Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
PB360 fbreader config linebreak setting not working

Whan I change the linebreak setting while in a book, nothing changes. I have tried setting to empty line. I am assuming this would give an extra line between paragraphs, but doesn't seem to do anything. This is on a mobipocket book. Any suggestions? Does is work in some formats?
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I will have to ask firmware developers about that
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am not sure if FBReader on the 360 has the same config screens as on other Linux or Nokia OS2008 versions, but to adjust the spacing between paragraphs you want to go to the FORMAT tab/screen and set the options for the REGULAR PARAGRAPH. You should see a number of settings. Change the values for SPACE BEFORE and SPACE AFTER. On my Nokia N800 I set those both to "5" (remember they work together. To work with those settings I also set the LINE SPACING value on the same tab/screen to 1.2 and have all my indents to "0".

FBReader uses STYLE based config and it's super once you get over the hump of having so much config control. In fact the STYLES tab/screen works with the FORMAT settings for each "paragraph style" within a book format. And the settings are universal not on a per book basis.

Not having the 360 yet, I can't help you find the correct settings screen/tab and the only versions of FBReader are the one which runs on the Linux like OS2008 on the Nokia N800 as also the pretty pitiful Windows XP version. But my guess is all work the same way even if the access to the settings are different, meaning what you need to change should use the same names even if you access the settings differently.

Hope that helps.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I am not sure if FBReader on the 360 has the same config screens as on other Linux or Nokia OS2008 versions, but to adjust the spacing between paragraphs you want to go to the FORMAT tab/screen and set the options for the REGULAR PARAGRAPH. You should see a number of settings. Change the values for SPACE BEFORE and SPACE AFTER. On my Nokia N800 I set those both to "5" (remember they work together. To work with those settings I also set the LINE SPACING value on the same tab/screen to 1.2 and have all my indents to "0".

FBReader uses STYLE based config and it's super once you get over the hump of having so much config control. In fact the STYLES tab/screen works with the FORMAT settings for each "paragraph style" within a book format. And the settings are universal not on a per book basis.

Not having the 360 yet, I can't help you find the correct settings screen/tab and the only versions of FBReader are the one which runs on the Linux like OS2008 on the Nokia N800 as also the pretty pitiful Windows XP version. But my guess is all work the same way even if the access to the settings are different, meaning what you need to change should use the same names even if you access the settings differently.

Hope that helps.
No the pocketbook 360 doesn't have quite the same config control. It does have a styles.xml to make more comprehensive changes but I haven't been able to get the spaceBefore and spaceAfter to work the way I want (following the formatting that is used in the styles.xml file.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

geeze, I was afraid that wonderful degree of control was taken out to get it running on a reader. Thanks for letting me know.

To be honest about the only reason I like FBReader is because of the amazing degree of control it offers on other platforms. And your typical user is, well, not going to be able to find and modify the style.xml file. Now it brings up the question, what changes were made to the styles/config controls exposed. I mean it could be that those to properties are simply not there to be set by the user which could explain why they don't work.

I did some checking on my Windows version of FBReader and the changes I made were not saved to the styles.xml file. I am not sure where they are saved but that could be why you can't make it happen if you are adding the changes to the original styles.xml. Then again if you do make changes there, sans an over-riding entry in whatever custom "styles.xml" file, then it "should" make changes to the default look and feel of FBR.

I am sort of out of it tonight as I had to take one of my stronger meds tonight, but if I can find more I'll post it for ya to try. BTW, as for me knowing where stuff is stored on a Linux device...the last time I managed a -ix network was in 1991-1993 and I've kept away from it ever since...long painful story.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
No the pocketbook 360 doesn't have quite the same config control. It does have a styles.xml to make more comprehensive changes but I haven't been able to get the spaceBefore and spaceAfter to work the way I want (following the formatting that is used in the styles.xml file.
I have the original firmware and changing the space after works for me.
I have edited the config in /system/something file. You can find the config file when you connect the PocketBook to your PC. MAKE BACKUP FIRST! ;-)
Later today I will post my configuration.

Setting of paragraph breaks from FBReader settings screen is not for display, it is for book source file.
Sometimes you load text file that has hard line breaks inside the paragraph and paragraphs are delimited by an empty line or by line with indent. A good example is "plain vanilla text" from Project Gutenberg. So you can tell FBReader to reformat the book for you by replacing line breaks with spaces inside paragraphs.

Last edited by kacir; 11-20-2009 at 02:54 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I did some checking on my Windows version of FBReader and the changes I made were not saved to the styles.xml file.
Under Windows the settings are in the registry, under Linux they are in .xml files. It is probably possible to move settings from Desktop FBReader to the PocketBook, but the latter seems to be using a relatively old version of FBReader (based on the MOBI images bug still being present). At one time all the settings were numbers but now they can be names which are more human readable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have the original firmware and changing the space after works for me.
I have edited the config in /system/something file. You can find the config file when you connect the PocketBook to your PC. MAKE BACKUP FIRST! ;-)
Later today I will post my configuration.

Setting of paragraph breaks from FBReader settings screen is not for display, it is for book source file.
Sometimes you load text file that has hard line breaks inside the paragraph and paragraphs are delimited by an empty line or by line with indent. A good example is "plain vanilla text" from Project Gutenberg. So you can tell FBReader to reformat the book for you by replacing line breaks with spaces inside paragraphs.
Are you able to get the spaceBefore and spaceAfter to work with chapter headings? That is where I am having trouble.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you able to get the spaceBefore and spaceAfter to work with chapter headings? That is where I am having trouble.
I got spaceAfter working in default paragraph style.
Post your config, perhaps we will spot an error you have missed.

Here is line from my /system/config/styles.xml
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="40" allowHyphenations="true" spaceAfter="4"/>

You can also add alignment="left"
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

cool that you got it working...something I just thought of, if FBReader is ever updated with a firmware update, it might overwrite the changes you made. So maybe keeping a backup is not a bad idea, especially if you dig deep into a custom style.xml file.

I about the suggestion to just copy the styles.xml from another linux machine...one caveat I can think of is how the version on the 360 would handle color settings. Of course no reason you could not just setup your other reading device to look the way you want on the 360, grab the new style.xml and copy it over to the 360. I am just wondering if that would be faster then the trial and error manually editing the file. Still some trial and error would exist but at least it could be quick changes.

As for the Windows version, you know, the other night I thought about that and yup they decided to not stick to the same design as on other platforms.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I am just wondering if that would be faster then the trial and error manually editing the file. Still some trial and error would exist but at least it could be quick changes.
I have made the desired config on the first try.
And I am able to repeat those two little edits any time in a few seconds.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Is there a FAQ listing or tutorial on the settings implemented on the Pocketbook Version of FBReader (and how to ajust them) or is it "an exercise for the student" at this point?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
tselling
Addict

What I would really like to fix is pagebreaks around the chapters. My Astak PocketPro honors pagebreaks so the chapters are nicely separated. The 360 has the chapter headings squished in between the previous and next paragraph. I was thinking putting spaceBefore and spaceAfter the Headings might fix that but doesn't seem to work. Anyone else have any ideas on this?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
What I would really like to fix is pagebreaks around the chapters. My Astak PocketPro honors pagebreaks so the chapters are nicely separated. The 360 has the chapter headings squished in between the previous and next paragraph. I was thinking putting spaceBefore and spaceAfter the Headings might fix that but doesn't seem to work. Anyone else have any ideas on this?
The basic problem is FBReader doesn't do well with CSS. If it used CSS better you wouldn't need to add additional tags.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The basic problem is FBReader doesn't do well with CSS. If it used CSS better you wouldn't need to add additional tags.

Dale
Exactly, Dale! I am sorely missing those pagebreaks before chapters, too! The 10.7 version on my Ubuntu does respect those pagebreaks, however. I think that there's a chance for someone to insert that feature in the PB version, just as SciFiFan tweaked the version to make pics display in html!

As far as I know, there's a switch in the 10.7 Linux version that turns CSS on or off. That would be a nice feature. I think that is the next thing the devs have to do after ironing out the ADE problems! SFF had the 10.7 version already running on his 360, but it was too slow so he just hacked the old version. With a little bit of fine tuning, it should be able to run that version fast enough, right?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote