Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
wtw1936
wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.wtw1936 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
Easy PDF ebook conversion. Eliminates header/footers

There've been a wide variety of suggestions for converting PDF ebooks and generating readable epub or mobi files. I've found no free software that do not produce files with headers and footers merged into the text, often in the middle of a sentence.

Calibre will convert directly from PDF, but unless you're thoroughly familiar with Regular Expression (Regex) editing, you'll probably be left with headers & footers inserted in the text. Even if you are facile with Regex, every book requires a new Regex construction and the process is very tedious and slow.

If you don't demand a perfectly formatted conversion and only need an easily readable one, then the following procedure is simple and works well enough:

1) Use Briss to crop headers/footers. Open the PDF file and cancel the initial page selection. I generally delete all crop windows except one that works for one set of pages, then use right-click to select it and copy it to all page sets. Save resulting cropped file for next step.

2) Open the cropped file created in step 1 in Mobipocket Reader. Opening the file automatically creates a *.prc file which by default is saved (on my Windows XP system) in MyDocuments\My eBooks.

3) In Calibre use Add Books to open the *.prc file created in step 2. Edit Metadata to get proper Title/Author/Synopsis/Cover. Convert to desired format and Save to Disk.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Software referred to above:
Briss: http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
Mobipocket Reader: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ailsreader.asp
Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/
wtw1936 is offline   Reply With Quote