Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Your Dream Online Bookstore and App

This is for those of you who aren't necessarily happy with your complete buying and reading experience at other online bookstores--no matter which one.

So, if you could have some "dream features" built-in to a new bookstore, what would you like to see?

And if you would like to see an ebook app that is more advanced that those currently available from the major sellers (or even if you know of an indie reader app that you love), what would you like to see in that new app?
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm probably not typical, but:

I see the ebook I want to buy,

It has no DRM,

I pay for it,

I download it right to my PC through the browser.

From my PC I can copy it to an SD card for my JBL, or my PDN, or my netbook. (I'm easy.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, cromag,

Thanks for the input!

I'm curious, do you feel a real need to have "instant-on" downloading like Whispersync, or would you be perpetually happy to download books only when you're able to do so over Wi-Fi or via physical transfer?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I greatly prefer physical transfer. I use wi-fi on the PDN only when I absolutely must (and grudgingly). The JBL doesn't have wi-fi and is my (much) preferred reader.

My current method allows me to keep a centralized "library" that is very easily backed-up to CD-R or external drive -- just copy the directory.

An example of a current frustrating (to me) situation. When Fictionwise was running I bought monthly issues of the four Dell magazines there -- Analog, Asimov's, Alfred Hitchcock's and Ellery Queen's. I could download them to my computer, then copy them to the JBL's SD card. Now that they're gone, I buy Analog and Asimov's at Barnes & Noble -- but, unlike the ebooks they sell, B&N won't allow me to download the magazines to my PC through my browser. I have to use my PDN, via wi-fi. Once the files are on the PDN I can copy them to an SD card for the JBL and the library on my PC. Between the loss of FW's discounts and the extra hassle involved, I stopped buying Alfred Hitchcock's and Ellery Queen's.

Again, I'm sure I'm not typical.

EDIT: Also, when I read, I read; when I shop, I shop. I don't need or want to combine them.

Last edited by cromag; 01-22-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com

I'm curious about your preference for physical transfer of new purchases. Why is that?

Also, on the magazine issue, yeah, that sounds like a problem. I'm wondering if that is a licensing issue. I'll be interested in talking with one of our distribution partners about that.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
cromag

Again, I just find it easier to manage and haven't needed or wanted anything that wi-fi offers.

As far as the magazine issue is concerned, that's nothing compared to Amazon. I haven't bought any there but, if I understand their policy correctly, seven months after I buy a magazine, they will delete it. Automatically. For my convenience. Whether I want to re-read them, or not. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I don't need an "ebook app"
I have similar needs as cromag.
Ideally I'd want the following:

1: DRM free Epubs

2: I pay for each ebook (no subscription based stuff)

3: I can redownload it (for example if I lose the epub I downloaded or whatever).

4: Also to be able to download it straight to my PC from a browser (meaning no requirement to install a program on my PC). Even better if I could download it to my kobo Ereader from the internal browser on the Ereader.

5: I don't get spammed with "helpful" suggestions of books via email or whatever.

6: a link on the goodreads website to purchase, which I use a lot.

7: No regionalization issues for book purchases.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
+3 to pretty much all of those.

I also won't pay more for an ebook than for the same book in paper - if the pbook is significantly cheaper I'll get it from my library instead as a matter of principle.

I prefer downloading via my pc because I use Calibre as my primary library. I don't much care if the transfer between the pc and my device is via cable or over my local wireless, but I don't want a third party app doing the sync for me.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I definitely don't want to have to use Adobe Digital editions to get my book.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
+ 4 for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Every title should be available for all regions, and with the same price. That's my dream.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
danskmacabre
Guru

Oh yes, and when I buy an ebook, it's MINE, I don't buy the rights to read it or whatever.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Every title should be available for all regions, and with the same price. That's my dream.
I second that, thought I'd prefer not to pay European prices for my books (most countries have fixed book pricing there) - so US prices for all! My ideal bookstore would be a combination of all international kindle stores into one, content-wise.

Unlike others above, I'd still want the instant wireless transfer, as well as unlimited amount of devices across all platforms, Whispersync, reading recommendations, etc. that Amazon offers.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I'm OK with the way the Sony bookstore works, except once I get into a category, there is no "sort by author" option. I don't understand that - even the lousy redesigned Overdrive library still has "sort by author".
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
+1 on the most of it.
epub, mine, PC-archiveable and no usage limiting DRM. Watermarks accepted.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote