Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Firmware 1.7.4

I just connected, and it's collected the 1.7.4 firmware. What's this one going to do?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Well, for one, it didn't fix the Sideloaded Epubs Sleep Problem- that's still there...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Can you explain what you mean by that again, Amo?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
1.7.4 firmware on the kobo itself (check system settings on the kobo), or 1.7.4 software version for the kobo application on the PC/MAC? I know the app had been up to 1.7.3 (at my last update a couple weeks ago), but the firmware was only 1.7.1.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
1.7.4 on the Kobo and Desktop 1.7.4; both dated November 17th.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Can you explain what you mean by that again, Amo?
Sideloaded books, i.e. ones not from the kobo store or pre-loaded, will not go to sleep with the single tap on the power button, but instead power the machine right down. Going to "Home" first, then putting them to sleep, works about half the time; the other half still shuts the machine down.

And yes, this is 1.7.4 on the kobo itself; I don't use the desktop app because my Mac OS is too old for it.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I heard via a member of the beta group that it is a minor change to make sure customers have the newest versions of their books and book images when (or if) they get updated, without needing to sign out completely and then resync their entire library.

There may be more to it--but that is all I have heard about it yet.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Great...just updated to 1.7.4 and now everytime I update library on the application or sync to my Kobo it redownloads every book! It takes forever now. Not too sure I'd call that an improvement! Geesh...why was I so quick to update???
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I can't check with the desktop because I am using a different version, but the first time I connected over sync, it downloaded some books that were not in I'm Reading, but were bookmarked in the clouds and on my desktop kobo application. I shut the WiFi reader down, turned it on again, and then repeated the process. It did NOT re-download the books.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Great...just updated to 1.7.4 and now everytime I update library on the application or sync to my Kobo it redownloads every book! It takes forever now. Not too sure I'd call that an improvement! Geesh...why was I so quick to update???
Thanks for being an early adopter Jim, I think I'll live with the firmware I have now.

There has to be a better solution than to load every book - that's painful.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

@ltr. This may have been what happened to Jim, but it did not happen to me. I know it is very important to follow the advice when you upgrade and turn the reader off before you use it again. I'm assuming Jim did that, but sometimes folks do not. There are probably some other things that can affect how this works. I personally turn my reader off before I attempt a second sync, but that is me.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
were bookmarked in the clouds
bookmarked in the clouds??
Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
odd.. while it does do it when I say update library, it doesn't do it when I sync to kobo.. I agree that it is a pain, even if it's just updating library, unless there is a change to the books I currently have, which is known to happen. It really shouldn't take this long if it's only checking if there's an update or not.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
The Kobo Wireless Reader had a big in firmware before 1.7.4 that would cause it not to download changes to books on our servers. This means that if there are content issues that get fixed, you will never see them.

This was the top issue with our customer service team, and necessitated a hotfix from us.

If you let it finish the update once, does it still try to keep downloading every book?
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
bookmarked in the clouds??
On the Kobo server that acts as a conduit for our readers, various apps, desktop application.