Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What happened to girlebooks.com?

Girlebooks was live as recently as August when I linked to it during book club nominations, but it's clearly defunct now and I haven't been able to find out what happened, although the inference is obvious.

It seems a shame. For those who didn't know it, it was a very well curated and presented library of books mostly by women authors, in a combination of public domain and books for sale. Where it really shone, in my opinion, was with lesser-known public domain gems, but that doesn't pay the bills.

Another one bites the dust and it's not surprising, but I wondered if anyone here had the scoop on its demise.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The last snapshot of the site by Internet Archive's "Wayback Machine" is July 13th.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you sure it is defunct? I get the message "Error establishing a database connection", which could simply mean a temporary glitch.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure it is defunct? I get the message "Error establishing a database connection", which could simply mean a temporary glitch.
It's been like that for a couple of weeks at least; originally I was hopeful.

MR member khalleron listed her books there; presumably she knows what's happened and if she sees this, might respond.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's been like that for a couple of weeks at least; originally I was hopeful.
Hmmm. That is a bad sign, I agree.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The "Contact" page on the archive page lists "info at girlebooks dot com" as an email address. Might be worth dropping them a line.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
No, I don't know what happened, Laura and I have had little contact since I decided to list my books for free. She wasn't making enough money from the publishing side to justify the bookkeeping (I myself made a total of $12, so I can see her point).

She blogged awhile back that the site would no longer be updated - her RL had just become too busy with other things. I'm guessing she let the domain registration lag or something of that sort since it was no longer a source of income.

I'm using Draft2Digital to get my books on other sites, but no longer for free.

Guess I better change my signature line.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
No, I don't know what happened, Laura and I have had little contact since I decided to list my books for free. She wasn't making enough money from the publishing side to justify the bookkeeping (I myself made a total of $12, so I can see her point).

She blogged awhile back that the site would no longer be updated - her RL had just become too busy with other things. I'm guessing she let the domain registration lag or something of that sort since it was no longer a source of income.

I'm using Draft2Digital to get my books on other sites, but no longer for free.

Guess I better change my signature line.
Thanks for the intel, Kate. It's too bad; girlebooks was my favorite boutique ebook site.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
This is a shame, I loved the descriptive blurbs of the public domain books and the different ways they could be organised.

I'm sure they could have raised money through carrying advertising on the site, or asking for donations. How does Project Gutenberg keep going? Or MR, for that matter?

Some news pages that I read detect that I have an adblocker (mainly for youtube) and demand that I disable it in order to read them. It's permanently disabled for those pages. Some other sites do the same. Girliebooks could have done this in order to attract advertising.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. Oh well, there's still the less-pretty MR library ... for now!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Girlebooks seems to be active again.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Oh, good!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
This is brilliant news!!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote