Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #31
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
An old-time comic called Max Miller was banned for years by the BBC. The story is disputed, but apparently he told an unscripted joke on the radio about going up a mountain path which was very narrow, a sheer cliff on one side and a vertiginous drop on the other. As he's going up, a beautiful blonde girl comes round the corner going down. Max told the audience he was in a quandary, he didn't know whether to toss himself off or block her passage.
He got a five year ban for that one!
In 1937, May West was on The Chase and Sanborn Hour. The not so subtle innuendo between May West and Charlie McCarthy got pretty hot. A later appearance on the same show with Don Ameche was even worse. Both shows contributed to May West being banned from radio for many years.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
The Internet Archive (archive.org) was mentioned as a source of OTR. There is quite a bit of OTR there for download, some good and some not. If you want the best quality, most complete collections of a particular show, look on archive.org for the distributions by OTRR (Old Time Radio Researchers). OTRR will have a distribution listed two ways - a CD image (ISO) and individual MP3 files for download.
That's a superb resource - thank you for the recommendation! I foresee many hours of happy listening ahead of me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a superb resource - thank you for the recommendation! I foresee many hours of happy listening ahead of me!
Keep the fire extinguisher handy in case your internet connection overheats

OTRR puts out some very good distributions. I have been a member for several years. OTRR still mails out the CD or DVD distributions to members first. Later, the same material is uploaded to archive.org for everyone to enjoy. BTW, on the OTRR distributions, you will see a version number. If more missing episodes are found, or better source material, an entire distribution is reissued with a newer version number.

When I first started seriously collecting OTR, I got everything via mailed CDs. Now that high speed internet is common, you can get almost instant gratification
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote