Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Update.
Idly googling this issue I find a 15 page thread on problems getting windows and kobo to play nice. All sorts of fixes suggested.e.g install kobo desktop again, go via a usb hub.... I wonder if the issue is not with my device port after all but may have been triggered by installing windows fall creators update ?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-kobo-ereader/
I don't have kobo desktop installed, I could go get latest version, from kobo I assume.. Theory is that it may install newer drivers ?
IIRC (and maybe I'm wrong and this was a different Windows update) there was a specific problem that MS created with some USB devices and that particular update. Kobo pushed a workaround in a firmware update after that and MS eventually fixed the issue on their side too. So aside from what David said (and trust it a whole lot more than anything I say ), that thread may not be relevant because the problem was fixed.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:47 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
IIRC (and maybe I'm wrong and this was a different Windows update) there was a specific problem that MS created with some USB devices and that particular update. Kobo pushed a workaround in a firmware update after that and MS eventually fixed the issue on their side too. So aside from what David said (and trust it a whole lot more than anything I say ), that thread may not be relevant because the problem was fixed.
i remember that specific issue, and it being fixed, but the thread runs for a wide date range , across several Kobo models, there is at least one post for oct 17.

because mine connects eventually , I doubt its a usb driver issue.. i could figure out any science that could explain the reports of " connects OK via cheap usb hub" but not directly to a usb port.. i do have a ( not cheap) hub already linked so that is another test i can do though

good to know that adding kobo desktop is a red herring - i will not do that, but it did occur to me the the device has probably been in aeroplane mode for over a year- maybe worth syncing it / checking firmware version when it it next here ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so , looking at micro sd cards. I do not have one to hand already and it seems the days of finding used ones on ebay at 99p are long gone !
I assume I don't need a fast class 10 for an -ereader and that pretty much any class will do ?
I can see a 4Gb class 4 card for £5 on amazon prime - should that be OK. I like amazon prime as I can send it back if it does not work - no hassle
Old 11-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #19
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Here it would cost not more than 10-15$ for that kind of work, but UK is a different beast i suppose

You can download books from calibre via WiFi , using the calibre content server an the inbuilt kobo browser.
On top bar on calibre there is a "Connect/Share" button.Press that and press start content server.After it started it will show the ip address and port of the content server, something like "192.168.1.101:8080" . So you enter that address in the kobo browser and you can browse and download from your calibre library

Edit:
Pc running Calibre and the e-reader should be connected to same WiFi router.
I got tired of my Aura One not connecting to Mac and having to restart Mac whenever I want to load books. So I tried this for the first time and it worked! Amazing, thanks!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard

i am waiting for my son to bring ours back for a day then I plan to test all the suggestions.
I will look for any firmware updates available for the device, and I will see if connecting via a USB hub makes any difference . I will also try out the browser, to locate my calibre content server and or shared folders/ and or dropbox
so lots to try, even without buying a micro SD card
I am hoping to diagnose whether it is actaully an iffy USB port connect on the device or just general " don't much like each other " going on between kobo & latest windows usb protocols.
All my PC USB ports are good with other devices so I't very unlikely to be those.

Longer term, I may just work on persuading him to switch to a Kindle for less hassle
with a Kindle I could use send to... email to save him a physical trip with the device
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard

so I got the finicky kobo back from my son for more testing - after much nagging
1st test, as per the google search ideas, was to comnnect it tomy ( unpowered) usb 2 hub instead of to a working front of PC usb " port. It showed up as a windows device immediately

I don't get the science behind that at all. I know 1 test is not that significant but I will repeat that later. [ it is not likely to be my usb drivers as it used to work via those front ports sometimes, somewhat randomly.
as at now, I saw it had last synced in 2014 so I am installing updates.

is there anything else I could be doing/ checking while I have it here for testing ?
update- it synced and installed 4.6.9995
then I disconnected and reconnected to the usb hubn and it worked again

anything I need to know about that firmware version ?

Last edited by stumped; 11-17-2017 at 03:03 AM.