Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
PhotoMatt
PhotoMatt began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Calibre re-wraps poetry

Even though I have poetry indented several spaces, Calibre insists on re-wrapping it.

Is there anything I can do about it? Is there something in preferences that I have missed?

Thanks for help.

I am attempting to convert .txt to .ePub.
PhotoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've used a trick in Microsoft Word to allow indents where I want them. I use a series of characters like "%" or "$" at the beginnings of the lines and from "Font Color" I select the white background. Then I save the document as HTML (.htm) and from there use calibre to convert it to whatever format I like. The result is that the lines are indented as I want (the white characters don't show), but there surely must be an easier, less "messy" way.

I also use Word to indent entire paragraphs before sending it to calibre.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You need to set your paragraph structure in text input. Try setting single line paragraphs.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
MamaSylvia
Enthusiast
MamaSylvia doesn't litterMamaSylvia doesn't litter

Device: Droid 1, Kindle 3
If you're not married to the .txt format, I've had good results from scanning into an HTML file (which also allows links from the TOC to the actual poem) and using Calibre to convert to Kindle format. It held the poem formatting just fine.
MamaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
PhotoMatt
PhotoMatt began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I need to make .epub from both versions. Yeah, I have tried the html and it converts great.

Thank you.
PhotoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I would recommend using something like Markdown or Textile formatting. Set the formatting to the one you use and then set the paragraph style to off. That is your best bet for poetry. Otherwise no matter what setting you choose for conversion the lines will either be indented or have an empty line between them. The non-markdown and non-textile conversion treats blocks as: heading, subheading, or paragraph.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I'd recommend using Textile, you can then add a paragraph style (poem) to the paragraph, and when converting, in the extra CSS, add a poem style.

Put this in a txt file, convert with
Txt-Input -> Paragraph style - Off
Txt-Input -> Formatting style - Textile
And use the ExtraCSS in the Look and Feel->Extra CSS

Code:
Here's a few lines of a poem in a 'poem' style.

p(poem). 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves 
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; 
All mimsy were the borogoves, 
And the mome raths outgrabe. 

And now back to normal.
Code:
.poem {padding-left:10%; padding-right:10%; text-indent:0; text-align: left; font-style: italic;}
Adjust extra css to suiit.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote