Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
khm
khm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One. Kobo Aura HD. ReMarkable 2.
Unhappy Overdrive is not searchable

I bought a Kobo Aura One expressly because it supported Overdrive. However, the Overdrive support on the device is self-defeating. Right now you have to browse the Kobo store, and load the details page for a given book to see if it's available through Overdrive. There is no indication of which books are available through overdrive other than the buy/borrow button.

In other words, it's not possible to browse Overdrive titles or even search for books within Overdrive. Annoyingly, the only workaround is to use the web browsers to find books, then go back and search for that book in the Kobo store. This is really annoying. What are the chances of getting an "only show Overdrive books" filter in the Kobo store search?
khm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It is possible to SEARCH for just Overdrive books. Simple tap on the "Kobo" at the right of the search box and select Overdrive from the dropdown. It will then only show you Overdrive books and give you the option to borrow or place a hold (depending if it's currently available). To truly browse is more of an issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but I thought there was already an "Overdrive" option in the search. Open the search from somewhere, tap the search location drop-down and this should have "Kobo", "Overdrive", "My Books" and other items. Selecting "Overdrive" should limit the search. Plus, in the other parts of the store, the book menu (long press on the book) should have borrowing options if the book is available in your library.

And that last bit is important. You register your OD account and a library. The books you can borrow through the Kobo store are only those in your library. Otherwise, it will only show the purchase options.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
You can alternatively search for Overdrive books through you library's Web site. I actually prefer this method as I think the filters work well (e.g., genre, availability, audience, etc.) and it is faster to view books you might want to read from a PC than from the KA1.

Once you find a book you want to read that is available, you can check it out from the library page and sync it to your KA1.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
kelley5454
kelley5454 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo One Aura
Overdrive on Aura One

I too bought this one for Overdrive and agree overdrive is self defeating. I have 4 library card accounts. I have to login to each individually on the e-reader, this is not easy and I had to tape my library card numbers to the front of the device. A lot of people told me to use libby on my phone or tablet and it would auto sync all my books from all libraries to the Aura but it simply does not do that.

I bought 2 of these, one for my daughter for Christmas as I understand my borrowed books would sync across all accounts and she could read her books on the other reader. Now I am worried as it seems like she will have to deal with the same issue I am having.

I am certainly questioning buying two of these now and thinking I made a mistake.
kelley5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley5454 View Post
I too bought this one for Overdrive and agree overdrive is self defeating. I have 4 library card accounts. I have to login to each individually on the e-reader, this is not easy and I had to tape my library card numbers to the front of the device. A lot of people told me to use libby on my phone or tablet and it would auto sync all my books from all libraries to the Aura but it simply does not do that.
Only if the books are available in the Kobo store with the same version as the library. As mentioned in another thread, seeing the Buy option is not enough. If the book is not available from the Kobo store, you'll need to go old school and download/sideload those books.

Quote:
I bought 2 of these, one for my daughter for Christmas as I understand my borrowed books would sync across all accounts and she could read her books on the other reader. Now I am worried as it seems like she will have to deal with the same issue I am having.
Why would you want the library books you check out syncing to your daughter's ereader? To me, it would make more sense to set her up with her own library card (I'm hoping that if she is that young, you added her to a Kobo Kids account). As it is, it sounds as if both of you will have access to any books purchased from the Kobo store or borrowed from a library by either of you.

Quote:
I am certainly questioning buying two of these now and thinking I made a mistake.
My family is quite happy with their Kobos but each of us has our own Kobo and library accounts. I have enough trouble keeping up with my choices in books without seeing what my family are reading.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura one, overdrive