Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxh11 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I did a lot of trouble shooting, swapping the TX and RX was one of the things i already tried.
No fair.
You can not expect me to know about anything which you do not post.
I can not see over your shoulder nor channel into your mind.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Post Try this

First what os do you have on your computer? See if you can send and receive data on the port 3 and 2(?).
On windows, use a software called AccessPort. Loop back the TX pin (pin 2) to the RX pin (pin 3) on the by
placing a jumper (for example a paperclip) between the TX and RX pins.
Setup accessport with the correct setting for the serial to usb cable.
(idea - check that the baud rate on all interfaces is 19200).
Then type things in the window, hit send, and the data should show up on the other window. Now you know your cable works. If it does I may have some other ideas to make it work
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #18
vinix
vinix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen)
I have exactly the same situation.

My kindle is Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen.). Connect to PC displayed as "SE Blank MEGREZ".

I got the USB-Serial Converter, not the one in the debrick post on this forum, but it's suggested by a blog post in Chinese which also about repairing Kindle. I tested it to make sure the loopback is working on 2 PC, Windows 10 x86 and Windows 10 x64.

I connected the pins and no any output on Putty when I press the power button. I swapped the TX and RX pin but still no luck.

Attachment is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20170620_181121_vHDR_Auto_small.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	157426  
vinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix View Post
I have exactly the same situation.

My kindle is Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen.). Connect to PC displayed as "SE Blank MEGREZ".

I got the USB-Serial Converter, not the one in the debrick post on this forum, but it's suggested by a blog post in Chinese which also about repairing Kindle. I tested it to make sure the loopback is working on 2 PC, Windows 10 x86 and Windows 10 x64.

I connected the pins and no any output on Putty when I press the power button. I swapped the TX and RX pin but still no luck.

Attachment is the pic.
We only support ours, we do not support anything/everything people can find on the 'net.
(If you where using our directions, it would be immediately obvious that you had Tx, Rx interchanged when you took that picture.)

Get your support from the site you got the directions.
Even their picture is quite clear about how to hook up the adapter, so follow their directions, get your help from them when you can't follow their directions.

Last edited by knc1; 06-20-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #20
vinix

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
(If you where using our directions, it would be immediately obvious that you had Tx, Rx interchanged when you took that picture.)
So something would appear in the Putty window right away if the connection is correct? Or I have to press or hold the power button of Kindle?
Advert
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So something would appear in the Putty window right away if the connection is correct? Or I have to press or hold the power button of Kindle?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
Old 06-21-2017, 01:02 AM   #22
vinix

I'm little confused about this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant2 View Post
1. Get into the diagnostics boot

Turn on your kindle, and watch the blank putty window you have open.
I've read this guide for cross-reference with the guide I posted earlier, before I asked here. Since It is primarily for jailbreak, not de-brick, so some situation may not match, because the author didn't know about it.

Because my kindle is frozen, I tried press the button or hold it for more than 12 seconds. But no message appeared in Putty window, even if the Power LED blinks 5 times.

Is there a guide specifically for recovering from this "SE Blank MEGREZ" mode?

Last edited by vinix; 06-21-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm little confused about this part:

I've read this guide for cross-reference with the guide I posted earlier, before I asked here. Since It is primarily for jailbreak, not de-brick, so some situation may not match, because the author didn't know about it.

Because my kindle is frozen, I tried press the button or hold it for more than 12 seconds. But no message appeared in Putty window, even if the Power LED blinks 5 times.

Is there a guide specifically for recovering from this "SE Blank MEGREZ" mode?
But making the serial port work is identical in either situation.
And making the serial port work is your question.
You have to get the serial port working before you can proceed.

# 13 8 13
Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #24
vinix

Quote:
But making the serial port work is identical in either situation.
And making the serial port work is your question.
You have to get the serial port working before you can proceed.

# 13 8 13
I'm sure that the USB to Serial Converter is working by linking its RX and TX and typing. What I typed is on screen of Putty.

Now I connected the converter to Kindle, hold the power button until LED is blinking, and nothing displayed. I swapped TX and RX pin, still nothing.

So, is there anything I can do?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

You can not wait 4 months between test / attempts to get the serial port working.
Your battery has run down now.
Recharge the Kindle.
Use a wall charger, not a PC to recharge it.
Use a known good USB cord.
The default (what the device will be using) charge rate is extremely slow, so leave on the charger for at least three days.
Keep that in mind if you only intend to post once every 4 months.

Once you get the Kindle fully charged, then check the ground lead.
Make sure that you have nothing other than:
Tx -> Rx
Rx <- Tx
Gnd <> Gnd
connected.
That is only those three leads, in that specific connection.
You can find pictures with labels of the connector pinout pads in our serial port references (they are all the same, since the K4).
Do not wait 4 months to respond.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 AM   #26
vinix

First, sorry for the delay, and appreciated your reply.

The battery was removed from Kindle for charging using a universal battery charger and stored in a anti-static bag since then. Before I began this time, I've tested the battery with multimeter and got 3.9v so I believed it is still full.

I'm sure I connected all 3 pins you said and no message displayed in Putty. So I swapped Tx and Rx, still no luck.

Thanks for pointing out the possible problem. I will recharge the battery and try again.

Last edited by vinix; 10-20-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

The battery, when fully charged, has a terminal voltage of 4.2 volts (assuming your multi-meter is correct).
Just because you don't like my answer does not conclusively mean that I am wrong.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #28
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Try spamming enter

I do not know if the serial port outputs by default, so when you reboot spam the enter key in your terminal window. Check that your usb to serial converter is the right voltage, the kindle does not have the voltage of rs232, dont know what you use.
Baud rate is 115200
No flow control.
Just checking, you sure you have the right pins on the motherboard?

Good Luck.

Last edited by theol0403; 10-23-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Fixed baud rate
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by theol0403 View Post
I do not know if the serial port outputs by default, so when you reboot spam the enter key in your terminal window. Check that your usb to serial converter is the right voltage, the kindle does not have the voltage of rs232, dont know what you use.
Baud rate is 19200
No flow control.
Just checking, you sure you have the right pins on the motherboard?

Good Luck.
It is active immediately (a few thousand cpu cycles) after power-on.
The SoC on-board rom code uses it.

You should be using a 1.8 volt, low voltage interface level.

The baud rate is not 19200, and never has been.
Use:
115200, 8N1, no flow control
Old 10-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #30
vinix

Quote:
It is active immediately (a few thousand cpu cycles) after power-on.
The SoC on-board rom code uses it.

You should be using a 1.8 volt, low voltage interface level.

The baud rate is not 19200, and never has been.
Use:
115200, 8N1, no flow control
Sorry, I tried charging PW overnight and the voltage is 4v. I connected the converter, disconnected and reconnected the battery and still nothing.

No output in Putty:

The images above is modified so the size is in permitted value.

Last edited by vinix; 10-30-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Add corrected images.