Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #46
danrodney
All Around Nice Guy
danrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, Nook 1st Gen, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretperry View Post
Do you mind if I adapt it to make a script that fixes "stuck" unused colors in InDesign (you save as .idml, edit the graphics file and re-open)?
Just out of curiosity, what will you do to the script? For stuck colors I simply export a .idml and re-open it. Then I can delete the stuck colors in InDesign. I'm not sure why a script would be needed.

But feel free to edit the script. There's already a credit comment at the top. Just add a new comment saying you made xxx edits.
danrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #47
Bretperry
Bretperry began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle Fire
Deleting stuck InDesign colors with epub zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrodney View Post
Just out of curiosity, what will you do to the script? For stuck colors I simply export a .idml and re-open it. Then I can delete the stuck colors in InDesign. I'm not sure why a script would be needed.

But feel free to edit the script. There's already a credit comment at the top. Just add a new comment saying you made xxx edits.
Thanks! Just exporting/opening idml doesn't always work, only about 1/2 the time for us. Making a frame with bad color fill, exporting page as PDF, importing that pdf, then deleting it works more often but not always.

Now with ePub unzip/zip I can change the "removable false" attribute of the color in the graphics xml file to "true", rezip and that works so far every time.

My script will be for my 40 users workgroup and other designers and art directors who are not comfortable editing and stuffing epubs and xml (what's all this scary code??)

We use spot colors extensively in InDesign bad swatches get replicated as docs are copied and re-purposed constantly. So now we have hundreds of current docs with stuck unused color swatches -- and soon an easy way to fix them without asking me to edit xml.

The user will find a bad color, run script choosing color in pop-up, go get a latte and return with a milk mustache to find the color long gone in the "same" doc and the working files cleaned.

I'll also make it find the unused but locked colors itself and fix batches. I don't see a swatch's "locked" info in ID's Applescript properties, but it can be found in the unzipped idml files, cool.

Last edited by Bretperry; 01-13-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Bretperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #48
barncat
barncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Oh, woe is me. All I have done on this forum is whine. I downloaded the app. I dragged my epub to it. Nothing happened. I tried dclicking the app icon, got the dialgue, navigated to the epub. Nothing. This dang epub validates without a wince. I, myself, do not seem to validate at all.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barncat View Post
Oh, woe is me. All I have done on this forum is whine. I downloaded the app. I dragged my epub to it. Nothing happened. I tried dclicking the app icon, got the dialgue, navigated to the epub. Nothing. This dang epub validates without a wince. I, myself, do not seem to validate at all.
This AppleScript takes a folder and converts it to an ePub. It does nothing to an already zipped ePub.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #50
barncat
barncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hmm. I see. I had just finished a course with Anne-Marie in which she sent me to download quite a good script that unzipped and zipped epubs, downloadable from someone on Mobile Read. This is the only one I could find. I should have read more closely. I do love your portrait, by the way.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barncat View Post
Hmm. I see. I had just finished a course with Anne-Marie in which she sent me to download quite a good script that unzipped and zipped epubs, downloadable from someone on Mobile Read. This is the only one I could find. I should have read more closely. I do love your portrait, by the way.
Oh, I see what's happened. Someone else has done such a script and posted it in this thread here.

I haven't bothered to try it out, as I'm currently happy with my separate zip/unzip applescripts.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #52
amarie0
Enthusiast
amarie0 doesn't litteramarie0 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle
Hmm. I don't know of a script that does both the zipping and unzipping. I think the poseter may have misunderstood. This was the thread I sent people to (and still do during training and workshops). Paul, that post is in the first couple pages of this thread, I believe, and is (your) two separate scripts in one .zip file. Do you have a site where users could make donations to your cause? Seriously, I'd love to send them there.
amarie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #53
amarie0
Enthusiast
amarie0 doesn't litteramarie0 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle
(By the way, this is Anne-Marie, author of the Lynda.com videos who keeps sending people here LOL).
amarie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
beginner

sir
i went through the thread you had suggested me,but its too far for a beginner i would like to explain the entire process i went through to create epub
as the first step i had created a folder on the desktop as maepub(is my epub)
then i had added mimetype file and modified it as per the tutorial
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../section3.html
(is that required that the content of mimetype should not exceed 20 bytes,i got it from a tutorial)
then i added 2 folders named it as META-INf and OEBPS
then added container.xml and modified as per the tutorial
then in OEBPS added content.html,content.opf,stylesheet.css,tittle.htm l,toc.ncx and an images folder with an image cover.png
after that i had compressd my maepub to get maepub.zip and changed its extension to .epub to get a result as maepub.epub
what i had explained in the post i had posted yesterday
i would like to appreciate paul for his commitment towards my post but i want to learn it from from the baby tips
i would like to know step by step to create an epub ,will you be able to say me that whether i had created my folders correctly ,and please suggest me a step by step solution to get avoided from thoose validation problems i had ,i dont know whether iam out of good sense,but why dont you help me by putting a video for a step by step creation on youtube

it would be really helpful for thoose like me ,who really fight to sustain in this field as a beginner
this one is a humble request please go through it and give me a hand to get me my first ebook done,(i would like to remind you iam working on mac)
any kind of response would appreciated,please dont moke with me while reading this post
because iam only a beginner
me too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #55
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

beginner

sir
i am only a beginner,so i cant follow the thread properly,will you be able to put a video on youtube so that i would be much more familiar for a beginner like me
please take my requedt into consider
hope for the best
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
me too
Connoisseur

beginner

thank you sir,
you had given me a reply for my question and apologies for posting it in introduction forum.
sir as i am a beginner i had tried my best but i could not make it to avoid thoose validation problems
sir first i had created a folder as maepub(name of my epub)addead mimetype ,META-inf and OEBPS and the required set of files as suggested in the tutorial
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm.../section3.html

i did upto this step and i dont know to go ahead,will you please suggest me a step by step resolution,plese specify if any downloads are reqiured.
i dont know whether it would be fair or not but iam compelled to ask you for a request to please add a video on you tube that will generate epub using handcode.
my hopes are dying idont know whether i will be able to create an epub or not
will you all join my hand to make this miracle happen
Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #57
me too
Connoisseur

help me

thank you sir
for sending me a link to follow,bu i could not follow may be because oflack of logic as a fresher.i have one request to you that will you please post a video on you tube to explain how to create an epub using hand coding ,putting stress on how to validate and to remove those validation errors occured for me.
i believe you will go through this and make a great decision to make my epub get finished

and
Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #58
me too
Connoisseur

still missing

now i can zip it using the applescript suggested by paul, but when ihad validated i could find two errors,will you please suggest me a solutionResults

Detected version: EPUB 2.0

Results: The following problems were found in maepub.epub:

Type File Line Position Message
ERROR -1 -1 OPS/XHTML file OEBPS/title.html is missing
WARNING -1 -1 item (OEBPS/tittle.html) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
Validated using EpubCheck version 3.0b5-pre.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
now i can zip it using the applescript suggested by paul, but when ihad validated i could find two errors,will you please suggest me a solutionResults

Detected version: EPUB 2.0

Results: The following problems were found in maepub.epub:

Type File Line Position Message
WARNING -1 -1 item (OEBPS/tittle.html) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
Validated using EpubCheck version 3.0b5-pre.

I'm glad to hear you've managed to use the AppleScript successfully. Now you just need to read the error messages you're getting carefully.

The ERROR and WARNING you've got are related. Perhaps if I highlight some bits you'll see what's wrong.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #60
me too
Connoisseur

i got it

i got it ,thanks a lot

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-09-2012 at 03:44 AM.