Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Updates to Calibre Kobo driver for Touch

Hi

I have pushed a number of updates to Calibre that will be released later this week.

The changes include:

KTouch: Fix display and delete of Images (file names have changed)
KTouch: Hide Internal Help files
KTouch: Read On and Welcome Guide files reported as missing
KTouch/KWifi: Deleting files corrected to match device operation
KTouch: Add support to manage and display Favourites (ShortList)

Once again, I would like to thank Kobo for their continued support for Calibre's driver development. Without the devices they have provided I would not have been able to make the necessary changes in a timely manner. More importantly, their developers answer my questions on particularly confusing issues.

While I have tested this release with various models and the changes are not great, users who are not comfortable with troubleshooting should hold off until the braver go first ;-).

If you are still using the Wifi or original version there is no real great need for this update unless you are looking for changes in the Calibre core.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks Tim! I'm not especially brave, but...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

I have pushed a number of updates to Calibre that will be released later this week.

The changes include:

KTouch: Fix display and delete of Images (file names have changed)
KTouch: Hide Internal Help files
KTouch: Read On and Welcome Guide files reported as missing
KTouch/KWifi: Deleting files corrected to match device operation
KTouch: Add support to manage and display Favourites (ShortList)

Once again, I would like to thank Kobo for their continued support for Calibre's driver development. Without the devices they have provided I would not have been able to make the necessary changes in a timely manner. More importantly, their developers answer my questions on particularly confusing issues.

While I have tested this release with various models and the changes are not great, users who are not comfortable with troubleshooting should hold off until the braver go first ;-).

If you are still using the Wifi or original version there is no real great need for this update unless you are looking for changes in the Calibre core.

Tim
I noticed that Calibre had said things were missing. I assumed it was due to the dif way of doing things and since they were not actually missing I was not concerned.
But it is rewarding to see that those changes are coming to the front and fast.

Does that mean we will be able to use Calibre to add to the shortlist or favourites list on the KOBO Touch?

Thank you for your hardwork

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I noticed that Calibre had said things were missing. I assumed it was due to the dif way of doing things and since they were not actually missing I was not concerned.
But it is rewarding to see that those changes are coming to the front and fast.
Yeah, they were just using a different format for the id of those books.

Quote:
Does that mean we will be able to use Calibre to add to the shortlist or favourites list on the KOBO Touch?

Jack
Yes, Currently you can manage the ShortList/Favourites, Im_Reading, Closed, Finished. I hope that a future firmware version will add full support for Shelves like on the mobile devices.

Tim
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, they were just using a different format for the id of those books.

Yes, Currently you can manage the ShortList/Favourites, Im_Reading, Closed, Finished. I hope that a future firmware version will add full support for Shelves like on the mobile devices.

Tim
Those are the exact things that the KDS needs. If the KDS were to manage lists sorts and database that could be ported to the ereader your job would be so much better. Because if the framework were there Calibre would have more to work with. Pluse those tasks being freed from the ereader woule aleviate some of the bogdown and speed the device up.

Keep up the good work!

regards

jack
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard

Hey Tim, just tried to access the calibre server via wifi, as PeterT pointed out. It works and i can see the entire collection woot.... but

The first book i transferd went over good cover and all (the same books would not transfer covers via sideload) The second and third books went over and no covers displayed just a grey blob.... Is this lack of covers moving something that you have fixed? I am unsure why they dont go ? I am currently downloading the books i want to stanza to see if the covers go. Ok just finished the transfer and yes the covers go. The 11 books I want to transfer over to my KOBO TOUCH have the covers in Stanza... So I am hoping if you can tell me if that is a fix you have implemented?

and sorry if i repeat my self

regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe you will find that at this point, the transfer of a book from the Calibre server to the Touch is purely that of transferring the ePub file AS IS. Try adding the ePub in question to ADE and see what IT shows as a cover.

Note you have to explicitly do a LIBRARY | ADD ITEM TO LIBRARY in ADE; just opening an ePub will NOT add it to the ADE bookshelves.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Hey Tim, just tried to access the calibre server via wifi, as PeterT pointed out. It works and i can see the entire collection woot.... but

The first book i transferd went over good cover and all (the same books would not transfer covers via sideload) The second and third books went over and no covers displayed just a grey blob.... Is this lack of covers moving something that you have fixed? I am unsure why they dont go ? I am currently downloading the books i want to stanza to see if the covers go. Ok just finished the transfer and yes the covers go. The 11 books I want to transfer over to my KOBO TOUCH have the covers in Stanza... So I am hoping if you can tell me if that is a fix you have implemented?

and sorry if i repeat my self

regards

jack
I have not looked at wifi access to the Calibre Library but I will this weekend. I will see if I can reproduce the issue. Also, try powering off and powering on. It bay be that the content is not fully processed (just a shot in the dark).

Tim
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I have not looked at wifi access to the Calibre Library but I will this weekend. I will see if I can reproduce the issue. Also, try powering off and powering on. It bay be that the content is not fully processed (just a shot in the dark).

Tim
I cant recall if i did power off or not..

But I will try.

PeterT I will try your ADE suggestions as well

thanks

regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Well i see the added features are there. But still no covers. if i open the books from the device via calibre it does display the cover... so they are definately there.

so yeah on the ADE end of things all the covers are there.. not sure why kobo shows it sometimes and not all the time.. could it be cover size issues?
would that be an avenue to investigate?

regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

possible bug

Ok I added some books from calibre to my Touch.. Covers did not go still actually thats not ture one cover goes. but its random... at any rate decided to on device delete them. Deleted from the touch and 5 mins later the touch was processing content.. imagine my suprize when i see the books i just deleted there again.

did not do this before the update to calibre.

regards

jack
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Tim I noticed the Books im loading via calibre are saying expired. Not sure what this means But i am delting books as we speak.

Can you advise?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

So just as a follow up. I finally got the covers to go over for the 11 books I was fighting with. I am not sure what caused the problem and I did use Calibre to do it. Essentially I xploded the epubs in question. I then Deleted the covers from within. Redownloaded the covers. Reconverted the ebooks and transfered them over. Why it was not happening properly I can not say. Prehaps when i rebuilt the epubs I removed some corruption in them. Not sure and not sure what was different to make it work.
But my best to the Calibre team for such an awsome piece of software.. Kobo Dudes take some notes you need some of these features for the KDS.

regards

jack
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
jackastor
Wizard

Tim, I am noticing the word expired in the collection collum on my sd card for some items.
Can you expand on what expired means? Using a kobo touch

regards

jack
Old 06-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Well i see the added features are there. But still no covers. if i open the books from the device via calibre it does display the cover... so they are definately there.

so yeah on the ADE end of things all the covers are there.. not sure why kobo shows it sometimes and not all the time.. could it be cover size issues?
would that be an avenue to investigate?

regards

jack
I am making good progress on uploading covers and it should be in the next release.

Tim