Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
mrslecavalier
mrslecavalier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Cropping .pdfs with Briss and converting with Calibre

I've been using the awesome .pdf cropping Briss, and so far I've had no trouble with it, but when I try to convert a .pdf to a .mobi with Calibre, I still end up with the dreaded headers and footers that were cropped out, but if I select all on the .pdf and copy/paste it into a document, the headers and footers don't show up.

Am I trying to use Briss for the wrong thing? Where am I messing up?
mrslecavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
To be able to convert pdf files in mobi format, I have taken the following steps:
1. convert pdf file into word document ( I've used Nuance PDF converter)
2. save word document as rtf file
3. convert rtf to mobi format using calibre
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Hey guys,

I just signed up for these forums because I bought a Kindle GDX. This thread has brought the program BRISS to my attention, but unfortunately even after downloading, I just can't figure out how to run it...I guess I am more of a computer newb than I thought I was. I know BRISS runs on the java platform, and I installed java, but when I try to run the command in the command terminal it just tell me it can't find the jar file. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
mrslecavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiyo View Post
Hey guys,

I just signed up for these forums because I bought a Kindle GDX. This thread has brought the program BRISS to my attention, but unfortunately even after downloading, I just can't figure out how to run it...I guess I am more of a computer newb than I thought I was. I know BRISS runs on the java platform, and I installed java, but when I try to run the command in the command terminal it just tell me it can't find the jar file. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread.
You shouldn't have to run something from a command terminal, you should just be able to run the program.

I'm only suggesting this because goofy me had this problem, but you should be running the file that's named "briss-0.0.x"? You can't run one of the other files in there (I KNOW, stupid suggestion... I'm a dummy....)

If you got the correct download, you should have just been able to extract a whole file named "briss-0.0.x" that had all of the neccessary files. I think this folder has to stay intact for it to work...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I can't seem to find that file myself...there's nothing that looks like an executable that I can just click and run...just a bunch of .class files and such.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
mrslecavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlad View Post
To be able to convert pdf files in mobi format, I have taken the following steps:
1. convert pdf file into word document ( I've used Nuance PDF converter)
2. save word document as rtf file
3. convert rtf to mobi format using calibre
But will that address the problem with a header and a footer interrupting the words? I haven't had a problem converting it, just getting rid of the irritating page numbers...

Thanks for the reply, though.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
mrslecavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiyo View Post
I can't seem to find that file myself...there's nothing that looks like an executable that I can just click and run...just a bunch of .class files and such.
This is the link that the developer provided for the latest version. http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

Are you running on a Mac? I don't know if it's supported for that. (Possibly another dumb question...) If downloading from that link doesn't work, the developer for BRISS is pretty helpful. He had started this thread for the program and suggestions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83055

I'm sure he would help you. I'll try helping, I'm just extremely limited in my knowledge this stuff.

EDIT: nevermind, it does work on a Mac...

Last edited by mrslecavalier; 07-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Tags
briss, calibre, cropping pdf