Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Fictionwise Books For Sony

The DRMd books on fictionwise appear to come in 4 formats ...
  • Secure Microsoft Reader Format - I realise many people think this is the best, but I'm on a Mac, without windows, so this format isn't an option as far as I am aware.
  • Secure Adobe Format - I believe they use secure PDF rather than ePUB for this, so probably not a sensible choice, as I don't think it can easily be un-DRMd and converted for the Sony.
  • Secure Mobipocket Format - This is currently my format of choice as I can un-DRM it and convert to ePUB for my PRS-505.
  • Secure eReader Format - Currently an unknown quantity .. I believe I can remove the DRM and convert these to ePUB/LRF, but I have to register my credit card with fictionwise and I'm currently just using paypal and micropay.

Are there any advantages to the eReader format over the Mobipocket format, I can't really find much info about how they compare. I don't really want to buy lots of Mobis only to find it isn't the best option.

Advice please.

Last edited by iain_benson; 04-21-2009 at 08:43 AM.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson View Post
The DRMd books on fictionwise appear to come in 4 formats ...
  • Secure Microsoft Reader Format - I realise many people think this is the best, but I'm on a Mac, without windows, so this format isn't an option as far as I am aware.
  • Correct, you'd have to put Windows on your Mac for Secure Lit's to work.

Quote:
  • Secure Adobe Format - I believe they use secure PDF rather than ePUB for this, so probably not a sensible choice, as I don't think it can easily be un-DRMd and converted for the Sony.
  • Yes, they're PDF's. Also they haven't added any titles in that format since January of '08 so if you're wanting current or upcoming releases it's a no go.

Quote:
  • Secure Mobipocket Format - This is currently my format of choice as I can un-DRM it and convert to ePUB for my PRS-505.
  • This would be the best choice for your situation IMO.

Quote:
  • Secure eReader Format - Currently an unknown quantity .. I believe I can remove the DRM and convert these to ePUB/LRF, but I have to register my credit card with fictionwise and I'm currently just using paypal and micropay.
Quote:
Are there any advantages to the eReader format over the Mobipocket format, I can't really find much info about how they compare. I don't really want to buy lots of Mobis only to find it isn't the best option.

Advice please.
The few free eReader files I've gotten & uninfected have had pretty messed up HTML that has taken some work to 'clean up' when converting to another format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MOBIs are your best bet from FictionWise. An alternative is ePub from Books on Board. With modern MOBIs, there is probably little to choose between the two although images may be compressed and smaller in the MOBI (this is less of an issue that it used to be) and ePub has a richer set of formatting capabilities than MOBI. The eReader version would work well on a small handheld device, but its simple formatting and small images probably make it less suitable for dedicated reading devices.

For a look at all secure ebook formats, see ScreenShots of The Hobbit.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The three formats I recommend is ePUB/LIT/MOBI. In the past calibre did the best job converting LIT to LRF. But now calibre has gotten pretty good on all the formats. the MOBI to LRF has gotten very good.

For a while I was buying LIT but know I've settled on MOBI. It's just seems the support and the flexibility tend to be the better with MOBI files. As for the book content I've not seen real differences between LIT/MOBI/ePUB, though theoretically LIT/ePUB are based on the HTML 4+ standard so they can utilized more sophisticated features.

eReader, I wanted to like this format, but I just can't. If I read exclusively on my BB then maybe I would like it, but I don't I also read on the eBookWise and 505. Converting eReader to the SONY/IMP is a real pain compared to ePUB/LIT/MOBI. This is no real fault of eReader it's just the community support is just not there for that format.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
So, if a book only comes in one of those four formats and you have a prs you have to unDRM it, whatever in the heck that is, to read it?

I just want to download a book and read and do nothing, zip, nada to it. Which is the best choice for that?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I just want to download a book and read and do nothing, zip, nada to it. Which is the best choice for that?
Buy Adobe ePub or PDF (Adobe Digital Editions) from Books on Board. Note that PDF ebooks will have the usual issues with PDFs on the PRS-505 or PRS-700.

FictionWise multi-format ebooks come with a LRF version for the PRS-505, but FictionWise does not really have a "secure" PRS-505 compatible option (they don't have Secure PDFs for recent ebooks).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
So, if a book only comes in one of those four formats and you have a prs you have to unDRM it, whatever in the heck that is, to read it?

Buy from Sony. Or buy epubs from Books on Board or one of the UK retailers that do epub.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
... FictionWise does not really have a "secure" PRS-505 compatible option (they don't have Secure PDFs for recent ebooks).
Okay I see your logic, your just saying FW doen't carry Secure PDF books any more. Yes I've noticed their secure PDF selection has gotten very small.

Where BooksOnBoard seems to have a PDF/ePUB for every book they sell.

>> Original post below.
Are you saying Fictionwise Secure PDF do not work with the SONY? At one point they did, did FW quit working with the SONY PRS-505?

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-23-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: corrected response striked out text
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Secure Microsoft Reader Format - I realise many people think this is the best, but I'm on a Mac, without windows, so this format isn't an option as far as I am aware.
About .lit files, there was a program named Convert Lit (CLIT) somewhere on the net and I used it about a year ago. It was able to deDRM Secure Microsoft Reader books, and convert them (explode them) to HTML.

It needed a special key, taken from a Windows PC (or virtual machine, FWIW) on which Microsoft Reader would be installed and authorized, but after this key had been obtained it could work without Microsoft Reader.

Just my two (euro) cents

Btw, I usually buy my eBooks on Fictionwise because of their great support, extensive catalog and aggressive prices, and I used to download them in eReader format (because of the additional 5%...), and use eReader2html.py to deDRM them and convert them to HTML (and to ePub with the excellent Calibre). I never really had problems with this... Do you think I should switch to Mobi which should, if I understood this thread correctly, have a better formatting ?

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
>> Original post below. (How does one strike through text?)
=X=
On MobileRead.com, to strike through text surround that text with [ strike] and [ /strike] (omitting the space) like How does one strike through text?.

Is this what you were referrinig to above?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
On MobileRead.com, to strike through text surround that text with [ strike] and [ /strike] (omitting the space) like How does one strike through text?.

Is this what you were referrinig to above?
Yes that was what I was asking, thanks.
=X=
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
macgirlmichelle
macgirlmichelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
[*]Secure Mobipocket Format - This is currently my format of choice as I can un-DRM it and convert to ePUB for my PRS-505.
Advice, please??? I'm PRS-505 and Mac as well (newbie). I have Calibre installed. Is there another piece of software I need to un-DRM the file before I use Calibre to convert from MOBI?
macgirlmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirlmichelle View Post
Is there another piece of software I need to un-DRM the file before I use Calibre to convert from MOBI?
Yes. You need the python script mobidedrm.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
macgirlmichelle
macgirlmichelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. You need the python script mobidedrm.
Thanks
macgirlmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote