Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #301
sarajaner
sarajaner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Is there a way to get this hack now? I tried running a few months ago, and never got it to work. I was going to try running it again, but my link won't work now. Any advice? I'd really like to be able to check out library books on my Kindle. All of this hassle really makes me wish I'd gone with a Nook.
sarajaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #302
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The only way to read ePub library books on a Kindle is to remove the DRM. But then you have to make sure you remember to delete all your copies of the book manually when the loan period expires.

If your library has Mobipocket format ebooks, I think that using kindlepid.py and kindlefix.py should still work.

I'm pretty sure they're in the large archive of tools at Alf's blog. Google is your friend.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #303
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I think that using kindlepid.py and kindlefix.py should still work.
It technically should, but I don't think the version of kindlepid.py in the latest tools archive has been updated to include all the most recent Kindle serial prefixes. There may be some 'manual' updating involved for Kindle3 and DXG users.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #304
harpandheart
harpandheart began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I just got a Kindle 6 and want to use my get books from my library. I've managed to run kindlepid.py and generate a new serial number, only to discover the extension on my library's ebooks is *.acsm.

These are not *.mobi files so running Kindlefix.py to convert them is not working.

Any ideas on this? Is there something I should be doing that will fix this problem and convert the books?

Thanks
harpandheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #305
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've managed to run kindlepid.py and generate a new serial number, only to discover the extension on my library's ebooks is *.acsm.
The .ascm file is not the ebook. That's just the file used to download the ebook.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #306
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpandheart View Post
I just got a Kindle 6 and want to use my get books from my library. I've managed to run kindlepid.py and generate a new serial number, only to discover the extension on my library's ebooks is *.acsm.

These are not *.mobi files so running Kindlefix.py to convert them is not working.

Any ideas on this? Is there something I should be doing that will fix this problem and convert the books?

Thanks
.acsm is the file used by Adobe Digital Editions to download the actual ebook file (usually an ePub, sometimes (I think) a PDF. Never a Mobipocket file.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #307
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpandheart View Post
Apparently your library uses Adobe DRM with ePub (or possibly PDF) ebook files. You really need to search / google around for the inept tools to deal with these. Once you've "liberated" the ePub you can convert it to mobi format with Calibre in order to read it on your kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #308
ExperTeece
ExperTeece began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a Kindle 3 and managed to get the kindlepid.py to work for me by updating the code to recognize my serial number as valid. It has worked great. I just copied the lines where it looks at the first four characters and recognizes numbers starting with B001 as a Kindle 1 and B002 as a Kindle 2.

My Kindle 3 serial number starts with B008 so I added these lines:

elif serial.startswith("B008"):
print "Kindle 3 serial number detected"
ExperTeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #309
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

The version of kindlepid.py in the latest tools, works for all 16 digit serial numbers beginning with the letter "B".

So if anyone still needs it and does not know how to hack the python code, then the one from tools should do the trick.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #310
ExperTeece
ExperTeece began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
KindleizerWin Utility

When I first got my Kindle last September I wanted to read library e-books on it but could not find any for the Kindle. After some Google searching I found Igor's tools and have been using them ever since. However, when I tried to point freinds to them many were not as computer savvy and had trouble using them. So, I did two things to make them easier to use.
First I used PY2EXE to convert them to Windows executables. Then I got out my copy of VB6 and created a wrapper program that allows you to store the PID for all Kindles in your familly and convert books using the interface.
I want to share the result for others in the same situation. You can find it here.

<< LINK TO DRM REMOVAL TOOL MODERATED >>

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.
ExperTeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #311
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Library books on the Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajaner View Post
Is there a way to get this hack now? I tried running a few months ago, and never got it to work. I was going to try running it again, but my link won't work now. Any advice? I'd really like to be able to check out library books on my Kindle. All of this hassle really makes me wish I'd gone with a Nook.
Amazon is working on making our Kindles access library books without any hacks and legally. It is supposed to be here by this fall (2011). I am just going to wait.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #312
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMacD View Post
Amazon is working on making our Kindles access library books without any hacks and legally. It is supposed to be here by this fall (2011). I am just going to wait.
Or just remove drm via calibre and convert to mobi - very easy and works great
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #313
sn123py
sn123py began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
Or just remove drm via calibre and convert to mobi - very easy and works great
yeah, that's the way i save my purchases @amazon.
sn123py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #314
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thi thread is rather obsolete given that there is no more new Mobipocket with DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote