Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 AM   #4801
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I've been hearing that lately from it, either to lower or raise the volume more. I usually have to say Alexa, volume down many times before it's low enough (especially since it keeps reminding me it's going to play something on my laptop) and same with volume up.

I'm annoyed about all the notifications that try to get me to buy something. It is often something that is on my Amazon wishlist or something I have ordered often, such as ginger chews. I will order on my own without Alexa if there is something I want to buy.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:18 AM   #4802
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can also say "Alexa, volume <number between 1 and 10>" to go directly to the volume level you want.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #4803
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can also say "Alexa, volume <number between 1 and 10>" to go directly to the volume level you want.
Sure, but that's hit-or-miss because source audio levels vary and I rarely know what exact number she's set to when I'm starting, so I rarely know exactly what number I want. Is she playing a quiet source at 6, or a loud source at 4?

In any case, it's no excuse for them screwing up a simple feature with worthless intrusive bloat.

Last edited by ApK; 08-15-2022 at 09:28 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #4804
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
pdurrant, you should start writing the weekly Alexa emails for Amazon.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #4805
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mini rant.

And why is Treble, Base, and Midrange on a scale from 1-6.
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 03:47 PM   #4806
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Mini rant.

And why is Treble, Base, and Midrange on a scale from 1-6.
Obviously because the presets were created by a roll of 3 D6.
The devs are level 1 magic users.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #4807
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Here is an interesting one...

I'm listening to some music on an Echo. I say "Alexa, volume up". It lowers the music volume and then asks "Do you want to turn up the volume some more?".

How am I supposed to know if the music isn't playing at full volume?
I got that just yesterday for an audiobook. Probably a temp glitch but it was funny at the time.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #4808
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I got that just yesterday for an audiobook. Probably a temp glitch but it was funny at the time.

It only happened the one time here so far, thankfully. I didn't find it funny.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #4809
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It only happened the one time here so far, thankfully. I didn't find it funny.
We've decided at home to just laugh when Alexa does something stupid. Things that work one day don't the next, and then they do again. You either laugh at it, or start having to get up out of your chair to turn the light on. I'm lazy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #4810
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
or start having to get up out of your chair to turn the light on.

Heaven forbid. You are wise, my brother-in-laziness.

ApK
Old 08-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #4811
John F
Grand Sorcerer

After reading this thread, I asked Alexa to turn up the volume, and she asked me if I wanted to turn up the volume some more. I didn't have music playing.

I then tried it several times again, sonetimes with music playing, and she didn't ask me again.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #4812
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
My Echo Plus 2 is updating its software at the moment. Maybe Amazon sent a fix for wonky volume, or maybe they took a play from Apple’s playbook and sent more bugs.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:35 AM   #4813
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
I got a last generation Echo Dot not too long ago, in charcoal.

I haven't used it a ton, except for controlling my Fire TV Stick Lite and turning my TV off and on (I don't have any smart bulbs or anything).
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #4814
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Last night while I couldn’t sleep, I had Alexa play an Audible book. Typically, I set a sleep time for 30 minutes and restart as many times as it takes. So Audible book started, I set the sleep timer to which she responded, “OK. I’ll stop playing in 30 minutes. Do you want to listen to soothing sleep sounds?”

No, I want to listen to the Audible book I’ve got you playing. Sigh.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #4815
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I dislike Alexa asking for stuff to be rated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote