Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
melabonbon
melabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I think that is a big part of your problem. If it crashed in the middle of processing new books, it means (a) there's at least one 'bad' book in there that Kobo isn't happy with and (b) the processing wasn't completed, and not all books on your device will have been properly added to the database. This could cause blank pages and such things.

If I were you I'd do another factory reset, but this time, only load one book at a time. It might be very time consuming, but at least you can confirm that each book is accepted by the Kobo, until you come across one that isn't.
So, if I am understanding correctly:
1. Factory reset
2. Hook device up to computer, wait for Windows to recognize it
3. Transfer 1 book to device
4. Eject from computer, allow device to update
5. Attempt to open book on device
6. If book opens correctly, attach device to computer again
7. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for all books.

All of the books on the device are the same ones that were on it previously, when it was working correctly.
melabonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by melabonbon View Post
So, if I am understanding correctly:
1. Factory reset
2. Hook device up to computer, wait for Windows to recognize it
3. Transfer 1 book to device
4. Eject from computer, allow device to update
5. Attempt to open book on device
6. If book opens correctly, attach device to computer again
7. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for all books.
That is indeed what I meant.

Quote:
All of the books on the device are the same ones that were on it previously, when it was working correctly.
Ah, in that case... what file types are they? Does any of this ring any bells? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200750

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-25-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Melabonbon,

parts of your descriptions remind me of a problem I had myself with the Kobo Touch two weeks ago. Fortunately, it returned to normal by itself the next day (cf. link).

Edit: Please ignore the following. I overlooked the previous two posts.
Did you try as Mrs_Often recommanded? Might be a little tiresome indeed. If the culprit is really one of the books, it should be one of those you put on the device later than during the first month or so, since the problem started later, right? So concentrating on those books that you put only recenty on the device might help you in finding the culprit quicker. From your posts it is not clear to me whether all your DRM books give the ADE error or only some. If it is only some, maybe you can recognize a pattern. I hope you get the device finally working.

Last edited by tshering; 01-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
melabonbon
melabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That is indeed what I meant.

Ah, in that case... what file types are they? Does any of this ring any bells? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200750
Yes, that sounds exactly like the problems I'm having.
So I did that last suggestion, signing out from my account and then signing back in and letting it rebuild the database, and everything seems to be working properly now. First I just put the Kobo books on it, then adding other books one at a time using Calibre, starting with the most recent ones. After about 10 books loaded and worked properly, I just went ahead and added the rest of them using Calibre in one fell swoop (I have over 300, really didn't want to keep adding and then testing them one by one...), and then tried opening a few others and they seem fine as well.
I did have to reauthorize the device using ADE, but so far so good.
Thanks!

EDIT: Now I just have to figure out how to get my highlights synched back up with their books...

Last edited by melabonbon; 01-26-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
EDIT: Now I just have to figure out how to get my highlights synched back up with their books...
For kepub, if you synced with the server, the annotations will be sync back with the book. For epubs, there isn't an automatic way to do it. You can copy the annot files from the Digital Editions\Annotations" and then return them later. If you didn't do that earlier, the annotations have probably been lost. If the files are still on the device, something might be possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
melabonbon

Before I did the initial factory reset, I did copy the Digital Editions folder (including the Annotations subfolder) to my computer. So, I can just click and drag that folder over to the device, and the Annotations will get connected to their corresponding books?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Before I did the initial factory reset, I did copy the Digital Editions folder (including the Annotations subfolder) to my computer. So, I can just click and drag that folder over to the device, and the Annotations will get connected to their corresponding books?
I have done it for one or two books at a time, and it worked fine. If the file names and directory structure match, it should be OK.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Also - did you save any Annotations etc via Calibre's Fetch Annotations?

They should still be on the Calibre version of the book.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
melabonbon

No, unfortunately I didn't see your advice about using Calibre to save the notes until after I had already just copied the Digital Editions folder to the desktop and reset the device to factory settings.
Copying the folder over to my device doesn't seem to worked. I opened books I know I had highlighted passages in but it tells me I don't have any annotations.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, unfortunately I didn't see your advice about using Calibre to save the notes until after I had already just copied the Digital Editions folder to the desktop and reset the device to factory settings.
Using calibre for this isn't very useful. It puts the annotations into the comments field of the book. There is no way to get them back to the device.
Quote:
Copying the folder over to my device doesn't seem to worked. I opened books I know I had highlighted passages in but it tells me I don't have any annotations.
Are you sure the path and name of the epub matched what it was before? If they have changed for some reason, then the name of the annotation file will also change. The annotations file is created the first time you open the ePub. You can check the name of the file that is created and then replace it with the one you saved earlier.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
melabonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Using calibre for this isn't very useful. It puts the annotations into the comments field of the book. There is no way to get them back to the device.

Are you sure the path and name of the epub matched what it was before? If they have changed for some reason, then the name of the annotation file will also change. The annotations file is created the first time you open the ePub. You can check the name of the file that is created and then replace it with the one you saved earlier.
When I copied them over, I got an "error" message for each one telling me there was already a file on the device with that name. In each case I told it to replace the newer file on the device with the older file that had been save to my computer before the device was reformatted. Was that right?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think what you did was right. From what Davidfor related on another post I was expecting it to work.
If copying the Digital Editions folder does not bring back the annotations and you need them urgently, you can try something. You could copy the KoboReader.sqlite that you saved before resetting the device back to the device now. This might, however, involve some dangers. If your ADE problems were related to the database, you will introduce them anew. Therefore, I would rather copy the bookmark entries from the old database to the new. In order to avoid interfering with the bookmarks of kepubs, which are handled by the synchronization, I would copy only those bookmarks of which the ContentID starts with "file:///mnt/onboard/". If you do not know how to do this somebody on this forum can certainly recommend which tool to use on your OS and provide you with the right commands. In any case, save your current KoboReader.sqlite again for further use in case something goes wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #28
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
sorry, just to be clear, do you mean that Calibre moves the annotation from the device to the computer?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Paola,
yes, this is what Davidfor is saying, cf. also post 3.If you would like to have the annotations and highlighted passages in a seperate file you can also try the tool referred to at this post. It is for Windows.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Paola,
yes, this is what Davidfor is saying, cf. also post 3.If you would like to have the annotations and highlighted passages in a seperate file you can also try the tool referred to at this post. It is for Windows.
many thanks tshering, from Lynx-lynx message I had understood that highlights would be copied, not moved, to Calibre. Now I get it, thank you all!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, blank pages, calibre, highlight text, kobo glo