Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I shudder when I look at windows 8 on a PC or laptop. It's not something I'd pick up in a tablet either. I am a longer term Apple user and the Nook HD is my first experience of Android, I doubt I'll ever be ready to try a third operating system, so if Nook went down the windows 8 route and abandoned Android then this Nook wil be my only one.
The Nook is a heavily modified version of Android. I don't think it can be called an Android experience. I know our Color isn't.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Hm. Well, this is disappointing, but at least they're going to keep going with integrated ereaders. I think they could have made this work if they'd had lower expectations and focused on their fanbase, but oh well.

I already have an HD+ and an HD, and I expect those to last me a while. Probably the time to stock up on the charger cables if I can spot any deals.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
I've been wondering about the future of their e-ink devices. I guess this is good news, considering things have been looking very bleak. I bought my Simpe Touch this year, thinking that there will be a UK upgrade next year. Hopefully this pans out, but B&N really need to get their act together.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
So, I've been slowly but surely re-downloading ePubs all of my ported Fictionwise titles from my B&N account. Every 10-15 titles or so, the website either shows me a pile of html gibberish, or quits working while giving me an error message (a rather cheery OOPS!). I have to re-sign into my B&N account. Sometimes it will let me. Sometimes I have to give up and try again later. It's just kinda sad.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Do you reckon they'll send out an email to let us existing customers know what will be happening to our current magazine subscriptions (if anything)? I think that would be too much to ask...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
A sad situation, but not surprising. One of the worst run companies. No vision. I get an image of management using Windows Millennium edition and wondering if this internet thing is anything more than a fad.
Hahaha!! Thanks for the chuckle, Morrisss003!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Nook Color Tablet second Christmas season, Amazon color tablet got most of the attention and sales. It was obvious to me that Nook Color Tablets end was inevitable. I'm only surprised it wasn't sooner.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Definitely saw this coming, but it is sad to see less competition out there. I was a big Nook supporter in the beginning, but their customer service drove me away. I still have my original nook eink device though and will keep using it. For android tablets though once I used a Nexus 7 it was hard to consider anything from B&N or Amazon.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The Nook is a heavily modified version of Android. I don't think it can be called an Android experience. I know our Color isn't.
Not so much anymore! They have recently added Google Play, and Chrome browser. It is now a simple matter to add any of the 3/4 million apps available from Google, including several very capable alternative launchers as well as any of the available ebook readers. If I’m not mistaken it’s even preloaded with Kindle for Android.

And the best part, they have a fire sale going on right now, making the HD and HD+ the most bang for the buck available anywhere. I ordered a 32 GB HD+ on Sunday, to be used primarily as a reader in the Kindle ecosystem.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Wyrmbyte
Wyrmbyte began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Amazon Fire HD 8, HD 10, Samsung Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Not so much anymore! They have recently added Google Play, and Chrome browser. It is now a simple matter to add any of the 3/4 million apps available from Google, including several very capable alternative launchers as well as any of the available ebook readers. If I’m not mistaken it’s even preloaded with Kindle for Android.

And the best part, they have a fire sale going on right now, making the HD and HD+ the most bang for the buck available anywhere. I ordered a 32 GB HD+ on Sunday, to be used primarily as a reader in the Kindle ecosystem.
Ditto. Just ordered, today, the 16GB HD+. Couldn't beat that deal.
Wyrmbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmbyte View Post
Ditto. Just ordered, today, the 16GB HD+. Couldn't beat that deal.
I've had my finger on the "buy" button several times since the price reduction last week, but so far I've been able to resist temptation. Enjoy your new tablet!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That article is crap. It's doesn't even have any worthwhile facts in it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I have no idea what an 'Android' Experience is as my only other tablets and phones have been Apple, but my Nook now looks like this so using a launcher I have removed most of the reference to the Nook infrastructure, at least on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	107349  
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have no idea what an 'Android' Experience is as my only other tablets and phones have been Apple, but my Nook now looks like this so using a launcher I have removed most of the reference to the Nook infrastructure, at least on the surface.
Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but you can create and name folders to organize your apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Glad I picked up the Nook HD and HD+ during the recent sales, then. The HD is much more convenient for me to carry around and use for web surfing than my cell phone is (that screen is just too small for comfort). I downloaded and installed the N2A CM 10 software and put it on the HD+ and now that's a great full-featured Android tablet.

Too bad the company's leadership couldn't come up with a better way to market them. Very stupid of them not to have opened up to Google Play sooner and stressed that the Kindle app on the Nook breaks Amazon's "chains" and gives book book readers more options. Sometimes acknowledging the other guy in the room can be turned to one's advantage if the folks in charge aren't short-sighted and know how to play it.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-26-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote