Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 07:07 AM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Porkburger

Next
Then what would you call a burger made from ground pork? It too cannot be a pork burger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then what would you call a burger made from ground pork?
Lunch?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #123
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Then what would you call a burger made from ground pork? It too cannot be a pork burger.
A ground pork burger.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #124
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Of course it can

Had a pork and chorizo burger the other day, very tasty.

I've changed my mind, I reckon we would call a burger made from ham a "Ham Toastie" or possibly Bob.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #125
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Of course it can

Had a pork and chorizo burger the other day, very tasty.

I've changed my mind, I reckon we would call a burger made from ham a "Ham Toastie" or possibly Bob.
Can't be Bob. That is a sausage burger with egg.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #126
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmobile View Post
What the hec is all about a "liseuse" Ereader Kobo, Kindle and the like while one can read on so many types of screens including the faithful old smartphone?
I have had a Nook Simple touch for years. Used it heavily at first, then it fell into dis-use for several years. I went back to reading paperbacks, because they were cheaper than eBooks and I could find a larger selection.

About 3 months ago I picked up a Kindle Fire HD8 when Amazon had them on sale on "Prime Day". I had been thinking about getting a tablet for years, but could never really come up with a use for one. My computers are more powerful than tablets, and I can get down into the bowels of them to make them do whatever I want (I have decades of Unix/Linux system administration and geekdom under my belt). I knew that the Fire tablets were severely hobbled, and are definitely a low end tablet. More of an "Amazon Consumption Device" really. Once I found out that you could install Google Play on the newer Fires, that opened up a lot more apps than you have available from Amazon. So for the $49 sale price of the Fire HD8, it was a no-brainer for me to buy one. I use it to watch videos on the go, minor email and web browsing, alarm clock, shopping list, etc. Trivial little things really. I looked at a few eBooks on the Fire and it was OK. But just OK.

So that revived my interest in my mothballed Nook Simple Touch. I started using that again,and found I kind of liked it. The main thing for me being that it is so light and easy to handle. More convenient in the hand than a printed book. I asked on this website and got multiple replies on how to find reasonably prices eBooks. So now I'm back into electronic book reading as opposed to paper book reading.

And then, I randomly bumped into another sale at Amazon. This time for the various Kindle eReaders (or e-reader, or ereader ... whichever name you prefer to call them!) Did I need a Kindle PaperWhite? Or course not. I was sitting pretty good on my old Nook and the new Fire tablet. But I bought the PaperWhite anyway. Why?, I have no idea! Probably because it was on sale for only $89. I don't read in the dark, so the lighting is probably useless to me. It has higher resolution than my Nook (which seems fine to me none-the-less). Maybe that's why I bought it. But for whatever reason I decided to buy it 2 days ago, it should be hitting my doorstep any moment now, and I'll give it a try.

I think the biggest advantage of an eReader over a tablet or gigantic phone (which I think looks a bit silly propped up against the side of your head), is that the dedicated eReader would seem much better for a voracious book reader. For the occasional book reader, anything would do. And for ME, anything would do. But I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about spending a few dollars here and there, so I can "waste" money buying myself toys if I want. Plus, when I see someone pop out their giant phone and plaster it up to their ear, I'm going to slap my Fire tablet up against MY ear to trump them. Even though the Fire doesn't work as a phone, they won't know that and their jealousy should surge. Send them on a frantic search to find a bigger device to keep up, while I get a good chuckle out of the situation.

p.s. - I don't consider my cellphone to be a useful eReader. It's barely even a useful cellphone. It's so old it won't run any apps anymore. The screen is small. And the battery life is limited to about one 5 minute call per day, before the battery totally exhausts itself and the thing crashes and tries to reboot (but fails in that, due to lack of battery power). Some day I'll replace that cellphone. Maybe I'll bump into another Amazon sale!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #127
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I read on my 7+ when waiting somewhere, but especially when I read in bed, I prefer my Kobo. I have horrible vision, but can see clearly up close at about 6-7 inches from my eyes.

A backlit device, even with night shade or whatever it’s called, and the light way down, it still bothers my eyes.

The front lighting of the Kobo and similar Kindles I’ve used is fine. I turn it down and then down again after I’ve read a while.

I’ve tried white text on black, but the light is still too bright and harsh from backlighting.

For normal daytime reading, my phone or mini is ok. But for long reading sessions, nothing beats e-ink with a front light.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #128
frogmobile
frogmobile began at the beginning.

Device: none
My personnal solution goes against the trend on this forum, sorry about that? I read on my 60$ Lenovo smphone with the app "Ebook Reader" I choose the background texture "paper" , it's light brown and look like parchmin and is very pleasant. It make reading a breeze with low contrast. I also use a portable battery booster that gives me plenty of time before the batteries die on me. I am on the economy side for a while (money has hemoraged with no income for some time now) I will buy a Kobo or the like some day I promise!
frogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #129
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
My personnal solution goes against the trend on this forum, sorry about that? I read on my 60$ Lenovo smphone with the app "Ebook Reader" I choose the background texture "paper" , it's light brown and look like parchmin and is very pleasant. It make reading a breeze with low contrast. I also use a portable battery booster that gives me plenty of time before the batteries die on me. I am on the economy side for a while (money has hemoraged with no income for some time now) I will buy a Kobo or the like some day I promise!
Oh, I read on my phone, if I must. But I prefer to read on my One as that one simply is bigger Or I'll grab my tablet, if that one is more conveniently placed...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #130
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You can buy a Kobo Aura for less than $60. Though I admit a smartphone is more useful overall while being a 'good enough for now' reading device if you are limited to just the one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #131
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you don't feel you need one, don't waste your money on one. That would be as silly as buying my youngest any kitchen gadgets. She cooks one thing.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 AM   #132
frogmobile
frogmobile began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for you replies fellows, this is a lively forum. I feel a bit cocky here to say that I am not using an Ereader: I will get one as an opportune buy someday. Here I found out about Calibre. Yesterday I downloaded freely a book that I wanted for a long time but it was in PDF and I prefer Epub to read on my phone. I learned quickly how to convert it using Calibre. Think of it: Culture is now FOR EVERYONE in this world, free at a click of a mouse. This must be the happy side of our times if any...
frogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #133
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Thanks for you replies fellows, this is a lively forum. I feel a bit cocky here to say that I am not using an Ereader: I will get one as an opportune buy someday. Here I found out about Calibre. Yesterday I downloaded freely a book that I wanted for a long time but it was in PDF and I prefer Epub to read on my phone. I learned quickly how to convert it using Calibre. Think of it: Culture is now FOR EVERYONE in this world, free at a click of a mouse. This must be the happy side of our times if any...
You may not realize this, but Mobileread is not strictly for ereaders. There are also forums dedicated to Android and iPad. Mobile devices that can also be used to read books.
Come to think of it there is also a forum for Fire tablets. So there is no need to feel cocky. Just enjoy reading.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #134
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you don't feel you need one, don't waste your money on one. That would be as silly as buying my youngest any kitchen gadgets. She cooks one thing.
And now I want to know what she cooks! (you cannot make a statement like that and leave!)

Quote:
You read books on an electronic device. So, you fit right in.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #135
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And now I want to know what she cooks! (you cannot make a statement like that and leave!)

You read books on an electronic device. So, you fit right in.
She makes boxed macaroni and cheese. Her daddy even buys her the half stick butter so she doesn't have to dirty a knife.