Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
werunom
werunom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Syncing notes, highlights of personal documents

Hello all.

I have few personal documents, which I have converted to azw and loaded to the kindle 3. And while reading in the kindle, I have highlighted various points and have written few notes.
But there are times when I want to read the same documents in my PC. I have put the same documents in azw format in Kindle for PC. But I am not finding a way to manually copy/transfer the clippings.txt from my K3 to PC so that I get the same highlights and notes.
Is there a way to do that?

While trying several possibilities, I tried the following. I deleted a book [personal doc converted to azw] in my K3 which had several highlights. I copied the fresh copy to K3. The clippings.txt still has the old copy's highlights and notes. but when i open the fresh copy, the kindle says that there are no notes & highlights.
I thought that even though I put a new copy of the same book, the Kindle would be able to match the highlights from clippings.txt to this new copy of the same book. But it is not doing that.
Is there a way out of this trouble?

Basically I have these questions -
> How to see the same highlights and notes in my PC for personal documents, which have been highlighted in my K3?
> In k3, i want to map the clippings present in txt to the new copy of the same book copied

Thanks guys. Any help would be appreciable.
werunom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The short answer is... you can't.

The best you can hope for with the synchronization of non-Amazon content is the "furthest page read." Highlights, bookmarks and annotations will only sync across devices with Amazon purchased content.

To manually transfer the clippings??? I don't know... it may be possible. It might be tied in with the companion .mbp file.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-07-2011 at 07:57 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I haven't done this myself, but if you add an ASIN to the metadata, then your personal document will look like an Amazon book and the synching will occur.

This thread seems to cover the details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113315
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I haven't done this myself, but if you add an ASIN to the metadata, then your personal document will look like an Amazon book and the synching will occur.
That will only synchronize your "furthest read point." It doesn't work for highlights, bookmarks, or annotations, unfortunately.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
werunom
werunom began at the beginning.

Thanks guys for replying.
Not able to manual copy/transfer the highlights would be sad.

Anyways ... thanks for clearing this out.
werunom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You can view your notes and highlights on K4PC if you copy both the exact book file and the accompanying .mbp into the My Kindle Content folder where your K4PC books are stored.

Then you'll at least be able to see your marked-up stuff when reading the K4PC copy. At least, this is how it works for my K4Mac install and the older K4PC I've got running under Wine.

But it's a one way trip, as the new format that K2+2.5 firmware and K3 use for .mbp files is different from the one that K4apps generate when you add notes & highlights and the K2/K3 will not read a similarly transferred file that that originated from the K4app.

Amazon really ought to include an "export notes and highlights" feature now that they've broken the old way of extracting them using the MBPReader script.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford began at the beginning.

Same trick works for the Mac. Download DesktopUtility, select "Show Invisible Files".
Then copy the .doc file and the .mbp file from your Kindle, using the USB cable, to your hidden Kindle file on your drive, which is Library/Application Files/Kindle/My Kindle Content. Open Kindle for Mac -- voila!
Rob Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Also, see here:

http://www.klippingskollector.com/

Quote:
Klippings Kollector™ (Patent Pending) imports highlights & notes made in your Kindle® to your computer and rapidly tags, sorts, organizes and prints reports on key people, events, vocabulary, quotes & far more!
I know that it works with non-Amazon mobi books, but I'm not sure about the extent of personal document formats. You could ask on the forums.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote