Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
tammie1983
tammie1983 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Smile Colour screen ereader/tablet? Confused...

Hi, wondering if anyone here can help me...

I currently use a Nook HD+ with the Kobo app, and Calibre on my PC to transfer books (I review ARCs and receive them in ePub and Mobi format) to the Nook.

But, I know the Nook isn't supported here in England anymore. I only use it for ereading (I have an iPad but don't think I have the storage for books). Sometimes on the Nook I get a notification telling me some app isn't supported (there's a bunch of pre-installed apps on it).

Anyway, long story short... does anyone make a colour screen standalone ereader? ie the pictures/covers of the books/magazines in colour?

I'm looking at maybe getting a subscription to Kindle Unlimited. I love Kobo and collect points there too. Plus, I have the ARC files in ePub and Mobi so I need something I can easily transfer from computer to device.

Help?!? I cannot find any ereader with a colour screen. Then I go back to tablets and the various apps (Kobo/Kindle). But I need the Calibre integration which I've read is tricky with iOS.

I love the iOS look and feel, not so much a fan of the Nook's Android OS but all I use is the Kobo app which I love.
tammie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie1983 View Post
Help?!? I cannot find any ereader with a colour screen. Then I go back to tablets and the various apps (Kobo/Kindle). But I need the Calibre integration which I've read is tricky with iOS.

I love the iOS look and feel, not so much a fan of the Nook's Android OS but all I use is the Kobo app which I love.
Calibre integration isn't at all difficult with iOS. Use the "Calibre Companion" iOS app to sync the library on the iPad with your PC. Works with any reading app. Alternatively, you can use Calibre's ODPS server.

(CC has a temporary problem at the moment with the about-to-be-released iOS 11, but I'm sure the developer will soon fix it.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
tammie1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Calibre integration isn't at all difficult with iOS. Use the "Calibre Companion" iOS app to sync the library on the iPad with your PC. Works with any reading app. Alternatively, you can use Calibre's ODPS server.

(CC has a temporary problem at the moment with the about-to-be-released iOS 11, but I'm sure the developer will soon fix it.)
Hi Harry I'd be transferring books from the PC to the iPad (Kobo app if possible). Now I upload the files to Calibre on my PC then send them to the Nook via cable, then in Kobo I import the books.

So I'm assuming I connect the iPad (Wi-Fi or cable?!?) to the PC, find it in Calibre then 'send' the books to the iPad and import them into Kobo the same way?

Or would I be using the Calibre Companion iOS app to read the books?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Harry I'd be transferring books from the PC to the iPad (Kobo app if possible). Now I upload the files to Calibre on my PC then send them to the Nook via cable, then in Kobo I import the books.

So I'm assuming I connect the iPad (Wi-Fi or cable?!?) to the PC, find it in Calibre then 'send' the books to the iPad and import them into Kobo the same way?

Or would I be using the Calibre Companion iOS app to read the books?
CC is just a library manager, not a reader, so CC synchronises your PC library with your iPad (via WiFi). You can then browse and search your library in CC, and when you find a book you want to read you "tap and hold" it in CC. This opens the iPad's "Send To..." menu, and you choose the reading app you want to read the book in. The book is copied to the reading app, and the app opens with the book in it. (That probably sounds complicated - it's a lot simpler than it sounds ).
Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
tammie1983

Quote:
CC is just a library manager, not a reader, so CC synchronises your PC library with your iPad (via WiFi). You can then browse and search your library in CC, and when you find a book you want to read you "tap and hold" it in CC. This opens the iPad's "Send To..." menu, and you choose the reading app you want to read the book in. The book is copied to the reading app, and the app opens with the book in it. (That probably sounds complicated - it's a lot simpler than it sounds ).
So if I transferred say, 10 books via CC onto the iPad via the PC, I wouldn't then upload all 10 at once into the Kobo app? I'd open it in CC and read each one, one at a time?

See I'm used to transferring in bulk, anything from 2 to 20 at a time, depending how many I've been sent for review. That way they're all ready in the Kobo app when I need them.

Ha, sounded fine, you explained it really well, thank you. I'm not very technically minded I'm afraid lol
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So if I transferred say, 10 books via CC onto the iPad via the PC, I wouldn't then upload all 10 at once into the Kobo app? I'd open it in CC and read each one, one at a time?

See I'm used to transferring in bulk, anything from 2 to 20 at a time, depending how many I've been sent for review. That way they're all ready in the Kobo app when I need them.

Ha, sounded fine, you explained it really well, thank you. I'm not very technically minded I'm afraid lol
That's right - CC stores your library, not the reading app. Open the book in the reading app, read it, and then delete it from the app again (it remains in your CC library). I mean you could leave the book in the Kobo app if you wanted to, but there's really no point in having the book stored twice.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
That's right - CC stores your library, not the reading app. Open the book in the reading app, read it, and then delete it from the app again (it remains in your CC library). I mean you could leave the book in the Kobo app if you wanted to, but there's really no point in having the book stored twice.
Actually since version 11 supports a file system it is likely this problem will go away.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Another thing you might consider for transferring books to an Ipad is the Sony PWS. You can put a large micro SD card in it and install the app in your Ipad and easily transfer books wirelessly from the device. It's twice the size of a thumb drive and it has it's own Wifi. The app is available for IOS.

I'm an Android user so I'm not sure how the PWS app integrates with IOS but I'm sure you'll be able to find out about that easily enough. These devices are cheap and reliable. Here's a link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable...words=sony+pws

That's for the USA Amazon site but that's the one I have the link handy for. It'll give you the information about the device. There are also a number of good reviews of them on Youtube. I've been using these with Android for years with never a problem. I helped someone set his up on his Iphone last week so I know it works okay but that was only about videos. I never looked beyond that with IOS.

Also there are a lot of newer devices of this type. You probably want to look around if you do think of going this way. I pointed to this one because I know it's reliable and cheap. I've used the Sandisk Connect and the Mobilelite as well. They cost a lot more but work as well.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote