Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #196
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thx for the very nice appreciation jackie_w! ;-)

Nudging can be provided. Zooming is rather difficult, but at the moment I work a lot on creating a better suited merging algorithm (not just the simple averaging of pages) which will allow an easier visual recognition of the areas where text and therefore information is located.

btw. automatic cropping and command line function is already implemented in my development, so stay tuned for 0.0.13!

greetings,
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #197
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Congratulations laborg! Briss is featured on Lifehacker blog! Many congratulations.

http://lifehacker.com/5744899/briss-...-your-e+reader
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #198
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I have been searching for something like this for a long time. Can't wait to get home and try it out. And the name is awesome.

EDIT - Tried it at home. Worked perfectly!

Last edited by Tuba; 02-07-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Tuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #199
sunwillsetforyou
sunwillsetforyou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Asus Eee Note Ea-800
I have little confusing in this converting PDF to PDF

Firstly, I tried to crop my scan textbook, so it works but I mention that someone says it's not work when convert to ePub or mobi. It's not "hard" chopping

So, finally after converted you have to put it directly to your eReader?

Please make me clear this, sorry for very poor english

Phil
sunwillsetforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #200
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwillsetforyou View Post
I have little confusing in this converting PDF to PDF

Firstly, I tried to crop my scan textbook, so it works but I mention that someone says it's not work when convert to ePub or mobi. It's not "hard" chopping

So, finally after converted you have to put it directly to your eReader?
The idea is that Briss can crop and chop the original PDF to create a PDF which will be easier to read on your ereader as a PDF, i.e. don't convert it to epub, mobi.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #201
sunwillsetforyou
sunwillsetforyou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Asus Eee Note Ea-800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The idea is that Briss can crop and chop the original PDF to create a PDF which will be easier to read on your ereader as a PDF, i.e. don't convert it to epub, mobi.
Thanks, but not all PDF will works right?
It seems some PDF only cut the white space, image is still not speard
sunwillsetforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #202
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I see, I haven't tried it on scanned PDFs so I'm not sure what happens with them.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #203
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Feature suggestion:

Save and open templates.

It would be useful when there are series of papers formatted in the same way, which means they can be cropped in the same way.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #204
JimmyMcV
JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyMcV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I’m trying to use Briss to crop out the margins out of screenplays, but I can’t for the life of me get it to crop both even and odd pages.

Here's a link to a sample screenplay:
http://www.raindance.org/site/scripts/127_Hours.pdf

1) I load the document in Briss.
What appears are 2 pages- I think the first are odd number pages, and the second are the evens.

2) I draw a rectangle around the 1st page. A “1″ appears on the shading.

3) But when I draw a rectangle around the 2nd page, another “1″ appears. How do I get it to change to “2″? I draw a second rectangle. It creates a 2, but the original “1″ is still there and I can’t erase it without erasing the “2″ first. How do I erase the “1″ on the second page?

Or, how do I get a “2″ label on on my even page number crop but not “1″?
Does this make sense?

So far, I can get Briss to crop odd pages...or I can get it to crop both even and odd pages, but it duplicates both...so every page is duplicated.

What am I doing wrong?
JimmyMcV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #205
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I could be wrong but I think the "big 1s and 2s" signify how many crop boxes you have specified for that set of pages. So a simple whitespace crop will display 1 for the odds pages and 1 for the evens pages.

If you wanted to split each odd page into a top-half and a bottom-half then you would see a box 1 and a box 2 on the odds pages. It would be similar if you had a two-column PDF. You would draw two boxes for each page and they would be labelled 1 and 2. And a 3-column PDF you would draw 3 boxes and they would be labbeled 1, 2 and 3.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #206
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
For that document, I don't see any reason to use BRISS; why not use a method that will auto-calculate the crop region for you, so you don't need to manually draw it? You could either use sopdf or a combination of Calibre and Ghostscript. See here.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #207
DrSnuggles
DrSnuggles began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've a feature request, could you include an object removal tool?
Sometimes in a pdf there are annoing layers. It's possible to remove them by hand with acrobat on every page, but graphical "batch" remove with BRISS would be perfect.
DrSnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #208
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

@drsnuggles
mhm... I'll give it a try, but although it looks like a small change it could be a lot of work...

best regards
Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #209
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a BRISS page on our wiki. Perhaps someone could expand it into a operation manual by adding a section or two.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #210
laborg
Zealot

Dear all,

Briss 0.0.13 has been released! (Oh god, with this counting I'll hit 1.0 in thousands years...)

From the Changelog:
* Added automatically crop rectangle calculation
* Updated libraries (itext, jpedal) fixing several problems
* JP2000 support, finally!
* Added hotcorners(upper left and lower right) to resize existing crop rectangles
* Providing a single file as argument now directly loads it on startup of Briss (can be handy if you have a shortcut defined like "open with")
* Command line cropping (at the moment just with automatic crop algorithm, see Readme for instructions)
* Better visualization of merged images
* Added possibility to reload pdfs for using other excluded pages while retaining crop rectangles
* Added drag&drop functionality
* Automatically clipping of crop rectangles to visible area
* Copy/paste of crop rectangles between clusters
* Hopefully fixed bug where on Mac the crop rectangles couldn't be deleted

It is available from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/files/

Have fun and contact me if you've got problems,
Laborg

Last edited by laborg; 04-12-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: sourceforge reacts quickly to bug reports!

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf