Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
melabonbon
melabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Question How to save highlighted portions in books not bought from Kobo store?

Having an issue with my Kobo Glo where pages are blank aside from page numbers. I couldn't find anything online where anyone else was having the same issue.
I contacted customer service and they told me to delete the book and resync. As I told them, it's not just one book, it's every book I try. The page text appears for a second, then disappears and only leaves the page numbers. Sometimes when I open a book, the text is super tiny and in the upper left hand corner. The device was fine for the first month or so that I had it, this is a recent problem. I tried resyncing the device and at first it worked properly but after a day the problem came back.
Their advice then was to do a factory reset. Seems like kind of an extreme second suggestion, but whatever. My problem is that I have books on the device that I did not buy from the Kobo store, in which I have highlighted passages. I have backup "original" copies of all of my books on my computer, but how do I backup the versions that have the highlights?
I use Calibre, but I don't see anything in their help documentation about it.
melabonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
There are two locations where the highlights and annotations are saved on your device. One is in the folder "Digital Editions\Annotations" (note: saves only annotations and highlights of some file types), the other is the file ".kobo\KoboReader.sqlite". Save both on your pc before you reset your reader (I guess it is better to save the whole folder "Digital Editions"). This is all you can do at the moment. After you have solved the display problem you can start dealing with the highlights. Good luck!

Last edited by tshering; 01-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@melabonbon you can also save Annotations from your ebook into Calibre:

When you plug your device into Calibre you'll find it under:

Send to device

Fetch Annotations (experimental) - it's the last entry

When I've used Fetch Annotations it's been successful - but - they've all been Epubs.

You'll find them in the Metadata section of Calibre - as part of the general book info where you see the synopsis etc of the book.

Not necessarily ideal place to be located but they are able to be amended and copied etc from there.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
melabonbon
melabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to beholdmelabonbon is a splendid one to behold

Perfect, thank you both. I've saved the notes, reset the device, and now we'll see about get everything back on there. And if my blank page problem goes away...
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of curiosity have you opened the ebooks that have pages missing on your Device in Calibre?

So, go through the Calibre version of the book page by page and see if there are any blank pages or odd markers or something.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
melabonbon

Some of them I can't check in Calibre because they have DRM on them. But they are books I have read before with no problem, and they display fine in Adobe Digital Editions.
So I did the factory reset, transferred my books back over, and now I'm being told I can't open any of the DRM books because of an authorization issue with ADE.
So, I opened ADE, hooked my device up, deauthorized the device, reauthorized it, and then used ADE to transfer the books back over to my device and replace any copies that were already on the device.
Ejected the device, it told me it was updating, then about halfway through the screen turned entirely black. Wouldn't turn back on, so I did a basic reset.
Opened up one of the books that I was getting blank pages in, and it was fine. Checked another book that gave me issues, and it was fine. Tried another book and got the ADE/DRM error message, then went back and tried the first book again and this time the page is all black except for the page number at the bottom. If I try to turn a page, it just closes it and marks it as "finished. Tried the second book, same thing. Tried another book that has DRM on it, got the ADE/DRM error message.
Getting a bit annoyed because I did not have any of these issues, especially not the ADE/DRM one, with my Sony Reader.
Guess I should've hung onto that one.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Are you averse to using Apprentice Alf's tools via Calibre?

Removing the ADE imposition may sort it out.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I'm wondering - are the problem ebooks on the SD card?

Or in the main memory?

If they're on the SD card then was it new when you copied the books on it, or had you previously used it in another device?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
melabonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Are you averse to using Apprentice Alf's tools via Calibre?

Removing the ADE imposition may sort it out.
Sort out the ADE problem, or the blank screen problem, or both?

The problem happens with books on both the main device and on the SD card. The SD card was used in a previous device, but again these are books I've accessed in the past on this device and not had an issue with.

Also, right now it seems that the only books that work properly are the ones I've bought from the Kobo store.
I shut the device down, took out the SD card, and rebooted it just to see. Again, books that are only on the device now either give me the ADE/DRM error message, or have black pages except for the page numbers at the bottom, and when I try to turn pages, it closes the book and marks it "finished".

Last edited by melabonbon; 01-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Have I got this right - are the ebooks that are causing the problems now the same versions that you've used on another device? A non Kobo device?

Also - yep - I meant cleaning the books may eliminate all your issues with their readability, because it's the DRM restricted books that are causing the problems isn't it?

This must be extremely frustrating for you, I suspect all you wanted to do was to read and relax over the weekend instead of trying to sort out all these issues.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
melabonbon

Most of them, yeah. I had a Sony Reader for a couple years, and most of my books were used on that device, some of them even from the Kobo store. I got the Kobo Glo at the end of November, and have bought a couple books since then. Both the ones I had in the past on the Sony and those I have bought recently and only used on the Kobo are giving me issues. Except, of course, the ones that I bought from the Kobo store...

As it turns out, I can read PDFs okay. I'm not sure if the ePub books giving me problems all have DRM or not, some of the ones I'm trying to open are ones I thought were DRM-free, or public domain books I got from things like the Internet Archive, etc.
I think the ones that have DRM are giving me the ADE error, and the ones that are DRM-free are the ones giving me the black page issue.

It is very frustrating! This thing was working so nicely the first month or so. I have some paper books I checked out of the library, and as much as I enjoy e-reading, the hard copies are looking much more appealing right about now...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Yet another hopeful attempt at trying to help from me

Those ebooks that you can put through Calibre - how about Converting each of them Epub to Epub and see if they still cause the problems.

So, this means that you will do this Epub to Epub conversion using only the Calibre version of the book (I'm presuming that you've already got those books on Calibre?)

And then, if possible what if you use a brand new Micro SD card to download them to.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I do not understand how your DRM problem and your blank page problem are related. As for those books with the blank page problem, did you try to open the font settings on the device and change font face and size? Another question: Are the page numbers that are displayed somehow reasonable (like Page 5 of 187)? Or open the books always at the last page? I wonder whether the default font size by some accident (maybe somehow triggered by the DRM problem) became very small or even negative.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by melabonbon View Post
[...]
Ejected the device, it told me it was updating, then about halfway through the screen turned entirely black.
I think that is a big part of your problem. If it crashed in the middle of processing new books, it means (a) there's at least one 'bad' book in there that Kobo isn't happy with and (b) the processing wasn't completed, and not all books on your device will have been properly added to the database. This could cause blank pages and such things.

If I were you I'd do another factory reset, but this time, only load one book at a time. It might be very time consuming, but at least you can confirm that each book is accepted by the Kobo, until you come across one that isn't.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
melabonbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I do not understand how your DRM problem and your blank page problem are related. As for those books with the blank page problem, did you try to open the font settings on the device and change font face and size? Another question: Are the page numbers that are displayed somehow reasonable (like Page 5 of 187)? Or open the books always at the last page? I wonder whether the default font size by some accident (maybe somehow triggered by the DRM problem) became very small or even negative.

Yes, I did try adjusting the font settings, but no luck.
What was weird is that I would also try to do a search for a word in the book, and then click on one of the search results. The page would come up for a second, good sized text and everything, then go blank again.

And yes, the page numbers it displays are normal. The first time I would open the book, it would open at page 1 of whatever, and as I tried to flip pages, the page numbers would change accordingly. But everyone would be blank.

Tags
backup, blank pages, calibre, highlight text, kobo glo