Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
MobileRead E-Book Genre List

Inspired by the Project Gutenberg Bookshelves, I've made a list of books available on Mobileread sorted by genre. No mainstream literature titles, just Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Mystery/Suspense, Horror, Westerns, Adventure, Travel, Poetry, Humor, etc.

I haven't read all these books, so I have relied on the posters' descriptions of the books and/or the author's reputation. I'm sure there are some mistakes and omissions so let me know if you see any.
updated- 3/3/2008
Attached Files
File Type: txt MobileRead Bookshelves.txt (42.0 KB, 1232 views)

Last edited by BenG; 03-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader

Is this ever a great help. I have been wishing that Mobile Reader had a way to supply a list like this. Maybe there is a way to convert this listing to a format that people could update when they post a new book.

BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
This list is a huge help. Thanks very much.

On a side note, for whatever reason, the books I have downloaded from MobileRead thus far have MUCH BETTER fonts (and larger) than what Sony provides for most of their books. That really helps those of us who are visually impaired.

Crusader
http://crusading4u.blogspot.com/
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm glad this works for you, Crusader.

If there is anyone who needs a larger print version of any of my uploads then please pm me and I will make you a version with even bigger print.

And Ben's list is very useful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader666 View Post
This list is a huge help. Thanks very much.

On a side note, for whatever reason, the books I have downloaded from MobileRead thus far have MUCH BETTER fonts (and larger) than what Sony provides for most of their books. That really helps those of us who are visually impaired.

Crusader
http://crusading4u.blogspot.com/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Fantastic work, Ben!

You guys are right - we need to have a genre category functionality.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should point out that, while I only included Sony Reader files, most of the books are available in other formats.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Fantastic work, Ben!

Thanks. Maybe you could do it in the Wiki.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Thanks. Maybe you could do it in the Wiki.
Or better: Allow the uploader to specify the genre, and allow downloaders to sort by genre afterwards.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Fantastic. Wonderfully done! Dare I even add...Woohoo!
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Fantastic work, Ben!

Plus, we could have a little corner somewhere to argue about where stuff should go! Jules Verne - Fiction or Science Fiction? The Bible - Fiction or Non-Fiction? E. A. Poe - Horror or Fiction? Oh, the possibilities are endless, really ... As a bookseller, I normally get paid to have this kind of argument, but I wouldn't mind having it in my spare time...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Plus, we could have a little corner somewhere to argue about where stuff should go! Jules Verne - Fiction or Science Fiction? The Bible - Fiction or Non-Fiction? E. A. Poe - Horror or Fiction? Oh, the possibilities are endless, really ... As a bookseller, I normally get paid to have this kind of argument, but I wouldn't mind having it in my spare time...
Well the first thing would be to define a list of terms for genre. For example the Bible point is mute if you have a genre called religion.

I tend to prefer more break downs of genre. Everything is either fiction or non-fiction so if there is a choice of horror or fiction then horror gets the nod as it is more specific. You only use the most generic terms when you don't have a choice. In some cases a book defies categorization and needs to be in more than one category I suppose.

I am surprised that most of the eBook readers don't already do category. I use this feature a lot in my eBookwise 1150.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Don't publishers already do this for you with the Dewey Decimal/Library of Congress info provided on the copyright page?

Or maybe that's not there in the ebook?
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
Thanks for the sorting, ben.
eppythacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Publishers specify genre as a marketing category, but I don't think either the Dewey Decimal system or the LOC system deal with genre for fiction. It's all just "fiction."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you create a MobiPocket book using "MobiPocket Creator" you choose the category from a fixed list. That at least should lead to reasonably consistent classification - in cases where it's unambigous, anyway. Eg, I classify my H. Rider Haggard books as "Action and Adventure"; the Edgar Rice Burroughs as "Science Fiction".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book genres, category, prefix, tag