Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
fredb
fredb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle 3, iRex DR800
Kindle DX strange noise

Hello,

I am a new user of a Kindle DX graphite. I am very pleased with the wonderful screen of this ereader : the Pearl screen is indeeed a nice upgrade.

But, I would like to ask the other owners if they have noticed a very faint noise just after having pressed a button ? In fact, when I press a button I can hear a kind of faint whistle of 1 or 2 seconds. It sounds as an electric noise and seems to last only the time of the internal processor work.

It is a very low noise and I only notice it with a very silent background... But, once noticed, it is quite disturbing and distract me from my reading : (

Any idea about this problem ?

Last edited by fredb; 09-13-2010 at 11:37 PM.
fredb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, FredB.

If the noise continues to disturb you, use the 'contact me' button on the right of your kindle support page for help.

My SIL has one and we haven't noticed any noise..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Diodato
Diodato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
My DX exhibits the same from the very first use. I believe it's not a defect. Just don't think about it and in no time you'll get used to and stop noticing it.
Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
fredb

Thanks for yours answers.

But, it's quite strange that some are experiencing the same noise while others haven't noticed anything !

Is it particular to the new graphite DX only ?

Last edited by fredb; 09-14-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
fredb

I also want to add that I am also owner of a Kindle 2 and I have never experienced such a problem with it !

And, as a french guy, I use a lot the dictionary to improve my english so the noise happens also each time I use the "joystick" and it begins to be quite bothersome...
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
fredb

No other experience from a DX owner ?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
TalkingBook
TalkingBook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Hi there.

If it's a very high-pitched noise, it could be that it's present in others' devices but they can't hear it.

That being said, I'm usually very sensitive to such noises, and I've yet to hear one come out of my DXG. Sounds pretty annoying; personally I'd contact CS about it just in case it is a known symptom of some more serious problem with the device.

Good luck!
TalkingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingBook View Post
Hi there.

If it's a very high-pitched noise, it could be that it's present in others' devices but they can't hear it.

That being said, I'm usually very sensitive to such noises, and I've yet to hear one come out of my DXG. Sounds pretty annoying; personally I'd contact CS about it just in case it is a known symptom of some more serious problem with the device.

Good luck!
Thanks and I'm glad that your DX seems OK.

I've just phoned CS and they were very kind. They tried to help me by phone but they finally concluded that there was certainly something wrong with my Kindle and, after many apologies, they send me a new one today .

Frankly, it's the first time I see a Customer Service so helpful .
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Diodato
Diodato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredb View Post
...they send me a new one today
Good for you! It's truly a rarity to see good CS, and from what I read, Amazon does stand itself out in this matter.

Your unit may be more noisier than mine. I notice the "buzzing" only under absolute silence - like at 2 in the night. So it doesn't bother me.
You might also have more younger ears than mine, he he
Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
LucieA
Kindle Rocks!
LucieA began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
still noisy?

Quote:
Thanks and I'm glad that your DX seems OK.

I've just phoned CS and they were very kind. They tried to help me by phone but they finally concluded that there was certainly something wrong with my Kindle and, after many apologies, they send me a new one today .

Just curious, does the new one they sent you have any strange noises?

They replaced my broken Kindle 3 a while back because a broken screen and I don't remember it making noise like this reburbished one they sent me.
LucieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hello,

I am a new user of a Kindle DX graphite. I am very pleased with the wonderful screen of this ereader : the Pearl screen is indeeed a nice upgrade.

But, I would like to ask the other owners if they have noticed a very faint noise just after having pressed a button ? In fact, when I press a button I can hear a kind of faint whistle of 1 or 2 seconds. It sounds as an electric noise and seems to last only the time of the internal processor work.

It is a very low noise and I only notice it with a very silent background... But, once noticed, it is quite disturbing and distract me from my reading : (

Any idea about this problem ?
Does not look normal to me. And I am very picky with noises as well. I would return it if you find it annoying.

That's why I bought my Kindle on a brick store. I know Amazon support is superb! But a brick store gives you the advantage of return it or change it even 2 or 3 times without waiting for shipping or dealing with Amazon directly; sometimes Amazon believes you're just playing around after several returns in a row.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-19-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Fixing a typo
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
m0isty
m0isty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sounds very much like the noise that the e-ink screen makes when refreshing to me. Sit in a very quiet place, put your ear to the screen and turn the page to hear it yourself. I would guess that the DX would be louder than a k3 as it has a larger screen.

It's perfectly normal, but maybe you have very good ears, or a slightly louder than normal screen?
m0isty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
One thing I like about the kindle is that unlike my laptop there's really no sound or heat coming out of it. Also I don't think there's really any interference with radio reception. LCD's can be "heard" on radio..usually Am/medium wave band.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
LucieA
Kindle Rocks!
LucieA began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I am sensitive to noise, but it doesn't really bug me. I just wanted to know if it's normal so thank you for your responses. It wasn't the noise that really concerned me, it was that it could mean failure down the road if it wasn't normal. I just wanted to clear up any problems before my warranty runs out. Thank you again
LucieA is offline   Reply With Quote