Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
hashken
hashken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen
Using RSS feeds for The Hindu - Legal doubts

I want to rewrite the recipe for "The Hindu" so that it will use RSS feeds from their site. But the following T&C are in their RSS feeds page

Quote:
Kasturi & Sons Limited [Proprietor of "The Hindu"] [hereinafter called "The Hindu"] provides RSS contents and updates/feeds for free. The Hindu grants You permission to only access and use the RSS contents or feeds for personal use or research. You agree not to, directly or indirectly, download, modify, alter, change, amend, vary, adapt, transform, revise, translate, copy, misuse, distribute, publish or otherwise disseminate these RSS contents or feeds, or any portion of thereof except with the prior written consent of The Hindu.

You should not engage in any profitable or non-profitable use of the RSS contents and/or feeds.

You must not retain any copies of these pages saved/stored to disk or to any other storage medium except for the purposes of using the same for your personal use or research.
Even if we create a recipe using these feeds, we are not exactly doing anything legal, as we are not distributing any content from "The Hindu". The content will be anyway downloaded by the respective users themselves. We are just making it easier for the users to access this content for their own personal use.

But, this is only my opinion. If the others also agree, I will rewrite the recipe to make use of these RSS feeds.
hashken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Apparently it is against the ToS to save the webpage to disk, though. I wonder if they are aware that merely browsing to their website puts you in violation of the ToS, due to the wonders of browser caching.

Although I guess paragraph 3 essentially nullifies every claim they made in paragraphs 1&2.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
hashken
hashken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen
Yeah, but they do say that any of these can still be done for personal use
hashken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, rss, the hindu