Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
thefotochef
thefotochef began at the beginning.

Device: nine
Is there a nook that can read Blood sugar

I have a friend who wants to buy a nook because she thinks, she will be able to use as a blood glucose meter. I told her that I did not think that this was an available option on any home computer or e reader. Please let me know if I'm mistaken so I can let her know. TY Noel
thefotochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
NOOO But I love one that reads HBP for all those scary books! LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefotochef View Post
I have a friend who wants to buy a nook because she thinks, she will be able to use as a blood glucose meter. I told her that I did not think that this was an available option on any home computer or e reader. Please let me know if I'm mistaken so I can let her know. TY Noel
She wants to use an ereader as a blood glucose meter??? WTH?? Or do you possibly mean use it to upload the results of her meter to to show a doctor? In either case, no. You can't do that. I know One Touch makes a device that you can download the results of your glucose readings to your computer to and that may be what she's talking about.

I don't know what file type the information is but if it's a TXT or PDF she may then be able to put that file on the reader to bring to a doctor. Depending on the type of phone she has, assuming it's a smart phone, she could just use that too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are android apps that interface with Blood glucose meters through bluetooth.
And since Nooks run android she may want to know which Nook might be compatible with one or any of those apps.
Not impossible:
http://www.appszoom.com/android_appl...+glucose+meter
http://www.google.com/search?q=andro...rlz=1I7ACAW_en

But somewhat misinformed since you have to hack the Nooks to get them to run arbitrary android apps. Then again, maybe she can get it working with one of the N2A cards...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
lashley
lashley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best meter have iPhone
lashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You really need to give us more info. You do realize that a Nook is a device that reads books?
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
You really need to give us more info. You do realize that a Nook is a device that reads books?
More info would be good but Nooks are really android-based computers. With unacknowledged Bluetooth in many of them.
That is where the hacking comes in. They can do and are used for a lot of things other than just reading books.

Kindles, too:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ather-station/
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They can do and are used for a lot of things other than just reading books.
Perhaps but reading blood glucose. No.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Perhaps but reading blood glucose. No.
You absolutely certain that none of the android blood sugar monitoring apps won't work on any of the Nooks? Even the color ones?

The OP could use an actual reference verifying that, if you have it handy.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
More info would be good but Nooks are really android-based computers. With unacknowledged Bluetooth in many of them.
That is where the hacking comes in. They can do and are used for a lot of things other than just reading books.

Kindles, too:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ather-station/
Yes, of course, but you have to make recommendations based on people's abilities. Judging from the OP, I didn't think the concerned person was particularly tech savvy.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
Yes, of course, but you have to make recommendations based on people's abilities. Judging from the OP, I didn't think the concerned person was particularly tech savvy.
The N2A cards don't require any ability beyond paying for the card and inserting it.

Here's a review of the latest release:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ook-hd-review/

Doesn't mean I would go that way myself but the option is real.
Different strokes for different folks and all that...

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefotochef View Post
No tablet will take your blood glucose level. But there are apps for keeping track.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
You absolutely certain that none of the android blood sugar monitoring apps won't work on any of the Nooks? Even the color ones?

The OP could use an actual reference verifying that, if you have it handy.

No I don't have a reference. I have common sense & I have used a blood glucose meter. There's nowhere on any reader in existence to stick the glucose test strip into for it to be able to read the strip.

I'm sorry & I don't mean to be nasty but that's got to be one of the stupidest questions I've ever heard. Do I have a reference? LOL I don't need one! Clearly you've never seen or used a glucose meter.

Here, watch a demo on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-tIAib_sg

There is a port on several meters to upload/download the results to a computer which I already said in an earlier post but to do an acutal blood glucose reading on a digital reader, is not possible.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
There is a port on several meters to upload/download the results to a computer which I already said in an earlier post but to do an acutal blood glucose reading on a digital reader, is not possible.
And some glucose readers use Bluetooth and iphone/android apps to do the same thing in real time.
Check the google search I posted.
The idea is not as crazy as it sounds; not for 2013, anyway.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Being able to send data from the glucose reader to another device such as an ereader is not in any way, shape or form the same thing as a digital reader measuring glucose from a drop of blood. The OP asked if the Nook can be used as a glucose meter not if data from a glucose meter can be sent to another device. Those are two very different and distinct things!