Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #271
Hal_9k
Hal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, have been looking for something like this for a long time. Thanks.
Hal_9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #272
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Briss on Linux (LMDE 64 bits)

I wonder how I could do so long without it. Very efficient. Thanks very much.

I used it for several PDF images books from Gallica (each one is over 300 pages, 7 to 10 megs, 300 dpi on average). Works perfectly. The resulting "cropped" pdf is converted to images by pdfimages in usually about ten seconds. Wonderful tools to begin an OCR job!!

1. - I have even the feeling that Briss corrects the inclination? The results on slightly slanted text zones seems somewhat better when I use Briss. Am I wrong?

2. - If i wish to explain neatly what Briss is doing and how it works, which up-to-date documentation would you recommend?

Last edited by roger64; 06-26-2012 at 06:33 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #273
quickfold
quickfold began at the beginning.

Device: none
feature suggestions

I love Briss! I'm an academic and I honestly use it almost every day. Given my heavy use, I have a number of feature requests that I think would really improve the program:

1. Make the default to NOT exclude any pages rather than popping up every time. You can make it an option and just re-load afterwards. I can never remember whether I need to exclude pages, I need to see the file first, so I always have to load and re-check it in Acrobat.

2. One way to do this would be to automatically preview the first 4 or 6 pages so I can see the beginning to see if I need to exclude those; which is what I want to exclude 95% of the time that I exclude anything.

3. It probably seems obvious to you but it is not obvious to beginning users how to add a 2nd rectangle. There should be a toolbar button or at least a right-click context option. At first, I was trying to copy and paste the first triangle, but copy/paste is buggy and hard to understand.

4. Why does clicking on a rectangle not just toggle select/unselect? It seems to be the obvious best solution. The current process is frustrating.

5. You should have a 'select all' and 'deselect all' option on the toolbar or right-click menu.

6. I find it frustrating that I cannot select outside all of the pages and move the page around using a grab tool. My mouse wheel doesn't work either; I have to use the window toolbars.

7. I want an 'align' button to align selected rectangles vertically/horizontally within and across pages.

8. I would like a way to select multiple rectangles and have all of them mimic size and location changes I make to one of them, in real time, such as making a rectangle larger with the pull tool.

9. I would like a way to increase/decrease the rectangle size in small increments with the keyboard.

10. It would be good to have a way to preview the pages unmerged and then select/deselect the pages you want to merge before cropping.

11. A more difficult-to-implement request but it would be super-useful. You may work mostly with recent articles with perfect layouts. I often need Briss to fix old books scanned from photocopies that don't always align well. It is very difficult with a long document, such as a book, to identify the page(s) that are not aligned properly. If I have a 200 pg. book and in the merged preview I need to find out what page is causing a problem, I have to open in Acrobat and search through. When I find it, I have to exclude the page by hand, save, open in Briss, etc. you get the idea. And I don't always guess correctly. It would be very helpful to figure out a way to make this process easier. One way would be to have a 'show single page' checkbox with forward/back arrows next to the merged preview, and a box showing which page is being previewed. When you come to a page that doesn't align, allow the user to mark it or allow the user to re-position the box on that one page only right then and there.

Thanks for considering these changes! You have saved me many dozens of hours of painful copy-paste work in Acrobat!
quickfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #274
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfold View Post
11. A more difficult-to-implement request but it would be super-useful. You may work mostly with recent articles with perfect layouts. I often need Briss to fix old books scanned from photocopies that don't always align well. It is very difficult with a long document, such as a book, to identify the page(s) that are not aligned properly. If I have a 200 pg. book and in the merged preview I need to find out what page is causing a problem, I have to open in Acrobat and search through. When I find it, I have to exclude the page by hand, save, open in Briss, etc. you get the idea. And I don't always guess correctly. It would be very helpful to figure out a way to make this process easier. One way would be to have a 'show single page' checkbox with forward/back arrows next to the merged preview, and a box showing which page is being previewed. When you come to a page that doesn't align, allow the user to mark it or allow the user to re-position the box on that one page only right then and there.

Thanks for considering these changes! You have saved me many dozens of hours of painful copy-paste work in Acrobat!
PDF Scissors can do this:

"It is impressive - first it scans all pages and overlays them graphically on top of each other - that way you can easily find optimal cropping size. You can preview your cropping by going through each page and adjust.

It's a java App, probably runs on all platforms. Brilliant for quick croppings!"
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #275
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Wow that is a lot of input to digest. I guess I'll tackle some of the things you mentioned.

to quickly answer roger64:
* No inclination correction (would be cool though)
* I'm sorry but there is not documentation. It was always meant to be so easy that no docu would be necessary, but alas, I think i should rework the userinterface (maybe using javafx)).

best regards and thx
Gerhard
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #276
indrek
indrek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony WiFI
briss-sakin

I've written a mod for your software that implements column auto-detection (for two-column documents) and large block splitting with automatic rotation. Also a way to set resulting PDF's title. The changes currently work as command line parameters and so in batch mode only.

Argument "-t title" sets the resulting PDF's title property.
Argument "-2" enables automatic two-column detection and splitup.
Argument "-r" enables automatic wide block rotation.
Argument "-b ratio" enables the splitting of too large blocks.

So one would use this as:

java -jar briss-0.9.jar -2 -r -b 1.333 -s dogeatdog.pdf -d dogcrop.pdf

The modified briss can be accessed from:
http://www.mare.ee/indrek/tmp/briss-0.9-sakin-1.zip

The source code diff is within the archive. Hadn't written any Java in 10 years, so is a bit choppy.
indrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #277
nwbdan
nwbdan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
First of all I would like to start by expressing my gratitude towards the creator of this little gem and all who have helped him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micione20 View Post
Done and here procedure:

-download a little executable (sysexporter)
-http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm
-obtain a txt with all *.pdf in a root folder
with excel create a list with all command (one per file: java -jar briss-0.0.13.jar -s "C:\Documents and Settings\etc etc etc \etc etc etc.pdf")

done

I'm sorry, I desperately want to do this, but I'm afraid I'm not very well versed in excel. Could someone please explain how I can do this in Win 7 x64?

Thank you,
nwbdan
nwbdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #278
RyanKelly55
RyanKelly55 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, when I use Calibre to covert my ebook into PDF the Adobe reader really makes a mess out of it. Ibooks; kindle; barnes and noble all good. But the PDF, for whatever reason, is one quote per page. Help?
RyanKelly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #279
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
PDF Scissors can do this:

"It is impressive - first it scans all pages and overlays them graphically on top of each other - that way you can easily find optimal cropping size. You can preview your cropping by going through each page and adjust.

It's a java App, probably runs on all platforms. Brilliant for quick croppings!"
There is also nice free online pdf croping service for pdf's under 10 MB that I use for cropping of ocr-ed pdf image, because results with non-ocred pdf scans were not that great and to crop pure textual pdf is trivial anyway.

You should split your pdf if it is too big and then upload those parts.

http://stripdf.com/

Last edited by markom; 09-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #280
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfold View Post

I frequently come across this same problem of sticking out of some pages.
If I'm to include them in cutting then there will be to much empty space (wide margins) for majority of pages i.e pages will not be cropped at exactly the text width with zero margins.

The way i deal with it is like this.

In cropped pdf I would find out those miscut pages by quickly scrolling down through cropped pdf, write their page numbers down and then extract them all from original (uncropped) pdf, by some pdf editor or tool.

I will then put them all together in new pdf or leave some as separate pages and process them again in Briss or Scan Tailor, Pdf Scissors, Stripdf online service etc. for zero or close to zero margins.

After that I would open main cropped pdf in some pdf editor like Foxit or some pdf tools (for merging pdf's) and would quickly get to those (already numbered) miscut pages, delete them and import new correctly cropped pages respectively (takes just about 5-6 seconds per miscut page with practice).

I would also rather use Scan Tailor or even Abbyy Finereader for cropping if I reckon that Briss or Pdf Scissors would not be precise enough in the first place, because with Scan Tailor we can crop an average book in 20 minutes with rectangle boxes less than one millimeter around the text automatically placed.

It would be great if Briss or Pdf Scissors would also offer that great feature of automatic drawing of rectangle boxes around the pdf text like Scan Tailor does on raw images.

Maybe that would be somewhat easier to implement, at least, for those pdf's that already have OCR layer beneath, by somehow using position/coordinates of that text layer for cutting the front pdf image itself.

Last edited by markom; 09-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #281
nslhn
nslhn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,

I downloaded briss-0.9. I tried to run it on terminal but I keep getting error message saying ''Could not create the Java virtual machine''. I have MacOs X Version 10.7.5. I have the latest Java 7. I can't find out what the problem is. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
nslhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #282
waconga
waconga began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
First of all I want to say I love this program but I have a question:

I am using this for lecture notes that have 3 slides organized vertically in one page. So I am using it to separate them into 3 different pages each. Right now this is working fine however the algorithm automatically separates out even and odd pages, which means I have to make the three crop boxes twice. For my purposes this is useless because the even and odd pages are the same.

I was wondering if it possible to turn off auto splitting to even and odd pages and instead merge all the pages together. That way I would only have to do the crops once.

Thank you.
waconga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #283
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by waconga View Post
I was wondering if it possible to turn off auto splitting to even and odd pages and instead merge all the pages together. That way I would only have to do the crops once.
I'm not aware that you can do this but what you could try, let's say, is
- delete the default rectangle on the 'even pages'
- set up the 3 crop rectangles as you want them on the 'odd pages'
- select all 3 (Ctrl left-click) 'odd' rectangles and copy-paste them, all at once, to the 'even pages'.

This should save you some effort.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #284
waconga
waconga began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not aware that you can do this but what you could try, let's say, is
- delete the default rectangle on the 'even pages'
- set up the 3 crop rectangles as you want them on the 'odd pages'
- select all 3 (Ctrl left-click) 'odd' rectangles and copy-paste them, all at once, to the 'even pages'.

This should save you some effort.
That worked quite nicely, thank you!
waconga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #285
e000
e000 began at the beginning.

Thanks so much for the great software! Is there a way to permanently increase the memory allocation for Briss so that I can frequently use it on large PDF files? I'm having trouble launching it from terminal with the additional parameters you explain in the README (I get the error "Unable to access jarfile briss-0.9.jar"). I don't use terminal much, so I can't address this problem myself, but I would be happy to follow any explicit instructions. Thanks!
e000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf