Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Help with purchase decision please...

I want to get a audio reader for my wife, as she will be having an operation which will leave her without vision for a few days (no, its not a face lift)… also she will be in a bed for a few days longer, and I thought that the new Kindle HDX 7” would be nice for her.

I bought one of the first Kindles (which I still have) complete with heavy case and pull out light. The battery doesn’t last now, and sad to say it gets no use. Might treat my’self to a new model later on... I digress

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is, what accessories will I need, and what do I avoid.
Im thinking portable speakers so that she wont have to have ear buds in for long periods… which ones are the best option?
Also which is a good choice of case (I read that some are not so great!)

Lastly, any other accessories which might be a good idea. I would like to order all together, as we live in NZ and shipping is a high cost from the US.

Thanks all.
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The Kindle Fire HDX 2013 would be a good choice. It has Text to Speech on most eBooks with a choice of male / female voices either British or American.

Get the case Amazon sells for it. It protects the unit and can be used as a stand.

It can run Audiobooks as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Kindle Fire HDX 2013 would be a good choice. It has Text to Speech on most eBooks with a choice of male / female voices either British or American.

Get the case Amazon sells for it. It protects the unit and can be used as a stand.

It can run Audiobooks as well.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply Sirmaru.

I looked on Amazon, but dont see the ref to the 2013 model specifically... where do I look please... also there seems to be three choices of case on the Amazon page...

Last edited by Saxguy; 10-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The HDX is the 2013 edition. The 2012 was just the HD. (There is also an HD 2013 edition which is cheaper than the HDX...confused yet?).

The "origami" case is the new Amazon case for the HDX.

I don't think you can purchase the 2012 editions anymore so you should be fine.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The HDX is the 2013 edition. The 2012 was just the HD. (There is also an HD 2013 edition which is cheaper than the HDX...confused yet?).

The "origami" case is the new Amazon case for the HDX.

I don't think you can purchase the 2012 editions anymore so you should be fine.
Got it (I think)... thank you
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick reply Sirmaru.

I looked on Amazon, but dont see the ref to the 2013 model specifically... where do I look please... also there seems to be three choices of case on the Amazon page...
There is only one HDX and it's only has a female voice that I noticed on text to speech. I would recommend Audible if it's in your country. Audiobooks would work well for your wife while she is recovering.

The HDX plays Audible well but any Android device will also play them through the Audible app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Male voice can be downloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is only one HDX and it's only has a female voice that I noticed on text to speech. I would recommend Audible if it's in your country. Audiobooks would work well for your wife while she is recovering.

The HDX plays Audible well but any Android device will also play them through the Audible app.
You have a choice of male / female US voices and the same for British voices. It comes with the female US voice but the other can be downloaded.

I would recommend the male voice since it pauses at the end of sentences and paragraphs. The female voice runs without pauses.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have a choice of male / female US voices and the same for British voices. It comes with the female US voice but the other can be downloaded.

I would recommend the male voice since it pauses at the end of sentences and paragraphs. The female voice runs without pauses.
Where do you download them from?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
... The female voice runs without pauses.

That has to be so true...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

Location of TTS Voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Where do you download them from?
Go to Settings / Device / Text-to-Speech.

There you have two options:

1. Default Voice
2. Download Additional Voices

I have 2 now under Default Voice: Joey (United States); Salli (United States). I use Joey because it recognizes pauses at the end of sentences while Sallie does not.

Under Option 2 there are the following:

1. English (Australia) - Nicole
2. English (Australia) - Russell
3. English (United Kingdom) - Amy
4. English (United Kingdom) - Brian

Plus, it has the 2 US voices as stated above, 2 French voices for Canada, 2 French voices for France, 2 German voices for Germany, 2 Italian voices, 2 Portuguese voices, 2 Russian voices, and 2 Spanish voices.

Since the OP appears to be from New Zealand, the two Aussie voices would be best for him and he should test both to see which is better.

I'm surprised they do not have a Mandarin Chinese voice or a Japanese voice since they do sell dictionaries and eBooks in those languages. Maybe the Asian versions of the HDX just recently released has those features.

What is missing is a sleep timer so one can go to sleep listening to an eBook. I called that problem into Mayday and they said they would try and get one into the November major firmware upgrade.

I believe the Audio Book implementation has a sleep timer.

This is only available on the HDX 2013. My HD 2012 has a Text to Speech Option but does not have this choice of voices under the Device menu.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Saxguy
Connoisseur

...no, I'm British and proud of it, but I have made NZ my home now. :-)

And seriously, I thought you were joking about the female voice not pausing... but you must see the funny side
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Just like real life
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That has to be so true...
Quote:
And seriously, I thought you were joking about the female voice not pausing... but you must see the funny side
I most definitely did. Glad you found it just as amusing as I did.

PS: I do believe our days are numbered once female members start reading this thread
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I want to get a audio reader for my wife,...
Have you considered using an MP3 player? Many of them will play the formats most commonly used for audiobooks - MP3, WMA, Audible.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I most definitely did. Glad you found it just as amusing as I did.

PS: I do believe our days are numbered once female members start reading this thread
What am I chop liver?!?