Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Alison C
Enthusiast
Alison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite wifi
Paperwhite in, Kindle 3 out?

Hello! It's been a while since I was here, but the advice when I was buying my first Kindle was so helpful that I hope I can ask for expert views again, please.

I love my Kindle 3 (with keyboard), but the announcement that Paperwhite is launching in the UK next month means my Amazon One-Click finger is twitching. I've read about the problems that some people here have experienced with blotchy screens etc, but have also seen some very positive reviews. On balance I think the improvements (built-in light, clearer display/contrast, smaller size, no keyboard) mean I can justify the purchase to myself - but I'm open to any points I haven't thought of!

One question I would welcome help with is whether it's easy to sell or give away my current Kindle. How does that work? - would a new owner register it to their Amazon account, or do I have to do anything? Can I transfer it with all the books on it (mainly Amazon-purchased content, some books from here)? Sorry to be a numpty. I'm in the UK, if that affects any advice. Thanks in advance.
Alison C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Hi Alison,

I love my Paperwhite...but yes, some have had issues with the screen. I think they are in the minority but what do i know

As for your old one, I've sold a bunch of them. There is an option under the settings to "restore to factory defaults" and once you de-register it from you Amazon account, then all your Amazon purchased books would be removed anyway.

I usually de-register the Kindle, then restore to factory defaults. This wipes the Kindle and takes it all the way back to the welcome screen.

Even if you don't restore it, definitely de-register it. Otherwise, the one that gets it could be one-click buying books for you!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Alison C
Enthusiast
Alison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toys

That's really helpful, Marcus, thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Alison C
Enthusiast

Am I right in thinking that I would have 30 days to return the Paperwhite if it turns up and I decide I prefer the K3? I can't find that on the Amazon Kindle support pages.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Alison C
Enthusiast

Oops, I've just found it. Sorry!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I too been thinking about the paperwhite Mainly for the built in light feature. But also holding out till the Bugs are worked out LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Alison C
Enthusiast

Katie, I've just yielded and pressed the Order button! After all, given that I can always return it and keep my trusty K3, what's not to like? It won't reach my sticky paws until the end of November, though; on the bright side, I've convinced myself all the bugs will have been ironed out by then!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
LOL You also might get lucky and get 1 without bugs!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Sorry for the OT, but didn't find an appropriate topic:

On Search - > Dictionary, is it possible to select in which dictionary you want to search (including the ones you loaded into the device)?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
Sorry for the OT, but didn't find an appropriate topic:

On Search - > Dictionary, is it possible to select in which dictionary you want to search (including the ones you loaded into the device)?
If you're referring to the Paperwhite (or Kindle Touch), it is going to use the default dictionary for the UI language for any dictionary search initiated from the menu bar.

But if you select a word in a book you are reading, it will attempt to find a dictionary corresponding to the language set in the book metadata (not sure it pays attention to lang attribute applied to the HTML tag containing the text, have been meaning to try that). If you have more than one dictionary available for a given language, it will check at least two of them before it gives up searching (I think it will check any/all such dictionaries but would need to verify that). Where there are more than one per language, you get to designate one as 'default'.

And of course if you open a dictionary (directly or via 'show full definition') you can search it for any word in there from the search bar (using 'index items' search).

Last edited by tomsem; 10-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I finally got my Kindle PW through a US friend (had ordered it some time ago, and it shipped exactly a day before it was announced in Europe), and I was really prepared to love this one.

However, the screened turned out to be not as sharp (washed out when using the light) as either my Kindle Keyboard or my Kindle Fire (that I was prepared to put to ebay), so I ended up sending it back and keeping the other 2.

Best regards,
Andy

P.S. also, I really did not care for the advertisements ... I did NOT get the cheaper "special offers" version, however when looking at the book list in cover view, it would display other "best-selling" books at the lower half of the screen.

Last edited by Andy_T; 10-25-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have a Kindle Keyboard 3G that I'm very happy with, but the Paperwhite does look intriguing. If my KK quits working, I may consider buying one. I'm torn, though, because I do use text-to-speech occasionally and prefer the physical page-turn buttons—two features the Paperwhite doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
P.S. also, I really did not care for the advertisements ... I did NOT get the cheaper "special offers" version, however when looking at the book list in cover view, it would display other "best-selling" books at the lower half of the screen.
You can turn off the book recommendations that appear on the lower half of the home screen by turning on Parental Controls. You will still see your own book covers, but not the book recommendations. With Parental Controls on, you can't shop in the Kindle Store from the device, but you can still download any books you send to it.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
As with any mass produced item slip ups happen and as well any time a company puts out a new model there are bound to be a few bugs that escape notice until they get out to the customer. Frequently I will wait out the first model year when a new model comes out so that the maker can get the bugs worked out.

Let me illustrate what I mean by first model. The original kindle was the first model for the kindle, every kindle keyboard after that are updated models so the kindle three aka kindle keyboard is not a first model. The Kindle touch in the fourth generation line up was a first model. The kindle paperwhite is not a first model touch, however it is a first generation paperwhite. My kindle three is a third generation kindle so most of the bugs were bound to be worked out, I typically like to recommend that customers wait to next years models to buy a paperwhite, let amazon get the bugs out.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Indeed. I might buy a Paperwhite once it is better than my Kindle Keyboard.
Right now, it made me appreciate how good my kindle fire is for nighttime reading.

Regards, Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Alison C
Enthusiast

Update: I bought the Paperwhite, and I absolutely love it. When the light is on its brightest setting, I do have a couple of small greyish smudges at the bottom of the screen, but they don't impinge on the text area and when I'm reading I don't even notice them now. I loved my Kindle Keyboard, but this is even better. Thanks for all the advice.