Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #1
fra_dta
fra_dta began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
Set as Cover: works in Win not in Mac

Hi, I use both Sigil for Windows and for Mac, and when using it on Mac I really miss this feature: in windows if I right click on one item in the "text" left column, I can set it as "Cover"
In Mac there isn't such option
If I right click on one item a menu appears, with a lot of options, I click on Adding Semantics and a popup menu appears, and cover is one of them, but if I click on it, then ok, and save, and open the epub on Sigil windows version, the Cover is not set

Does Anybody know how to fix it or it is a bug?

Regards
fra_dta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The GUI should be identical. What version of Sigil are you using on Windows and which on Mac? It sounds like you are using an older pre epub3 version on Windows.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is a Toggle. Maybe it was set
Both the page (file) and the Image need to be set as cover
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
On Windows I sometimes experience it is not set in the first go. I just check if it has been set after doing it to be sure. I haven't found a consistent manner to reproduce this yet, but it seems to be related to clicking. If I use double-click instead of a single click it almost always works right.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's clear to me that the OP is using a much older version of Sigil on Windows than they are on the Mac. It's also clear to me that not knowing the differences between those versions has resulted in them using the Set Semantics dialog in the newer version to set/unset the cover semantic without realizing they're doing it. The tool-tip (hover over the file with the mouse in the book browser) will have "(Cover)" appended to the file name when the cover semantic is set.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #6
fra_dta

Hi all,
yes, I discovered I am using different versions, on windows I have 0.6.2 version, on mac 0.9.8
And ok for the Cover option in Strumenti (I'm using the ITA version), I tried it

So if I upgrade to 0.9.8 in windows I will have the same gui I have now in mac?

Maybe it's just an habits, but I'd rather remain with the old gui

Last edited by fra_dta; 10-05-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
fra_dta

I was used to working with it:

https://image.ibb.co/ehphTw/sigil1.jpg

And I noted the now in 0.9.8 there is not this option anymore, is it correct?

https://image.ibb.co/fQ9hTw/sigil3.jpg
Old 10-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is correct. Way too many semantic options to fit on one context menu. But the tooltip notification and the toggle behavior are the same as they always were. And Split View went away a long time ago (though Book View with the Preview widget open more than suffices for most as a replacement).

Your choice which version you ultimately use, of course, but it doesn't seem like such a huge adjustment to make, to me, for all the advantages gained. When talking 0.6.x vs 0.9.x, plugins alone would tip the scale for me. You really rank comfy-cover-semantic-setting higher than plugin availability, though? Not to mention the eradication of the code-eating, style-butchering HTMLTidy? Cover setting is a do-it-once-per-book-and-you're-done event. You'll give up all future enhancement possibilities just so you can set the cover the way you always did?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
fra_dta

I think I will try to use the new version and test how I feel with it. I have been using the old gui in windows for five years, but never use any plugins, and I don't know what code-eating or style-butchering are, but I like Sigil and it worth a try :-)
Thanks for the answers
Paolo
P.S. I will get old 0.6.2 setup, just so, and what is the 0.6.2 like osx version? And does it work with Sierra?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra_dta View Post
P.S. I will get old 0.6.2 setup, just so, and what is the 0.6.2 like osx version? And does it work with Sierra?
Kevin (or someone else) may be able to better answer that question. I know the latest versions of Sigil won't work on older Macs, but I'm not sure about the reverse.

P.S. ... and trust me, I get it. I clung to the 0.4.x series for dear life for a long time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-05-2017 at 11:03 AM.