Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
transferring library to different computer

Hi folks,
I just transferred Calibre to a different computer. Both are running Windows 7. The folder is there when I look at my hard drive but when I open the program on the new computer using the shortcut there are no books there.
Please help thank you in advance.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
Hi folks,
I just transferred Calibre to a different computer. Both are running Windows 7. The folder is there when I look at my hard drive but when I open the program on the new computer using the shortcut there are no books there.
Please help thank you in advance.
If you did it correctly (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...86&postcount=2), then there should be a file named Metadata.db. That is what you really see in Calibre

You may eed to just Switch to the New Library (location).
Right click the Library Icon,: Switch/Create... : (You will be using:'Use Existing...') Enter/Navigate to the Library folder: click OK

That should do it (and it will be saved as the current Library)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
tponzo
Addict

Thanks I will try that.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
tponzo
Addict

After much delay I tried the above and got the following error message:

calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: Failed to move library: Failed to move library

Move library from C:\Users\user\Documents\Calibre Library to C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\New Calibre Library
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Calibre2\\New Calibre Library\\John Schember' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 186, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\library\move.py", line 21, in move_library
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 3485, in move_library_to
File "shutil.py", line 175, in copytree
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Calibre2\\New Calibre Library\\John Schember'
Thanks in advance for any reply
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

calibre, version 0.8.69

Move library from C:\Users\user\Documents\Calibre Library to C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\New Calibre Library
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Calibre2\\New Calibre Library\\John Schember' (Error Code: 1)
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 3485, in move_library_to
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Calibre2\\New Calibre Library\\John Schember'
John is the author of the Calibre Quick Start Guide (among other things ).
This may be one of the times to go under the Skirts: Is the folder/File write protected?
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:

calibre, version 0.8.69

WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Program UFiles (x86)\\Calibre2\\New Calibre Library\\John Schember'
I would expect there to be problems with putting a Calibre library under C:\Program Files (x86) as by default this location is protected by Windows from write access by users. I would strongly suggest an alternative location is chosen to which an ordinary user has full access rights. That location is technically possible, but it requires you to manually set up the correct access permissions at the Windows level.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I did not catch that.

A Library is not a Program.
It needs Read/write (Create) privileges

IMHO It does not belong in the (now secured) Windows Program files area.

IMHO It also does not really belong in a (the Network) shared folder where more than one instance of Calibre might ever happen.