Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Someone who lived the life she did surely deserves a better way to be remembered than this, but I can't help it. This is indelibly burned in my memory.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3523
Without watching it, I'll say that it's the Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akryod as Julia Child.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #92
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Anne Frank was available at the Los Angeles Public Library. I just checked it out since I've been wanting to read it anyway.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without watching it, I'll say that it's the Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akryod as Julia Child.
You'd be right. The SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd as Julia Child is one of those things that once you watch it, you can never unwatch it.

I wonder what she thought of it. I imagine she took it with a grain—or a dash, or a pinch—of salt.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #94
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I nominate Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

This has been a best seller earlier in the year, and is supposed to be a very good biography of Jobs' career.

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/steve-jobs...alter+Isaacson
http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Wal...alter+isaacson
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #95
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I'll third A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards

Last edited by sqdancer; 08-23-2012 at 10:21 PM.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #96
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
They sell it where I am; obviously it is georestricted.
Since Amazon, B&N and Sony do sell it in the US, obviously it is not georestricted here. It was pulled from Kobo only.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #97
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Since Amazon, B&N and Sony do sell it in the US, obviously it is not georestricted here. It was pulled from Kobo only.
I'm not quick enough on the edit I see. I was hoping to be quick enough to avoid a derailment.

Yes, geo-restriction was not the correct term to use in this situation. It is interesting that it would be pulled for the US.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #98
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I nominate Fire in the Belly: The Life and Times of David Wocjnarowitz, by Cynthia Carr.

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Sony Reader Store

Kobo Books (through an external search by Google)

Carr is an excellent reporter on the lives of artists -- as close to the facts in presentation as she is passionate about the subject -- and Wocjnarowicz, despite the tragedies of his life and childhood, represents an era of possibilities which no longer exist for urban American artists.

To read Carr is to be drawn into the story rather than conscious of the style.

Many of the professional and reader reviews have been laudatory so far.

I'd also like to support the nomination of Mythologies, by Roland Barthes, though I believe you have all the seconds and thirds you need.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-24-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

This has been a best seller earlier in the year, and is supposed to be a very good biography of Jobs' career.

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Wal...alter+isaacson
Good nomination, but a bit too large (IMHO) for most to finish in time.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #100
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I'll third A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards
This is in the MR Library uploaded by HarryT.

Edwards, Amelia B.: A Thousand Miles Up the Nile (Illustrated). v1. 12th May 2012

Mobi/prc / ePub / BBeB/LRF
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #101
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Seconded. I'm not sure I want to read it, but I vaguely feel as if I should.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My Life in France bu Julia Child just needs to be thirded and it can be gotten for FREE from some libraries that have Overdrive.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #103
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Just today, I was remarking to a friend that we really don't hear enough about Steve Jobs. That's why we need to read that bio: It isn't as if there will be a movie about him or any other books in the next few years.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #104
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Forgot your sarcasm tags. Here, you can borrow mine:

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, the Jobs bio should be rather interesting. For better or worse, he did affect the lives of all of us in one way or another.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #105
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I was going to third the Nile thingie, but since it's already good to go, my last kick at the can will be used to third Steve Jobs.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote