Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Please recommend a horror novel with pianos and music

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the apropriate forum, but I'm searching for a good horror novel in which pianos and music play an important role. It is not a book I've read, it's just one I would really like to read. If it also includes an old house and upper class characters would be great.

!!

please don't spoil
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the apropriate forum, but I'm searching for a good horror novel in which pianos and music play an important role. It is not a book I've read, it's just one I would really like to read. If it also includes an old house and upper class characters would be great.

!!

please don't spoil
This looks like you want a book SUGGESTION, rather than "I remember thus; what's the name of the book I remember". There are probably better places for "please suggest a book" (but I can't think where -- somebody else?)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Post now moved.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thanks Don! RobertoOG, You'll get more suggestions here, I hope!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Thanks Don! RobertoOG, You'll get more suggestions here, I hope!

Thank you.

His title is somewhat misleading in that it doesn't tell us that he's looking for books in those areas, but he'll have to PM me for any change. It's up to him. Hopefully, he'll read this post.
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

He requested a title change.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'll make this recommendation with two caveats:
1: I haven't read the book myself because
2: There's no e-book version available

Having said that, you might check out The Mephisto Waltz by Fred Mustard Stewart.

It was also turned into a film (though I haven't seen that either).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're willing to branch out into horror dealing with the world of music (specifically rock music), there's:

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Armageddon Rag by George R.R. Martin
The Scream by Skipp and Spector
The Kill Riff by David J. Schow

Those last two especially are pretty cheesy.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ZodWallop, I've already read Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, I'll give "The Mephisto Waltz" a try, anyway I'm still open to other horror books with pianos
Old 01-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Beast With Five Fingers by W.F. Harvey
You can find it at Project Gutenberg and Librivox.
It was also a 1940s movie with Robert Alda and Peter Lorre.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
I'm still open to other horror books with pianos
You didn't say that they have to be good. So I bring you Joplin's Ghost. Again, I haven't read it, but I loved the two star review "Some foolishness about a homicidal piano."

I also found the public domain The Lost Stradivarius. Violin instead of a piano. But close enough for government work.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
RobertoOG
Enthusiast

Thanks BenG, sounds good

Hey ZodWallop, the book must be good...