Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Registering Kindle without wireless

Hi,

I just got my Kindle2. Love it
Since I live in Sweden I can't use the wireless features, no big deal. But I can't seem to register my Kindle? My Amazon account is registered to the Kindle so I can buy and download books to my kindle just fine but my Kindle doesn't know it's registered.
This means I can't acces the setting meny cause it want me to register first...

Anyone found a way to register their Kindle without mobile network coverage?
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am wondering the same thing. I will eventually be back in the states but for the mean time...
Sigh
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
vickikayak
vickikayak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
You can register your Kindle from Amazon's site. Log in. If you're on the main Amazon page, there's a small link in the upper right corner to "Your Account." Click that. There's a block called "Digital Content" and under the heading "Digital Management" you'll see, "Manage Your Kindle." Click that. Under the section "Your Kindles," you'll see a link "Register a new Kindle." It will ask you for your serial number, which is on the back of your Kindle. Then follow the rest of the steps.

That's also where you can keep track of orders, redownload books, change your Kindle's name and email address. If you ever want to send documents to your Kindle, take a minute to put in email addresses you might use. If you don't authorize an email address, Amazon won't send anything to your Kindle. Cuts out the option of SPAM.

Enjoy your Kindle!
vickikayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know about that... that is all taken care of and I can download books until I am blue in the face... and I can then just send them to the Kindle through USB.
When you look at the Kindle itself there is a section where you register it by entering your Amazon email and password... then click submit. That is what I cannot do until I get back to the states
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
That's because it's your whispernet address and you don't have one until Whispernet finds you.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
That's because it's your whispernet address and you don't have one until Whispernet finds you.

cheers
Oh Fiddle Sticks
Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
When you look at the Kindle itself there is a section where you register it by entering your Amazon email and password... then click submit. That is what I cannot do until I get back to the states
No worries. It will work fine without knowing that it is registered.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yeah, other than the fact you can't register it on the menu (duh), is there anything else you can't access? Why do you say you can't access the settings menu?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #9
hmemcpy
hmemcpy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Yeah, other than the fact you can't register it on the menu (duh), is there anything else you can't access? Why do you say you can't access the settings menu?
I have the same problem - I live in Israel and although my Kindle is registered on the Amazon site (under "Manage your Kindle"), the device itself needs to be registered as well. When I try to access the Settings menu, it wants to register the Kindle before allowing me to do anything else in the settings. Since there is no Whispernet - I am unable to register, and I'm sure that's the original poster's (Bjorn) problem.
hmemcpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

i love it...
let me rephrase that!
Im Lovin it
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmemcpy View Post
I have the same problem - I live in Israel and although my Kindle is registered on the Amazon site (under "Manage your Kindle"), the device itself needs to be registered as well. When I try to access the Settings menu, it wants to register the Kindle before allowing me to do anything else in the settings. Since there is no Whispernet - I am unable to register, and I'm sure that's the original poster's (Bjorn) problem.
Can you elaborate a little? I assume this means you can't set the Device Niame, Device E-mail, or Personal Info? When you hit Menu, do you get options Turn Wireless On, Shop in Kindle Store, Disable Annotations Backup, Update Your Kindle, Restart, Reset to Factory Defaults, Legal, Sync & Check For Items?

Anyway, regardless, you can still load and read Amazon and other content to the device via USB.

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-15-2009 at 01:40 PM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
hmemcpy
hmemcpy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Can you elaborate a little? I assume this means you can't set the Device Niame, Device E-mail, or Personal Info? When you hit Menu, do you get options Turn Wireless On, Shop in Kindle Store, Disable Annotations Backup, Update Your Kindle, Restart, Reset to Factory Defaults, Legal, Sync & Check For Items?

Anyway, regardless, you can still load and read Amazon and other content to the device via USB.
You are correct. I cannot set all these things because they all require wireless which I cannot turn on.
When I hit Menu, I can get the following:
* Turn Wireless On
* Shop in Kindle Store (which demands turning wireless on)
* Search (which takes me to the search dialog, however wiki/web search is not functional because the device is not registered)
* Settings (which takes me to "Registration" dialog, and nothing else)
* Experimental (where Basic web doesn't work for the same reasons)
and disabled Sync & Check for Items.

For now I'm happy loading my content via USB. Hopefully the wireless issue will be one day solved either by Amazon or generous people on this site
hmemcpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Yupp, what he said
So far the only thing I "want" from the settings menu is the ability to name my Kindle, he feels neglected being called "My Kindle".
Other than that everything seems to work fine. Have managed to buy books from a swedish bookstore and lend(lent?) books from my library.
And just to get Amazon of my back, -yes I have also bought books from amazon.com
The TTS on the swedish book is hilarious btw.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
jfppal
jfppal began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
Yupp, what he said
So far the only thing I "want" from the settings menu is the ability to name my Kindle, he feels neglected being called "My Kindle".
Other than that everything seems to work fine. Have managed to buy books from a swedish bookstore and lend(lent?) books from my library.
And just to get Amazon of my back, -yes I have also bought books from amazon.com
The TTS on the swedish book is hilarious btw.
Not only that. Without whispernet you cannot change the included dictionary because you need access to the settings also. I have mine in Spain and it's my main disappointment. I Hope the Amazon teem will allow the access via USB for registering purpose making so this menu useful outside the U.S.
Juan.
jfppal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
mariusga
mariusga began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Meanwhile have you found solution to register the device without wireless support?
Any solution?
mariusga is offline   Reply With Quote