Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about 11/23/63 by Stephen King.
I've heard many good things about this one, but didn't know it had a time travel element. Thanks!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about 11/23/63 by Stephen King.
A good book but an odd one from this point of view.
Spoiler:
It's true that it involves time travel and there's a fair amount of the mechanics of what happens and the consequences, whether and how one can change the future etc. However there's long stretches where the MC is merely living in the 60s and it could be a novel just set in that period.

Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it though.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I would recommend Time and Again by Jack Finney, but I don't think it's available as an ebook?? Doh! Anyway, it is a charming book.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
If you are looking for time travel books in general, I suggest Replay. I think the author is Ken Grimwood. In Replay, the protagonist dies after completing his normal life span, then wakes up in the past, in a younger version of himself but with full memory of everything that has happened.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
If you are looking for time travel books in general, I suggest Replay. I think the author is Ken Grimwood. In Replay, the protagonist dies after completing his normal life span, then wakes up in the past, in a younger version of himself but with full memory of everything that has happened.
A wonderful book.

I would also recommend Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (which was recommended to me by poohbear_nc).

Quote:
What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath.

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale.

What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to?

Life After Life follows Ursula Todd as she lives through the turbulent events of the last century again and again. With wit and compassion, Kate Atkinson finds warmth even in life's bleakest moments, and shows an extraordinary ability to evoke the past. Here she is at her most profound and inventive, in a novel that celebrates the best and worst of ourselves.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I have started Revise the World by Brenda Clough yesterday and I am enjoying it tremendously. It's about a member of a 1912 polar expedition who gets rescued by time travelers coming from 2045. They take him to the future and he has to adapt to everything that has changed - and we all know there's a lot of it.

I also second the recommendations for Connie Willis's Oxford time travel books and for Replay by Ken Grimwood.

Other time travel books I have enjoyed:

Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt, The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers and Kage Baker's Company series about time traveling cyborgs who rescue artifacts from the past. It starts with In the Garden of Iden. The whole series is now available in ebook format, and DRM free since Tor is the publisher.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson is available as an ebook at Amazon. City at Worlds End by Edmund Hamilton does have some time travel elements to it as well. It's available for free from Manybooks.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I was going to recommend this book, I found it an excellent read. I've heard they were going to turn it into a movie, but I heard about that before I listened to "The Time Traveller's Wife" (audiobook version).

Some other good time traveling books/movies to mention:

- "The Man Who Folded Himself" by David Gerrold: An excellent book that deals and many of the issues concerning time travel, such as time paradoxes. For me, its the book that I measure other time traveler stories against.

- "Time After Time" directed by Nicholas Meyer: The movie he directed before "Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan." An excellent movie (the novel is very good too).

- "DNA2" (DNA Squared): An anime about a time traveler from the future who is sent to our present to prevent the existence of The Mega Playboy, a man whose existence leads to a massive overpopulation problem in her time.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The author has just given the go ahead for an eBook edition of The Time Traveler's Wife.
Quote:
Despite urging from her publishers, Niffenegger has withheld ebook rights to the novel since its publication in 2003. But she is now throwing her weight behind a new independent ebook website, Zola Books, through which she is planning to sell the novel later this year.

The author is also writing a 30-page sequel to the seven-million-copy bestseller for the site. It will focus on the life of Alba, the time-travelling daughter Henry, who was conceived with Claire during one of his visits to her life.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...ers-wife-ebook
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The author has just given the go ahead for an eBook edition of The Time Traveler's Wife.
Great news! Although I did manage to borrow it from the library as an audiobook I would classify it mainly as a love story with only a small element of science fiction. Good for those that aren't into heavy sci-fi, but I am surprised it made NPR's Top 100 SF&F list.

I am also thoroughly enjoying the Blackout/All Clear audiobooks as recommended by DrNefario and LOVED Say Nothing of the Dog. So thanks for that rec!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I checked her FAQ

Why can’t I find e-book versions of your books?
The e-version of Her Fearful Symmetry is available wherever fine e-books are sold. The Time Traveler’s Wife e-book is coming soon (September, 2013) in the US, and slightly less soon in the UK and the rest of the world. It will be sold exclusively at Zola Books.

So September of 2013
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For anyone looking for the eBook, it's now out at Zola books and according to this interview at Dear Author it's DRM free (ePub and/or Mobi).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I didn't really like The Time Traveler's Wife, but maybe I'm alone in that. I did like Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which I saw someone mention upthread.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote