Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Notes On Lester Dent, Doc Savage, and Life + 50 copyright

For those Doc Savage fans, (yes, I mean you, and you, and you), under life + 50 copyright law, those Doc Savages of Lester Dent go PD in said countries as of Jan 1, 2010, or about 7 weeks from this posting.

However, not all Doc's were written by Dent. So I am providing a list of those Doc's who will not go PD in Life + 50 countries, starting in 2010. It's easier to list those that won't that those that will.

Author and title.

Lester Dent (d. 1959) - The Red Spider (published posthumously in 1979, separate timer.)

Evelyn Coulson (????) - The Yellow Cloud

Ryerson Johnson (d. 1995) - The Land of Always Night
Ryerson Johnson (d. 1995) - The Fantastic Island
Ryerson Johnson (d. 1995) - The Motion Menace

Alan Hathaway - (d. 1977) - The Devil's Playground
Alan Hathaway - (d. 1977) - The Headless Men
Alan Hathaway - (d. 1977) - The Mindless monsters
Alan Hathaway - (d. 1977) - The Rustling Death

William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The World's Fair Goblin
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Hex
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Angry Ghost
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Spotted Men
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Flying Goblin
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Tunnel Terror
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Awful Dynasty
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Bequest of Evil
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Magic Forest
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Fire and Ice
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Death in Little Houses
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Disappearnig Lady
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - Target For Death
William G. Bogart (d.1977) - The Death Lady

The rest wiil be PD in Life + 50 countries as of Jan 1, 2010, as follows.

Lester Dent (d.1959)
Laurence Donovan (d. 1950) - (already available at PG austrailia)
Harold A Davis (d. 1955)

These would compromise 159 stories...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Oh goody! I love Doc Savage!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Oh goody! I love Doc Savage!

Remember, somebody in a life + 50 country must make it available, and it needs to be up loaded by a citizen in a life + 50 country.

If you're a citizen of a life + 70 (or US) it's still not public domain there. (You'd be breaking the law by downloading.)
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Remember, somebody in a life + 50 country must make it available, and it needs to be up loaded by a citizen in a life + 50 country.

If you're a citizen of a life + 70 (or US) it's still not public domain there. (You'd be breaking the law by downloading.)
Is it really a matter of your citizenship, or just where you are at the moment of uploading/downloading?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is it really a matter of your citizenship, or just where you are at the moment of uploading/downloading?
Where you are at the moment of uploading/downloading.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
I hope this isn't a necro post. Given that it's now 2012 and since I have the complete works of Doc Savage in electronic format, I was wondering if uploading them would now be legal?

I'm in Canada, obviously.

Edit: This would exclude the authors mentioned in the OP of course.

Last edited by GeorgeH; 06-11-2012 at 11:09 PM.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
My guess is that the text is public domain, but the introduction, cover and notes (if any) are probably not. Also, the "packaging" could be protected. That means that you shouldn't upload the ebook files directly. But you could copy the text from them, create new ebooks yourself and upload these.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
My guess is that the text is public domain, but the introduction, cover and notes (if any) are probably not. Also, the "packaging" could be protected. That means that you shouldn't upload the ebook files directly. But you could copy the text from them, create new ebooks yourself and upload these.
That sounds reasonable. I'll research it a bit more and hopefully other members here can provide input as well. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Looking forward to it, George!

I've never read a Doc Savage. I guess I would like to try them in chronological order.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Just saw this pop up. The original art status is unknown. I don't know if the artist(s) were identified, or if they got any residuals. They may have been work-for-hire. If so, they would be PD in Canada, but their status is very gray.

I would recommend building your own covers and leaving off the internal illustrations.

GA, if you want a sample, go to Project Gutenberg Australia and look up Laurence Donovan. Not the best Doc Ghost, but not the worst.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
GeorgeH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Just saw this pop up. The original art status is unknown. I don't know if the artist(s) were identified, or if they got any residuals. They may have been work-for-hire. If so, they would be PD in Canada, but their status is very gray.

I would recommend building your own covers and leaving off the internal illustrations.

GA, if you want a sample, go to Project Gutenberg Australia and look up Laurence Donovan. Not the best Doc Ghost, but not the worst.
I'll upload the first book, 'The Man of Bronze' with a cover I designed and no other illustrations. If it falls outside of PD then I'll remove it, of course.

Barring objections and dependent on demand I'll reformat and upload more in the series.

Many thanks for the comments!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So where could someone in a life + 70 country (or the US) get the books legally without any violation of copyright?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
GeorgeH
Addict

The only way I'm aware of is to somehow acquire paper copies. I have't seen anyone offer e-versions for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So where could someone in a life + 70 country (or the US) get the books legally without any violation of copyright?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
The only way I'm aware of is to somehow acquire paper copies. I have't seen anyone offer e-versions for sale.
Correct, no legal e-versions exist. There are a few recent Will Murray completions available on Amazon, look under Will Murray...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Someone is doing licensed reprints (also of The Shadow)

http://www.adventurehouse.com/shoppi.../dept_176.html

Dunno if they are still doing them (additional issues) or if they've stopped
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote