Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
chrubble
chrubble began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre will not add books to Library (Windows Vista SP2)

I have recently reinstalled Windows Vista on my friend's laptop. After initial install I reinstalled Calibre and was able to load books to the Library OK. Then I realised I hadn't updated the Service Packs etc on Vista so I did that (usual 2 days of restarting). When the OS was up to date with Service Pack 2 and I attempted to use Calibre but the Library was corrupt. I uninstalled Calibre (including the roaming cache data) and reinstalled, but the application will still not add books to the Library, either individually or in bulk. It starts the process (for example in a bulk load it runs through all the directories), but then it hangs on on the "Adding" pop-up and the progress bar never moves beyond 0%.

The only other applications on the machine at the moment are Chrome browser, Open Office and the following security: AVG Free, Comodo Firewall, SuperAntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and CCleaner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE--------------

Out of interest I tried to open the the Calibre Configuration Directory in Miscellaneous Preferences and received the following error message, which I suspect is linked to the issue adding titles to the library:

Thanks

Last edited by chrubble; 01-07-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Update
chrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrubble View Post
I have recently reinstalled Windows Vista on my friend's laptop. After initial install I reinstalled Calibre and was able to load books to the Library OK. Then I realised I hadn't updated the Service Packs etc on Vista so I did that (usual 2 days of restarting). When the OS was up to date with Service Pack 2 and I attempted to use Calibre but the Library was corrupt. I uninstalled Calibre (including the roaming cache data) and reinstalled, but the application will still not add books to the Library, either individually or in bulk. It starts the process (for example in a bulk load it runs through all the directories), but then it hangs on on the "Adding" pop-up and the progress bar never moves beyond 0%.

The only other applications on the machine at the moment are Chrome browser, Open Office and the following security: AVG Free, Comodo Firewall, SuperAntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, and CCleaner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE--------------

Out of interest I tried to open the the Calibre Configuration Directory in Miscellaneous Preferences and received the following error message, which I suspect is linked to the issue adding titles to the library:

Thanks
Can you open that (hidden) folder from the OS (the path is near the Red X ) ?

Do you (your user) have full RW rights to all files and folders in the Library? (A trip via a CD will mark them read only)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
chrubble

Hi Ducks,

Thanks for the response. The folder .../appdata/Roaming/calibre is persistently set to "Read-only (only applies to files in folder)" - I have tried to uncheck and 'Apply', applying to folder, subfolders and files, but the Read-only box keeps re-enabling itself. in the Security tab of the folder properties the User and Admin have all permissions allowed. I don't understand what's going on with that folder?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Ducks,

Thanks for the response. The folder .../appdata/Roaming/calibre is persistently set to "Read-only (only applies to files in folder)" - I have tried to uncheck and 'Apply', applying to folder, subfolders and files, but the Read-only box keeps re-enabling itself. in the Security tab of the folder properties the User and Admin have all permissions allowed. I don't understand what's going on with that folder?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
That is the same as W7 . This is also the property of the calibre folder.
But all the file Contents of Calibre do NOT have this set.

It has to be something else
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
chrubble

Based on what is in the Calibre Config Directory on my Mac, there are some things missing in the Vista machine's folder.
-alfcrypto <folder>
- libalfcrypto.dylib
-customize.py
-iterator.pickle
-server_access_log.txt
-server_error_log.txt
-viewer.json

???
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
chrubble

I've tried removing the Read-only using the following at command prompt, and it still won't go!

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I've tried removing the Read-only using the following at command prompt, and it still won't go!

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
You can't change those FOLDERS, only file contents.

Those files you listed: exist from option usage:
those tools
Use of the content server
changeing the default config of the book viewer
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
chrubble

OK - The issue is with one of the security packages. I uninstalled Comodo, AVG, Ad-Aware and SuperAntiSpyware and now Calibre will load books to the library. I will update here after reloading the security packages one by one to see which one causes the embargo on the library.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OK - The issue is with one of the security packages. I uninstalled Comodo, AVG, Ad-Aware and SuperAntiSpyware and now Calibre will load books to the library. I will update here after reloading the security packages one by one to see which one causes the embargo on the library.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id52
I use AVG with the 64bit Calibre without problem
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@chrubble - You can relocate the configuration folder via an environment variable see ===>> http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
chrubble

Thanks to all for assistance with this. The issue appears to have been caused by Comodo Firewall. After reinstalling Comodo and running through the actions (load book to library, transfer book from library to device, transfer book from device to library) it appears there were permissions pop-ups from Comodo which did not occur in the first round. I don't know how you would retrospectively direct Comodo to give permissions to Calibre without the reinstall that I did - I imagine it is possible - but it is slightly annoying to have missed these requests and notifications the first time round. I suppose it means that Comodo is doing its job though, even if it's a bit over enthusiastic.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If I'd been a betting man I would have put my money on Comodo

I tried it once - soon came to the conclusion it was designed by/for bureaucrats as part of a make work programme

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If I'd been a betting man I would have put my money on Comodo

I tried it once - soon came to the conclusion it was designed by/for bureaucrats as part of a make work programme

BR
Yup, I used Comodo Internet Security for a while as well. Uninstalled it after it messed up my laptop so bad it wouldn't boot anymore (luckily it would still boot in safe mode so I could uninstall Comodo). A while ago I tried it again; hopeless. Win8.x's builtin Windows Defender will do for me, as long as I don't go delving into the deepest hells of the Internet.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote