Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
April 2009 Book Club Nominations

I'm driving the Book Club Bus for the month of April and it's time to open the nominations!

The theme for April is MobileRead Authors. You may nominate any book written by an author who is a member of MobileRead. Yes, you may nominate your own book, if you wish. I request that you list the author's username in your nomination, as well as a brief synopsis of the book. Letting us know where the book may be acquired is also helpful.

You may nominate up to three books. Books that receive three nominations will go on to the voting round. Once a book has received three nominations, I will add it to a list at the end of this post. The nomination thread will close once 10 books have been thrice nominated, or on Sunday, March 22, at 12:00 noon Central Daylight Time, whichever occurs first.

The voting thread will be opened on March 22 and voting will close 1 week after it begins.

Thrice-Nominated Books

Berserker by Steve Jordan https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=4762

THE FIRST VOYAGE—Carolyn Kestral, discharged Galarchy Ranger, begins her new life as a freighter captain and collects a small crew. But there is a question of whether the Berserker virus that forced her Ranger discharge is still capable of being activated and turning her into a deadly human weapon. If it is merely dormant, will it be set off by a clandestine first run and a dangerous run-in with the Spiders in deep space? Will her crew stick around long enough to find out?

Available DRM free for USD$2.50 at http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/novels.htm#berserker

Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey Carver https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=20471

Named one of the best SF novels
of 1994
by SCIENCE FICTION CHRONICLE

Two unlikely heroes...

Survey pilot John Bandicut is ready for the worst when he sets out across the surface of Triton, his head spinning with silence fugue. But no way is he ready for the alien presence that is about to invade his mind, or for the winds of chaos set to blow through his life.

It is humanity's first contact with an alien presence--and Bandicut can tell no one about the disembodied quarx that has taken up residence in his mind. The quarx, part of an eons-old interstellar civilization that uses advanced chaos theory to predict catastrophic events, seeks to prevent a cometary collision that threatens the Earth. But it must have help--and Bandicut must trust the alien, knowing that humanity's very existence may be at stake. He must break all the rules, and sacrifice everything he holds dear, to prevent a cataclysm that would destroy an unsuspecting humanity.

Leaving friends and lover behind, hurtling across the solar system in a stolen spaceship, Bandicut can only hope that his desperate actions will save the Earth--even if he doesn't live to see it again.

Available in the MobileRead library, the Baen Free Library, and at http://starrigger.net

Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I by Tracy Falbe https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=18357

The Rys Chronicles begin with this character-rich adventure that follows the travels of Dreibrand Veta, an ambitious warrior who seeks to rebuild his noble family's fortune. He is the first to join the powerful rys spellcaster Shan, whose race possesses magical powers and whose Queen Onja rules many human kingdoms as their Goddess. The wickedness and tyranny of Onja disgust Shan and he desires to seize the rys throne from her. The third renegade is Miranda. After escaping from her abusive slave master, she becomes a crucial player in Shanâ's bid for power. To weaken Onja, Shan raises rebellion among her human subjects and gathers allies to his cause. Shan demonstrates his magic in battle and convinces his followers that the fearsome rys Queen can be overthrown. For over two thousand years Onja has ruled, but now, not even fear of her ability to enslave souls will stop her ambitious enemies.

Available in the MobileRead library and at Feedbooks

Hal Spacejock by Simon Haynes https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=17427

Hal Spacejock explodes onto the science fiction scene with the subtlety of a meteor strike and the hushed reverence of a used car salesman. A perennial loser, Hal borrowed heavily to fund his intergalactic cargo business. His loyal customers evaporated after several highly publicized mishaps, and mounting bills have confined him to planet Lamira. As the book opens, the finance company is despatching heavies to all points of the compass, desperate to track Hal down and extract money and/or vital organs. Meanwhile, on a nearby planet, a wealthy businessman needs a freelance cargo pilot for a suicidal cargo mission. Ideally, he wants a desperate, debt-ridden loser. Hal Spacejock works on several levelsstraight humor, rousing adventure and social satire, and will appeal to fans of Red Dwarf, HitchHikers Guide and works by Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt and Robert Rankin.

Available in the MobileRead library or at http://www.spacejock.com.au/Hal1Download.html

Tide Mill by Richard Herley https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=14875

The setting is feudal Sussex in the thirteenth century, a landscape and society that have changed almost beyond recognition.

The power of the Church is at its zenith, and the bishop of Alincester is one of the richest men in England. He derives income from the watermills in his diocese: the forces of wind and rain are held to be divine.

Ralf Grigg is the only son of a master carpenter whose business fails when Ralf is small. The family go to live in the seaside village of Mape, where Ralf's mother was born.

Its lord, Baron Gervase de Maepe, is in debt. He hopes to make a strategic match for his elegant young daughter, Eloise - a match of great importance to the pacific faction at court, lessening the danger of war with France. An exorbitant dowry must be found.

Despite his lowly rank, Ralf makes a close friend of the Baron's youngest boy. Ralf regards Eloise as haughty; but her attraction to the good-looking carpenter's son is as strong as it is turbulent, and she must keep her feelings hidden.

At seventeen, still imagining that she despises him, Ralf falls headlong for his best friend's sister. By now she also is seventeen. Her marriage, sanctioned by the King, has been contracted. The wedding will take place in the autumn of the following year.

Learning of the Baron's forlorn wish that he could afford a mill, Ralf's father has the novel idea of a wheel driven not by the wind or rain, but by the tide. Dismissive at first, Gervase changes his mind when he finds that the Church apparently has no call upon such a mill. Here is the answer to his woes. He commissions Master Grigg to build it, and Ralf discovers his vocation: engineering.

The King rules by divine right. His sanction is likewise divine. To violate it is treasonable. The mill forms the focus not only of an intense and dangerous love-affair between Eloise and Ralf, but a legal dispute between baron and bishop which, spiralling out of control, turns into a ruthless power-struggle between Westminster and Rome.

Available at http://www.richardherley.com/TM.html

The Penal Colony by Richard Herley https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=14875

It is 1997. The British government now runs island prison colonies to take dangerous offenders from its overcrowded mainland jails.
Among all these colonies, Sert, 25 miles off the north Cornish coast, has the worst reputation. There are no warders. Satellite technology is used to keep the convicts under watch. New arrivals are dumped by helicopter and must learn to survive as best they can.
To Sert, one afternoon in July, is brought Anthony John Routledge, sentenced for a sex-murder he did not commit.
Routledge knows he is here for ever. And he knows he must quickly forget the rules of civilized life.
But not all the islanders are savages. Under the charismatic leadership of one man a community has evolved. A community with harsh and unyielding rules, peopled by resourceful men for whom the hopeless dream of escape may not be so hopeless after all ...

Available at http://www.richardherley.com/PC.html

The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=21734
1997 Nebula Award winner

Set in Versailles, France, in 1693, The Moon and the Sun tells the story of a Marie-Josephe, a lady-in-waiting to the niece of Louis XIV -- the Sun King. Marie-Josephe's brother, Father Yves de la Croix, is a Jesuit and also the King's natural philosopher and explorer. He has brought the King a living sea woman and a dead male, both captured on an ocean voyage. So begins a rich tale of conscience, politics, science, history, and love.

Available at http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/index-fiction.html

Twice-Nominated Books (need 1 more nomination to go to voting round)

Catherine M. Wilson's When Women Were Warriors: Book 1 The Warrior's Path.

She is offering the first book free in PRC and PDF in a thread here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=warriors
...the book can be downloaded here...
http://www.catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook.html

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-21-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: moved Sun/Moon up to thrice nominated section
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I nominate:

Berserker by Steven Jordan

THE FIRST VOYAGE—Carolyn Kestral, discharged Galarchy Ranger, begins her new life as a freighter captain and collects a small crew. But there is a question of whether the Berserker virus that forced her Ranger discharge is still capable of being activated and turning her into a deadly human weapon. If it is merely dormant, will it be set off by a clandestine first run and a dangerous run-in with the Spiders in deep space? Will her crew stick around long enough to find out?

Available DRM free for $2.50 at http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/novels.htm#berserker
Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey Carver. As soon as I remember his forum name, I'll edit this post.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey Carver. As soon as I remember his forum name, I'll edit this post.
It's starrigger I think. You should add an abstract to your nominations.

BOb
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's starrigger I think. You should add an abstract to your nominations.

BOb

I'll second Neptune Crossing and here's the info...

Quote:
Volume One: NEPTUNE CROSSING

Named one of the best SF novels
of 1994
by SCIENCE FICTION CHRONICLE

Two unlikely heroes...

Survey pilot John Bandicut is ready for the worst when he sets out across the surface of Triton, his head spinning with silence fugue. But no way is he ready for the alien presence that is about to invade his mind, or for the winds of chaos set to blow through his life.

It is humanity's first contact with an alien presence--and Bandicut can tell no one about the disembodied quarx that has taken up residence in his mind. The quarx, part of an eons-old interstellar civilization that uses advanced chaos theory to predict catastrophic events, seeks to prevent a cometary collision that threatens the Earth. But it must have help--and Bandicut must trust the alien, knowing that humanity's very existence may be at stake. He must break all the rules, and sacrifice everything he holds dear, to prevent a cataclysm that would destroy an unsuspecting humanity.

Leaving friends and lover behind, hurtling across the solar system in a stolen spaceship, Bandicut can only hope that his desperate actions will save the Earth--even if he doesn't live to see it again.

It's available free here on Mobile Read, at the Baen Free Library or on the authors website starrigger.net

Can I also second Berserker? I just read that last weekend and wouldn't mind discussing it.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I'm driving the Book Club Bus for the month of April ...
Are we there yet ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I nominate:

Berserker by Steven Jordan
I will third this nom.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

It's available free here on Mobile Read, at the Baen Free Library or on the authors website starrigger.net

Can I also second Berserker? I just read that last weekend and wouldn't mind discussing it.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I would have said, were I not so lazy...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
pshrynk

I was going to nominate Rob Sawyers' Rollback, but it's only available in Amazon, so no go there.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Hal Spacejock series by Spacejock (Simon Haynes) is great fun, except I already read it. Bought the next 3 books in the series last week. Book #1 is in our uploads section for free.

I nominate it, even though I've already read it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Are we there yet ???

I will third this nom.
Oooh noms *heads to kitchen, checks* Yups - veggie toad in the hole for dinner tonight

As for nominations, I know we've just read a Richard Herley, but his Tide Mill looks interesting:

Summary (from the link):
Quote:
The setting is feudal Sussex in the thirteenth century, a landscape and society that have changed almost beyond recognition.

The power of the Church is at its zenith, and the bishop of Alincester is one of the richest men in England. He derives income from the watermills in his diocese: the forces of wind and rain are held to be divine.

Ralf Grigg is the only son of a master carpenter whose business fails when Ralf is small. The family go to live in the seaside village of Mape, where Ralf's mother was born.

Its lord, Baron Gervase de Maepe, is in debt. He hopes to make a strategic match for his elegant young daughter, Eloise - a match of great importance to the pacific faction at court, lessening the danger of war with France. An exorbitant dowry must be found.

Despite his lowly rank, Ralf makes a close friend of the Baron's youngest boy. Ralf regards Eloise as haughty; but her attraction to the good-looking carpenter's son is as strong as it is turbulent, and she must keep her feelings hidden.

At seventeen, still imagining that she despises him, Ralf falls headlong for his best friend's sister. By now she also is seventeen. Her marriage, sanctioned by the King, has been contracted. The wedding will take place in the autumn of the following year.

Learning of the Baron's forlorn wish that he could afford a mill, Ralf's father has the novel idea of a wheel driven not by the wind or rain, but by the tide. Dismissive at first, Gervase changes his mind when he finds that the Church apparently has no call upon such a mill. Here is the answer to his woes. He commissions Master Grigg to build it, and Ralf discovers his vocation: engineering.

The King rules by divine right. His sanction is likewise divine. To violate it is treasonable. The mill forms the focus not only of an intense and dangerous love-affair between Eloise and Ralf, but a legal dispute between baron and bishop which, spiralling out of control, turns into a ruthless power-struggle between Westminster and Rome.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I'll third Neptune Crossing.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The Hal Spacejock series by Spacejock (Simon Haynes) is great fun, except I already read it. Bought the next 3 books in the series last week. Book #1 is in our uploads section for free.

I nominate it, even though I've already read it.
I'll second Hal Spacejock.

Quote:
Hal Spacejock explodes onto the science fiction scene with the subtlety of a meteor strike and the hushed reverence of a used car salesman. A perennial loser, Hal borrowed heavily to fund his intergalactic cargo business. His loyal customers evaporated after several highly publicized mishaps, and mounting bills have confined him to planet Lamira. As the book opens, the finance company is despatching heavies to all points of the compass, desperate to track Hal down and extract money and/or vital organs. Meanwhile, on a nearby planet, a wealthy businessman needs a freelance cargo pilot for a suicidal cargo mission. Ideally, he wants a desperate, debt-ridden loser. Hal Spacejock works on several levelsstraight humor, rousing adventure and social satire, and will appeal to fans of Red Dwarf, HitchHikers Guide and works by Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt and Robert Rankin.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd like to nominate Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I by Tracy Falbe (Falbe Publishing).

Quote:
The Rys Chronicles begin with this character-rich adventure that follows the travels of Dreibrand Veta, an ambitious warrior who seeks to rebuild his noble family's fortune. He is the first to join the powerful rys spellcaster Shan, whose race possesses magical powers and whose Queen Onja rules many human kingdoms as their Goddess. The wickedness and tyranny of Onja disgust Shan and he desires to seize the rys throne from her. The third renegade is Miranda. After escaping from her abusive slave master, she becomes a crucial player in Shanâ's bid for power. To weaken Onja, Shan raises rebellion among her human subjects and gathers allies to his cause. Shan demonstrates his magic in battle and convinces his followers that the fearsome rys Queen can be overthrown. For over two thousand years Onja has ruled, but now, not even fear of her ability to enslave souls will stop her ambitious enemies.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to nominate Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I by Tracy Falbe (Falbe Publishing).
Is it really interesting? OK, I'll second this one, since it is completely unknown to me. This is a nice way to try new authors.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've had Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I for a while. Just never got around to reading it. This will get me to finally read it if it gets voted for April.
Closed Thread

Tags
mrbc