Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile Looking for an easy to root android reader w/ sd slot that can read pdfs well.

Here is what I want from an e-ink ebook reader (in descending order of importance):

1. SD card slot
2. ability to read large pdf documents very well
3. very affordable (I don't mind a used even slightly old device at all as long as it has enough power to read large pdfs)
4. android operating system with very good root support and/or community (eg. easy rooting, ability to remove bloatware, customize and get the most out of a device)
5. this isn't very important at all, but a frontlight that does not lower melatonin (eg. does not have light in the blue color spectrum)

If #5 isn't there, it's not important at all, I'll just use my amber book light instead.

The first 4 things are pretty important to me. If anyone know of an ebook reader like this, please let me know.

I know I can get all this from an android tablet, but I definitely don't want a backlit tablet blasting my eyes with blue light for reading long books on. (for those of you that don't know, blue light lowers brain melatonin and makes sleep not as restorative and deep)

Thank you so very much in advance.

Last edited by ALinkToTao; 10-18-2017 at 07:45 PM.
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I reccommend an onyx. The oreader sotware handles pdfs very well in landscape. If you can get bigger than 6" it would be best. I have a t68. The touch screen is not sensitive enough and the light is a blinding blue. Get a later model.

The Nook ST has the best rooting support and is cheap in USA.You will need the right software for pdf and must read in landscape.

Another option is koreader on a kobo but it is not android.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 10-18-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for your reply.

I will do some research on them. I saw the nook simple touch as being easy to root also. I was just wondering if there were others out there like that. Thanks so much for your input.
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote