Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
leo315
Edge User

Which android phone as companion for EE?

Which phone with market access would you recommend as companion for EE?

Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo315 View Post
Which phone with market access would you recommend as companion for EE?
Depends on your needs but I would go with one using a TI Omap CPU. I like the original droid.

Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Nate
Edge User

Hmmm, well, I have the Samsung Moment right now (not recommended, as it's over a year old now, and there's much better phones available), which would probably go nice with the EE, but I would think any Android phone would also work...
though, I would recommend something that can actually act as a WiFi router so you can tether it to the Edge when you need to! (like the Evo and Epic 4G)

Other then that, just pick a cellular carrier that you like, with plans that you're comfortable paying, and then pick one of their top Android phones! Personally, I have Sprint, which is has the cheapest plans, and really good coverage in most places, plus free roaming on Verizon when you don't have coverage.

Here are the phones I'd recommend for each carrier in the US:
Verizon: Droid X or Droid 2
AT&T: Samsung Captivate
Sprint: Evo 4G or Epic 4G
T-Mobile: Samsung Vibrant

Other then that, I'd recommend playing around with a few phones in a store to see which one you like the best!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
guyjack
Edge User

I have the Moment as well. I love it, but I am getting the Epic 4G the day after tomorrow!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
jcase
Edge User

I suggest a Droid 1, its spec wise not out dated at all, and out preforms most modern devices. Plus its cheap.

Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
OncTech
Edge User

Any opinions on the Droid 2? Like leo315 I too am in the market for a new cell phone.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

My opinion is to wait until November, when all the companies, especially Verizon and T-mobile, are set to launch new products. The tech sites are full of rumors and unofficial speculations, but it looks like there will be some fantastic devices out there. Since one of the rumors includes the Verizon launch of the "pocket edge", who knows - it could even be a phone/tablet cross like the Dell Streak on AT&T.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

I'm trying to picture a "mini" eDGe (the Pocket eDGe, and it's dual screen isn't it?) that is also a cell phone. I'd probably have to use a Bluetooth headset (or a wired one), but I'd also probably have to "open" the Pocket eDGe to make calls (unless there's voice dialing). Mind you, this would make it easy to check your calender, social networking, websites, email, etc., during the course of the call. This would be a radical new communication form factor. Could be neat, but I'm sure the bloggers will roast the idea, especially after they couldn't grok the original eDGe as a student device...

A flight of fancy perhaps. My original impression was that the PE would be a data device, like the iPAD, rather than a phone, like the HTC, iPhone, etc...

In any case, waiting for a specific phone module to be released after months of rumours and waiting drives me nuts (I did it last year with the Samsung Omnia II). And even when the new models come out this fall, another round will come out in the Spring (WinMo 7 was announced just months after I got my Samsung, and my Samsung is now "obsolete"). Given the nature of smartphones, I'd recommend picking one you like now and go for it. It, and any other one you wait for, will be obsolete in months and you'll "regret" your purchase and not having waited