Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast
JeffASonyReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Washing screen of PRS-505 Sony Reader

Hi, how do you wash your screen on the PRS-505? I accidentially pressed my finger on it, and used a 100% microfiber cloth to circular rub the surface gently, no water. The cloth came from my monster cleaning solution package to clean my LCD monitor.

If a nasty dirt mark comes on it, any suggestions? Sony's support section didn't seem to have any word on that.
JeffASonyReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is use a little water (not mch at all) to get the dirt off and then use a microfiber cloth to dry/clean the screen. Works quite well for me. Also, you can use the cleaning solution used to clean your glasses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast

Great advice, if the need arises I'll try that. Sony said any liquids would destroy the surface. Not sure how to react to that one.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I use a dry microfibre cloth for dust on the screen and a slightly damp one to remove fingerprints etc. this has worked well for the 9 months that I've had the Reader.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
A couple of times I used the same kit as I used to clean my computer monitor (LCD).
I wonder whether I have been wrong?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Reader's screen is a hard plastic - any non-corrosive, non-abrasive cleaner should work fine. I use a micro-fibre cloth to remove fingerprints (the same one I use to clean my glasses), and a warm damp cloth with a bit of washing-up liquid to get rid of the occasional more serious dirt.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
I just use one of those pre-packaged Zeiss lens cloths.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I use the "mom" method, you know moisten your finger with spit and wipe vigorously.

For dusting, I go with that canned air stuff. Lots of fun to play with, that stuff is. Unfortunately, they won't let me order it at work any more ... the test-tube incident caused that, I think.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I use the "mom" method, you know moisten your finger with spit and wipe vigorously.
Do you do that while scolding it sternly and call it by it's full name - the way my mom would have? Maybe with a good tug on the ear to boot. I remember wishing I could run away and scrub myself just to avoid the experience.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Do you do that while scolding it sternly and call it by it's full name - the way my mom would have? Maybe with a good tug on the ear to boot.
No, I haven't tried those nuances ... maybe that's why it never struggles and groans: "Maa-uuum!"
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast

Actually, I use windex. I wipe it, scrubbing hard. Then I put some grease cleaner on it to be sure. I toss is in the washer after that. I know I'm getting a good clean then. I slide it in my tray in the kitchen, let it air dry. If they're open, I drop it off at the dry cleaners. Usually they get it right, but occasionally they lose an IC chip or pixel. That's okay. Last time, when they lost an IC chip, all the profanity in my ebooks dissappeared. So that's okay.

Sony said you woulden't believe the calls they get....

Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sadly, I probably would. I've worked Tech-Support lines, you see. It's a wonder some folks out there can dress themselves without suffering a fatal mischief.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Sadly, I probably would. I've worked Tech-Support lines, you see. It's a wonder some folks out there can dress themselves without suffering a fatal mischief.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffASonyReader View Post
Hi, how do you wash your screen on the PRS-505? I accidentially pressed my finger on it, and used a 100% microfiber cloth to circular rub the surface gently, no water. The cloth came from my monster cleaning solution package to clean my LCD monitor.

If a nasty dirt mark comes on it, any suggestions? Sony's support section didn't seem to have any word on that.
I have that same package. Why don't you wet the cloth with the solution? Worked great on mine.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
just use cheap generic microfiber cloth and a bit of saliva. Works wonders.
I have been using this method for quite a time without any adverse efects on the reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote