Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #256
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I hadn't heard they were available in North America. Annoyingly enough, they appear to be Kindle exclusives. I hate Kindle exclusives.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #257
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I hadn't heard they were available in North America. Annoyingly enough, they appear to be Kindle exclusives. I hate Kindle exclusives.
Count me in on that (the hating part).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #258
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
They're on B&N too. Probably has something to do with them being published through a traditional literary agent (Spectrum Literary Agency) who probably mainly pays attention to traditional book sources. They've done the same with the Bujold stuff they've put out.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-01-2017 at 11:12 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #259
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Calibre and Apprentice Alf/Harper are your friends in that regard.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #260
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Oh, I know all about the Apprentices. Still annoys me. I hate ebooks that are tied to any particular platform; I should be able to buy ebooks from any retailer, same as I can buy paperbacks from any retailer.

It's interesting that they're available from B&N. Makes me hopeful they'll eventually be available from Kobo and Google Play Books.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #261
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It's interesting that they're available from B&N. Makes me hopeful they'll eventually be available from Kobo and Google Play Books.
Like I said, probably on B&N because it's someone a traditional publishing agency (the one who's publishing them) sees it as a traditional book outlet and they don't see Kobo that way. I doubt anything will change unless they (or authors they rep & publish for) start getting requests. As for Google unless they got setup years ago I don't think Google has been accepting any more self-pub (which this essentially is) for a few years now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #262
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd love to see some of the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Weird Tales anthologies in e-book form. I doubt either will be released as re-licensing the stories is probably a nightmare and the audience for them is likely negligible.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #263
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Count me in on that (the hating part).
Me too. There's a series where I had read a couple of books from the library and bought the rest in epub format, until the most recent book was published only in paper books and Kindle format. At this point I'm waiting to find a cheap paperback copy.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #264
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd love to see some of the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Weird Tales anthologies in e-book form. I doubt either will be released as re-licensing the stories is probably a nightmare and the audience for them is likely negligible.
One series that I would really like to see is Asimov's Black Widowers mystery series. I have a couple of the books in hard back, but the odds of them coming out as ebooks is pretty small. To a great extent, his literary estate points to what is wrong with the copyright system. By the time they come out of copyright and enter the public domain, few will remember most of his books.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #265
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, in either the Lowe-Porter or Woods translation. I'd love to re-read this, but dread hefting the colossal hardcover of the latter or reading the teeny print in my paperback of the former.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #266
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One series that I would really like to see is Asimov's Black Widowers mystery series. I have a couple of the books in hard back, but the odds of them coming out as ebooks is pretty small. To a great extent, his literary estate points to what is wrong with the copyright system. By the time they come out of copyright and enter the public domain, few will remember most of his books.
What's the story with his literary estate? His classics at least are available as e-books. Maybe someone like open Road could pick up the Black Widowers, though I admit those are pretty niche.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #267
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What's the story with his literary estate? His classics at least are available as e-books. Maybe someone like open Road could pick up the Black Widowers, though I admit those are pretty niche.
He was a very prolific writer, so he has a ton of niche books that he wrote. Very few of them are really commercially viable to convert to ebook, but in a situation like Guttenberg, someone would care enough to convert them. To a certain extent, like a lot of the books from the time period, they are a bit dated. For the vast majority of writers and books, by the time they come into public domain, the books and authors are forgotten. The Black Widower stories won't go into public domain until after 2070. Those stories will be long forgotten by that point. If you stop and think about writers who were writing in 1917, there is really only a handful that people remember and read.

To a great extent, the reason works go into public domain is so they can be copied and remembered.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #268
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
He was a very prolific writer, so he has a ton of niche books that he wrote. Very few of them are really commercially viable to convert to ebook, but in a situation like Guttenberg, someone would care enough to convert them. To a certain extent, like a lot of the books from the time period, they are a bit dated. For the vast majority of writers and books, by the time they come into public domain, the books and authors are forgotten. The Black Widower stories won't go into public domain until after 2070. Those stories will be long forgotten by that point. If you stop and think about writers who were writing in 1917, there is really only a handful that people remember and read.

To a great extent, the reason works go into public domain is so they can be copied and remembered.
There's always Open Road Media or some other indie that could reprint them.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #269
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I second this...

I have my own scanned pdf versions, but would love to see in a "real" ebook...they are a bit dated, but still very enjoyable, IMO.

Quote:
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #270
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, in either the Lowe-Porter or Woods translation. I'd love to re-read this, but dread hefting the colossal hardcover of the latter or reading the teeny print in my paperback of the former.
Me too. A few months ago I tried to buy the ebook to discover that I could not.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote