Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
jsbt
jsbt began at the beginning.

Device: None
Calibre for printed books

hello,

I am using Calibre only for a couple of weeks but fell in love with it and its interface, thank you for the great product. Is there any way Calibre could be adapted to add printed books instead of only e-books and articles? Basically this feature would involve having a field where we could type the book ISBN and Calibre would show automatically the rest of the information of the book, to which we could add our customised info and book front cover picture (jpg) if we wish. There could be an option to add older books that had not any ISBN. I would like to centralize all my books into only one software. Any advice is welcome!
jsbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Well, adding an empty book (see the dropdown option on the Add button) then putting in the correct metadata would suffice, I think.

I was myself considering much the same thing, actually.

EDIT: Thinking a little more about it, I suppose it could be possible to make an plugin that would allow the creation of a new, empty book from either a typed or a scanned ISBN, then automatically fetching the metadata...

Last edited by aleyx; 01-17-2014 at 05:59 AM.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I think the "Add from ISBN" menu item is what you're looking for. It's on the drop-down next to the "Add books" button.

For books without an ISBN use "Add empty book" and add the metadata manually. Or once you've added the author and title you should be able to download it - I've done this for the handful of non ebooks in my calibre library.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved thread out of the Development forum. Please review the sticky posts at the top of each forum for solutions or guidance before posting. This sticky post - titled:PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum - at the top of the Development forum explains when it is permissable to post in the Development forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Well, adding an empty book (see the dropdown option on the Add button) then putting in the correct metadata would suffice, I think.

I was myself considering much the same thing, actually.

EDIT: Thinking a little more about it, I suppose it could be possible to make an plugin that would allow the creation of a new, empty book from either a typed or a scanned ISBN, then automatically fetching the metadata...
Besides: Add from ISBN (which also tries to fetch Metadata and covers during import)

I did 900+ books, many did not have Barcodes, let alone ISBNS (too old)

Small batches (~20)
Fix the unknowns, It is easier to find which failed or needs help

then do another batch

ALTERNATE:
Import List PI Read the description https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187831 something there might FIT!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
o_O My eyes kept glancing over Add from ISBN. It never really registered with me 'till now...
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
jsbt
jsbt began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you

Well, the features were there in Calibre all the time! :-) Many thanks.
jsbt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, isbn, isbn-13, printed books