre's Book Conversion window click on MOBI output
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and reconvert book.
It should now show up with your other books on the Fire.

You can set Calibre to permanently do this in
Preferences/Output options/MOBI output.
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and click apply at the top.

Note: If you don't care about the books showing up in the carousel then just email them to your Kindle. This will use the Personal Documents Cloud and you will be able synch those without modifying them in Calibre.
I have followed these directions yet every third to fourth book I add using Calibre shows up in documents. I can't be the only person who can't understand simple directions, can I?

I use the convert book (brown book) box at the top of the Calibre page; along the left hand side of the new page under Mobi output I have deleted the [pdoc] label even though there is seldom one there. I also set up preferences for permanent deletion of pdoc; yet the books still insist on going to documents. Please help - and please tell me what to do in a simple way.

BTW - has anyone figured out how to best handle series of books on kindle? The series I have added do not show the name in books - only the book cover. How are people handling this?

Thanks - I'm a newbie and I love my KF - giving one to my husband for Christmas!
Sylvia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #264
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
I found that if I deleted all the formats in Calibre except mobi (there's a command that will let you do that in a batch), make sure I have covers for each book.... THEN, reconvert with [pdoc] removed to mobi (the old mobi's will rename and not transfer over) . Then all my books would go to the books area.

There were several books that I had that I couldn't scout covers for - I just let Calibre make covers for them, then I'd have the title.

Regarding series: the only way I know to put them in order is to put a number in the title before the last mobi conversion that removed the pdoc tag.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #265
Sylvia2

I hate to sound quite so stupid, but could you give mre specific steps for this?

1 - Select several books at a time?

2 - Delete formats except MOBI - this puzzles me- how do I do this? Which screen am I using? edit metadata? convert?

I am really sorry - I just can't see the steps to take.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #266
Sylvia2

Hmm - I did something that worked - I selected a group of books and then clicked edit metadata. There is a little box on the top left of the screen that says remove format = thereare 3 choices and I selected remove original mobi. On conversion page I unchecked a box that says "use saved conversions". Not sure which it was or the both together, but now they are books! Thank you.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #267
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia2 View Post
I hate to sound quite so stupid, but could you give mre specific steps for this?

1 - Select several books at a time?

2 - Delete formats except MOBI - this puzzles me- how do I do this? Which screen am I using? edit metadata? convert?

I am really sorry - I just can't see the steps to take.

1. Open Calibre
2. Select All Books (ctl-a)
3. Select remove books and hit the down arrow - select remove all files except of a specific format
4. Select all books again
5. Select covert books in bulk - change the Mobi OUTPUT to remove the pdoc tag
6a. Select ok
6. Now sync your books to your KF

Hope this helps,
Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #268
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Browser Favorites, Home Page, etc

I have trouble keeping home pages and favorites working (via history) in the installed browser and in Opera. I find working with the browsers much more difficult than with a laptop--pages open when they shouldn't. Can't open a page. And when I use the mobile mode, the fonts are too small, and you can't zoom. A mouse, laptop, and a favorites seems to be much easier. Suggestions?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 12-18-2011 at 01:57 AM.
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #269
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
I have trouble keeping home pages and favorites working (via history) in the installed browser and in Opera. I find working with the browsers much more difficult than with a laptop--pages open when they shouldn't. Can't open a page. And when I use the mobile mode, the fonts are too small, and you can't zoom. A mouse, laptop, and a favorites seems to be much easier. Suggestions?

kdoc
At someone else's suggestion here, I downloaded the Dolphin Mini browser, and I use it exclusively now on my Fire. I need big fonts by default, and it lets me do that (although to be fair some pages look a little bit "scrambled" in the title lines when I have the page showing really big. On those pages I just go smaller.) It uses a beautiful customizable speed dial as the home page. The best thing about it, though, is that when you hit the menu icon at the bottom and then hit "exit," it exits and deletes history so nothing comes up on the carousel except the green dolphin logo. I got so frustrated trying to actually get out of the Silk browser cleanly. I never use it at all anymore.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #270
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Well, apart from the larger fonts when on a "mobile" site, does it allow you to save many pages on the speed dial with ease, and retrieve them quickly?

Incidentally, Opera has something like that, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to set them and keep them set. What I've set seems to come and go.

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote